SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#14859 - 10/07/02 02:57 PM wk8 hard drive limitations?
kevind Offline

Loc: Manchester UK
Hi all, does anyone the limit of folders on the wk8 hard drive 999 or less?

Kevin

#14860 - 10/08/02 02:05 PM Re: wk8 hard drive limitations?
JoostMerema Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Briljant!
The question almost makes me to unscrew the harddisk, put it in the computer and start making new folders I can hardly resist!

I bet everyone wants to share with you; that is if you have more than 999 blocks of songs, sounds, perfs and styles in your WKx

If you have, please contact me

Greetz!

Joost

PS I know this posting has an overdosis of smilies That's intentionally

#14861 - 10/09/02 10:45 AM Re: wk8 hard drive limitations?
kevind Offline

Loc: Manchester UK
no I don't have more than 999, but I do have more than 256 not all converted from my WX yet, which was a limit of root entries on old Atari systems. I asked so I could be prepared if there was such a limit

Kevin

#14862 - 10/23/02 06:56 AM Re: wk8 hard drive limitations?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kevind:
Hi all, does anyone the limit of folders on the wk8 hard drive 999 or less?

Kevin

Well, I can't comment about the total number of folders but I can about the total number of files that goes into the SMF folders on my WK8.

511. 511 songs (midi files) is the limit to the first SMF 1 folder.

How do I know....Because I hit that level this past weekend. So there I am saving my new midis and BAM, can't add anymore. What's up? And I can't find anything in the manual stating the limitation. So I have to press the UP button to take me to the top of the list (the root of the drive) where the . . (dot dots) are. Press Enter and then I can see the rest of the folders. Oh, now I get it...I have 5 SMF folders. So I open up SMF 2 and save away.

Here's the next snag I noticed, everytime I want to save a midi file now, it still goes back into SMF 1 and starts at the very bottom of the list (511). And I have to press the UP button to take me to the top so I can move to the next folder (takes about 30 seconds to get there).

Anybody know of a way to get the SAVE function to start at the root of the drive? It probably does for blocks but not for single midi files.(at least not on mine)

Thanks.

mike

#14863 - 10/24/02 08:34 AM Re: wk8 hard drive limitations?
JoostMerema Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Maybe renaming the SMF1 dir to SMF2 might help? This way you still start in SMF1, but the problem is away!

BTW for filling the Wk8 directory to the max with Midi files Respect to you !

greetz
Joost

[This message has been edited by JoostMerema (edited 10-24-2002).]

#14864 - 10/25/02 06:41 AM Re: wk8 hard drive limitations?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Joost,

Well, I got all excited yesterday after reading your post. That was a very good tip by the way.

I couldn't find any utility that would allow me to rename my folders already on the hard drive. I thought I read somewhere that you have to take the drive out of the keyboard and install it into a computer as a slave to do any renaming or adding of folders.(?) I don't plan on doing that anytime soon (unless I absolutely had to).

Anyway, I'll live with it for now and keep messin' with it (keeping my fingers crossed that Chris A. might have an idea or two).

mike

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online