SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#148574 - 06/18/02 09:51 AM What are insetion effects for?
Newbie2 Offline

What are insertion effects? Does the PSR2000 have them? I want to learn all I can,peace

jj(newbie

#148575 - 06/18/02 10:17 AM Re: What are insetion effects for?
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Delays, reverb, echo, etc. can all be inserted into your voices. I would think that the PSR2000 can do this, however, I don't know anything about the PSR2000, so someone who has one will need to address the capabilities of that keyboard.

Regards,
Steve

#148576 - 06/18/02 10:18 AM Re: What are insetion effects for?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You know, I think I know what insertion effects are. I think they are the effects you can use on individual voices, as opposed to those that are on the entire keyboard.
If that is what you are referring to, then the PSR2000 certainly has them.
Have you downloaded the owner's manual yet?
It might give you the answer. You can get it from Yamaha's website at no charge.
DonM

#148577 - 06/18/02 10:22 AM Re: What are insetion effects for?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yup, that's right Don!
An insert effect only modifies ONE sound. Many mixer consoles have a patch point that allows you to "insert" the desired effect between the input and output stage of the preamp .... hence the name.

#148578 - 06/18/02 02:02 PM Re: What are insetion effects for?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Yup, that's right Don!
An insert effect only modifies ONE sound. Many mixer consoles have a patch point that allows you to "insert" the desired effect between the input and output stage of the preamp .... hence the name.

It's called Send and return Dave

#148579 - 06/18/02 02:54 PM Re: What are insetion effects for?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
At a recent week long Keyboard Festival in the UK I spent a little time with one of the Yamaha demonstrators and he gave me a few tips about how they set for demonstration purposes to get the best out of the board by setting up the effects on the voices. This is a general setting they use most of the time with most of the voices for demonstration purposes. He was discussing the 9000 & 9000PRO.

Mixer Page. Effect Type, set HALL 3 on all 3 Right Hand Voices.
Effects Setting. Reverb set to Zero. DSP set to between 40 to 45.
The reason the Reverb is Zero so it does not interact with the DSP settings. To use the Reverb as well will crowd the DSP effect.
I have spent a bit of time trying these setting and I feel that on Brass, Saxes Trumpet . Guitars etc: there is an improvement in vibrancy
(if that's the word). Thought Yamaha owners might be interested.

Graham UK

#148580 - 06/18/02 05:23 PM Re: What are insetion effects for?
Midnite Rider Offline

Loc: Whittier, CA, USA
Originally posted by STEVIZARD
Delays, reverb, echo, etc. can all be inserted into your voices. I would think that the PSR2000 can do this, however, I don't know
anything about the PSR2000, so someone who has one will need to address the capabilities of that keyboard.

The key is what kind of effect your wanting determines whether it would be inserted or global. The question to ask yourself is do I want to mix the effect with the direct (dry) signal, or do I want the whole signal effected. Parametric EQ is an easy example. If I put a big boost in the bass, I dont want to mix the bass boosted (effected) signal with the flat (dry) signal. This is an insert effect. The processor is "inserted" into the signal path, so the whole signal is effected (not mixed). Distortion and Compression are 2 other obvious examples, where insert effects are required.

With reverb and echo and such, you want a blend of direct and effected signal. 100% reverb with no direct signal sound goofy. This is a global effect.

Hope that helps.

Midnite

[This message has been edited by Midnite Rider (edited 06-18-2002).]

#148581 - 06/19/02 06:21 AM Re: What are insetion effects for?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Midnite,
Your statement is confusing. An insert effect is always "mixed" with the original signal. It is just NOT mixed (or applied) to other signals. The original signal passes through the effect and back into the signal path AFTER the original signal. This way it ONLY affects (effects) the signal intended.
Your theory is almost correct, but I think the way you stated it will confuse some of the readers. Maybe we're saying the same thing and don't realize it?

#148582 - 06/19/02 11:29 AM Re: What are insetion effects for?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I thought the insert effect was out of my "league" since last Monday..At least that is what Uncle Dave told me..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 06-19-2002).]

#148583 - 06/19/02 03:18 PM Re: What are insetion effects for?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Ok, let me try,

insert effect is the when you send the whole signal to the effect processor and apply the whole effect on the signal (of course, some some effects processors allow you to apply the effect on part of the original signal, if this is the case, they will have dry/mix percentage) and then when they return, they actually return to same point of insertion for that individual track/channel.

send effects is when you send part of the signal and apply the effect processing on that particular part but the signal is not returned at the point of send but to the stereo master bus that is shared with all other channels or tracks. So the "unsent" part of the signal will go through the pan and eventually be mixed with the "sent" portion of the signal.

I wonder if I got it right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online