SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#149013 - 10/30/03 11:15 PM So you wanna go Software, huh?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
In a recent post we've been talking about making Styles and how are the Styles on the Tyros, etc. made sooooo good. Well, come to find out a fellow SZ member is an 'expert' Style maker and he works for the major players like Yamaha, Korg, and GEM. His name is Chris A. (profile name) - and he stated that he uses Cubase VST32 5.1 as his sofware of choice for making some of the fantastic Styles we hear on the Tyros and Korg Pa1xpro. He is an expert Style Programmer and I guess he's been doing this sort of thing for 20 odd years or more.

As my contribution I wanted to provide our members with a link to the FULL PDF version of the book version of Cubase SX. The book originally cost around $37 [£24]. Please right click the file and choose "Save As" or "Save Target As" to save the file onto your Hard Drive. That way you will have it for future reference if need be. The PDF is very interesting and enlighening about making audio, midi, and even video for music production purposes. Well worth the read for those interested in delving into software based Sequencers for making Styles, Midi compositions, Audio files, ie. (songs, samples, etc.) The download is 4.73 MB. Enjoy!
http://www.novaproductionz.com/cubasesx.pdf

Best regards,
Mike

#149014 - 10/31/03 09:38 PM Re: So you wanna go Software, huh?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
When I first got my keyboard I wanted to make styles. I had a go at it for a few days and figured my time would be better spent learning new tunes practicing etc. because I wanted to play live.

Making styles is a great hobby and I'm sure a good paying job for some, but not for me. I want to use the great styles that the pro's make that came on my keyboard.

I have tried many converted styles from different keyboards, but basically I only use about 10 or so of the simpler ones. The intricate styles that were converted that I tried were disappointments to me.

I couldn't do a style as good as the ones that came on my board if I had a thousand years to try. Just my 3 cents worth.

If anyone here has made what they consider a good style and can convert it for the i30, I'd pay for it if I can use it.
Boo

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 10-31-2003).]

#149015 - 11/01/03 07:09 AM Re: So you wanna go Software, huh?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Gotta' agree with Boo. There are litterally thousands of wonderful styles available today, and if I lived to be 100 I wouldn't be able to produce styles half as good. My time as well is better served by practicing various songs with all those fantastic styles made by the experts.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#149016 - 11/01/03 08:01 AM Re: So you wanna go Software, huh?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
You mean Chris Anthony of GEM? I thought he worked for GEM exclusively.

#149017 - 11/01/03 08:57 AM Re: So you wanna go Software, huh?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I think I can make a pretty fair style, or better I should say I've made a scant few that worked well for me. Part of it was the challenge of being able to do it, but also came the realization that there is a lot that has to go into it to get it to sound and work right, and it serves me little purpose when I want to create a new, natural sounding song, because it takes me longer to make the style than if I did the song from scratch.

There are more than enough styles out there to cover most of the material I do for the occasional ( rare right now ) live show, so like many others for the most part I'll leave the stylemaking to the pros, although I have used the PA80 style sequencer quite a bit for arrangement and quick playback of patterns ( particularly drums ) that I can't find in the styles.

With the ES, I really don't need to use the PA80's style sequencer much anymore. It's quicker to make some patterns in the ES' pattern sequencer than in the PA80's, and melodic parts or bass lines / rythyms, can be assigned as user arps. The advantage for studio / compositional work is that I can mix and match quickly. I'm not locked in like I am with a set style, so that I can instantly use bass line c with drum pattern b, and then use bass line b with drum pattern d, etc, without having to morph a style. Arps can be set up to recognize fingered chords ( like an arranger ), or individual notes, including the order in which they are played. This gives a little more flexibility.

The other reason is that for me, the PA80, while it has nice drums and synth sounds, doesn't quite match up to the Motif ( I know all a matter of taste ) in a lot of the other sound groups, especially acoustic instruments.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 11-01-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online