SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#148351 - 11/18/00 12:10 PM Keyboard Amps?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
How many of you use keyboard Amps? Do you use them at home, to play live, or both? Are you happy with it or do you wish you had something else? I'm waiting for Donny to comment after he uses the Carvin AG100 for a while.

Anybody use a Crate KX Keyboard Amp? A friend who plays 5 nights a week has one and uses it quite a bit and is really satisfied. What about a Fender KXR Keyboard Amp? What about a Samson KM 140?

I know Scott has the Roland and is happy but I want to know about Keyboard Amps with at least 3 channels with separate bass, reverb etc settings. Please help here before I throw my money away!!

I want it now for home. But hope to use it in live performance in the future also. Come on there must be some of you who has this type of equipment. They are not making it for nothing. Someone is buying this stuff. Donny is. Don't be intimidated by the guys with the thousands of dollars of PA systems. Voice your opinion.

If you have it and like it please tell!! If you have it and are not satisfied, please, save the rest of us who want the easy way out with a one unit product a lot of trouble.

#148352 - 11/19/00 11:21 PM Re: Keyboard Amps?
SEA Offline

I bought this recently...(Fender SFX 200). So far,I really like it.I got it for a great price($400,no tax...free shipping).At this online store,they are on backorder...but click on this if you are interested:
http://www.americanmusical.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?T1=FEN+228503

#148353 - 11/20/00 10:10 AM Re: Keyboard Amps?
brickboo Offline

Sea,
I happened to visit their site 2 days ago. They have a scratched amp for $379. The price is great it originally sold for over $600 and had a list price of close to $1000.

I don't know about the 83 lbs. I also want to know if it has digital effects and can they be set separately on each channel. If you'd like to email me please feel free to do so.
Thanks Boo

#148354 - 12/09/00 11:53 AM Re: Keyboard Amps?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
SEA, Boo, everyone,

Sorry to revive this really old thread, but do any of you have opinions/experience with the Fender SFX 200? I have not been able to find one in the local stores, so I have to rely on the feedback of like-minded users. How is the stereo effect? Handling of the frequency range? Any other shortcomings I should know about?

I would prefer a true stereo system (2 speakers), but there is nothing I can find that comes even close to the proce of this Fender.

Thank you all,
Alex

#148355 - 12/09/00 12:30 PM Re: Keyboard Amps?
brickboo Offline

Alex,

I tried a Crate KK160. It sounded very good. But too many here and on other forums boast of the Stereo sound. So, I'm going to go Powered Speakers or Powered stereo amp. I'm waiting until the guys get to hear the new Yamaha Passive S15E speakers with the 2" Titanium What-Cha Ma-call-it. It may be great but no one seems to be familialr with them. The price is at $229 each now. I think it is worth waiting to hear input from the pros.

I've sort of made up my mind to wait. But I don't need them tomorrow. I know how you feel. If we all had the gigs, we'd just go out and buy the Mackies and not worry about it. I wonder if Don, Dave, Scott and Donny realize how fortunate they are and appreciate what they are doing.

I have a very good friend that plays great tenor in New Orleans that plays on an average of 4 times a week. But not 6 days a week. And I don't think anyone here know's his ax as well as Jerry in New orleans.

He wrote some scores for a couple of movies when he was in LA. He is 58 and he's been playing since 10 or so. Sometimes it is the area. In New Orleans it is still bands. And bands cost a bit more then a solo. Wish we all could have started on arrangers back in the fifties.
I got off of the subject. Sorry about that.
Boo

#148356 - 12/09/00 02:01 PM Re: Keyboard Amps?
Dnj Offline

Boo,

I have gigged at least 20x so far with the Carvin AG100D and it does an excelent job for what I bought it for (small room gigs)light weight and Great sound for arranger keyboard and vocals and mini discs playback.

Again for the bigger venues The Mackie SRM450 speakers are unsurpassed in my opinion for power, clarity, convienience.
As far as stereo, depending on the size room and amount of people I will use one or two speakers. Stereo is not a big thing for me and to be truthfull most people in the audience wouldn't know the difference anyway.
The Solton X1 does an excellent job in mono or stereo. I would suggest (only if you need the power) to get ONE Mackie SRM 450 and down the road if needed get another one.

Donny

#148357 - 12/10/00 01:10 AM Re: Keyboard Amps?
Alex K Offline

Boo, Donny,

thank you for the comments. I am a bit envious of you fellows who have X1s or other keyboards with speakers. When I take a plunge, my next one will definitely have speakers built in. However, my current instrument is G1000, which has no speakers.

As I do not play many gigs (probably about once a month on average), I need an amp which would provide me with good stereo sound when I play at home, and sufficient power when I play out. I do not need 300 watts of the Mackie, and I'd like to pay less than the $700 that one costs.

My current amp, an older Peavey KB150 works OK, but it is big, heavy, and only produces a monophonic sound. When I play through the built-in speakers of the old E70, which are not really powerful enough, I can appreciate the difference the stereo sound makes. I don't really sing, so unlike some of the pros in this forum who can make a party come alive with a harmonica, I have to rely on the sound of the keyboard.

The Fender appears to fit my requirements (though it would be nice if it were a bit lighter), at least on paper. Hence, I'd like to hear people's opinions, or suggestions of the alternatives which would give me simiar functionality (stereo sound) for similar price (around $400).

Thanks again,
Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K (edited 12-10-2000).]

#148358 - 12/10/00 08:21 AM Re: Keyboard Amps?
Alex K Offline

Thanks, Uncle Dave,

I am going to look into the PC speaker systems. The Peavey KB-150 is an older amp (I think it was replaced by KB/A-150 before being replaced by KB-300). The difference in physical speaker is that KB-150 uses a Black Widow woofer, while KB-300, I believe, uses Scorpion. Undoubtedly, the electronics of the amp also has changed, but that is less obvious to me. I believe both the -150 and -300 weigh over 80 lbs, which is hard to get around without the built in casters (perhaps that will be my project for the holidays).

I am going to see if I can use the PC speakers for home, and just keep my amp for playing out.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Alex.

#148359 - 12/10/00 08:55 AM Re: Keyboard Amps?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Guys, (and girls?),
See my post under monitors before making your decision as to speakers.
DonM

#148360 - 12/10/00 03:44 PM Re: Keyboard Amps?
makalei Offline

Loc: st pete,fl.
I use the new JBL G2's lot's of power and great sound

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online