SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147028 - 06/21/03 07:53 AM TYROS Verdict..Good ..Bad..Wish List?..........
Dnj Offline

Well its been a while since Tyros has hit the streets around the world. I personally havn't played one although I did perform with the Psr9k for a year amongst many other popular Arranger KB's. I now enoy using a Roland G1000 which is a proven Winner No Doubt on stage!
I now would like to know from all Tyros owners their likes and dislikes regarding all aspects of the Kb eg: Navagation, Seq, Weight, KeyFeel, sound, etc etc and anything else you can think of good or bad!
Fran....Im not getting rid of my G1000....but just curious about the Tyros as a second KB.

Thanx

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#147029 - 06/21/03 08:07 AM Re: TYROS Verdict..Good ..Bad..Wish List?..........
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
um, sure ............. you're itchy, and you KNOW IT !

#147030 - 06/21/03 08:33 AM Re: TYROS Verdict..Good ..Bad..Wish List?..........
Dnj Offline

hahahahahahah............
and your not ? Hmmmmmmmm?

no speakers ..no problem...Ive been weened!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-21-2003).]

#147031 - 06/21/03 08:45 AM Re: TYROS Verdict..Good ..Bad..Wish List?..........
trtjazz Offline

Donny, being one of the first kids on the block with one, I've had a long time to work with it. Everything you mentioned about the board I think is great plus more, like the large tilting screen big +

The very few things I have found to dislke are:
1. The speaker setup. I like the external concept I just do not like via wiring stupidity the sub has to be run to make the speaker outs work. I would have preferred more flexibility in this area. Of course they can be branched off the mains and run that way for more options.

2. Hate that they dropped the "scat" voices.

3. They also could have kept some consistency in the way the sub menus work for my tastes, some require one button sequence and then another will require a different one.

4. I suppose some sort of expansion slots for things like the scat voices would have been very cool to.

Navigation and user friendliness get an A+, I rarely have to look at the manual. Voices, excellent, USB now exceelent, all around the Tyros gets about a 95% out of 100% for me and it will have to take a very cool board to win me away from it.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#147032 - 06/21/03 10:06 AM Re: TYROS Verdict..Good ..Bad..Wish List?..........
trtjazz Offline

Geez....how'd we jump from a Tyros good/bad list to a sales pitch for the KN.....did I miss a post in between here somewhere?
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#147033 - 06/21/03 11:02 AM Re: TYROS Verdict..Good ..Bad..Wish List?..........
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
My local dealer says a number of buyers of the tyros moving from the 9000Pro wished they had the 9000Pro back. He did not state the reasons, possibly they miss the 76 keys, possibly they miss the better quality key feel. ????
Why Yamaha in their wisdom left out the Scat voices and the extra third split (one more than the Tyros splits. And now they have increased the price here in the UK.

Graham UK

#147034 - 06/21/03 12:12 PM Re: TYROS Verdict..Good ..Bad..Wish List?..........
trtjazz Offline

Having had the 9k....I would not go back to it from the Tyros, I like the Tyros better.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#147035 - 06/21/03 01:31 PM Re: TYROS Verdict..Good ..Bad..Wish List?..........
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Donny: Count me as a very HAPPY & satisfied Tyros owner. I now utilize it exclusively for ALL my show performances. But then again, I had been pretty pleased (overall) with the PSR2000 as well.

Donny, like you, I'm now weaned off the need for onboard speakers, especially now, utilizing the Motion Sound KP-100S stereo amp/speaker unit (with upgraded woofers to provide more impressive enhanced bass), as it often performs double duty (smaller venues) for both personal stereo monitoring as well as providing the sound to the audience. With the KP-100S, I no longer need to utilize the Tyros satellites & subwoofer speakers. The Tyros/Motion Sound KP100S system makes for the lightest convenient (for transport) professional keyboard/speaker amp package with high quality stereo sound that I know of.

Donny, I remember you dumped the PSR2000 only a couple of weeks (or was it just days?) after purchasing it. What exactly was the reason? The Tyros' OS navigation is basically the same as on the 2000 but with some new features & enhancements. The Tyros includes mega voices which enhance the style parts, and a few other improved panel voices like the acoustic piano and harmonica, but other than that, the only advantages offered by the Tyros are what I've outlined below. Donny, if the PSR2000 didn't satisfy you and the below Tyros feature additions don't address the unhappiness you experienced with the 2000, then you'll probably not be happy with the Tyros either.

Ok, here are the reasons I upgraded from the PSR2000 to the Tyros:

1) Substantially better sounding live Grand 'acoustic piano' sample
3) Keys & keyboard action more solidly build to withstand the riggers of gigging
2) Substantially more responsive synth action keyboard feel
3) Supports hard drive (off the shelf generic)
4) Convenient Tyros file organization, transfer, and backup to/from your PC via usb.
5) Convenient editing of Tyros internal sounds (voices) via your PC
6) Six dedicated buttons for intro & endings: 3 intros and 3 endings
7) Onboard vocalizer sound quality improved
8) Substantially larger LCD display, with tilt screen & color, and with much larger easier to read text/graphics fonts.
9) Three programable foot pedal jacks vs 2 on the Tyros. Having 3 is a MUST for me.
10) Mic volume knob conveniently situated next to the Tyros master volume knob for quick on the fly adjustment. There's also (as included on the PSR2000) a mic trim knob on the back of the keyboard.
11) Lightweight (27 lbs)
12) A dedicated Registration bank button for quicker access to Registration Banks (the PSR2000/2100 sorely lacks this)

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
My local dealer says a number of buyers of the tyros moving from the 9000Pro wished they had the 9000Pro back. He did not state the reasons, possibly they miss the 76 keys, possibly they miss the better quality key feel. ????

Graham: Though I've never owned a 9000pro, I've played them on several occasions. Yes, the 9000pro is a great keyboard, but imo, the Tyros offers more for the live arranger player: Improved sounds (mega voices & several others), styles (much higher ppq resolution = more life like), integration of OTS with each style, color LCD screen= improved viewing ease, streamlined improved OS navigation. I also prefer the keyboard action (feel) of the Tyros but I realize that this is just a matter of personal taste.

Though having 76 keys is a clear advantage for 'solo' piano playing, for auto accompaniment playing, I see NO advantage. In split mode, the left hand only requires 1-1/2 octaves to trigger and voice all chords & inversions, leaving 3-1/2 octaves for the right hand, which is only 1/2 octave less than the total number of octaves available (from middle C to the highest note) on an 88 note keyboard. This certainly is sufficient for right hand part keyboard playing as I've NEVER felt the lack of keyboard playing range playing on my 61 note Tyros in arranger mode playing.

Quote:

Why Yamaha in their wisdom left out the Scat voices and the extra third split (one more than the Tyros splits.

Graham: For my playing, I've never found a need for an extra 3rd split. I'm curious how often you actually utilize it in 'your' keyboard playing. Features are nice to have, but only if you REALLY do use them. On the other hand, scat voices , though not a necesity (for me), they would have been a welcome addition on the Tyros.

Scott

#147036 - 06/21/03 03:31 PM Re: TYROS Verdict..Good ..Bad..Wish List?..........
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Scott. Regarding the right hand splits. I have a number of regular used registration setups with 2 sets of right voices (1 split) and I can still contain the left hand voice with the ACC's.
Another example the tune LOCOMOTION. I move the left hand voice (Brass Stabs) up into lower right hand in addition to 2 more separate right hand voice sections. this give 3 separate right voices. This is where the 76 keys come in.
I play a Tyros every week but the 9000Pro's key feel and response is for me far superior. Its all a matter of adapting to ones requirements. If I were to make a change at this time I would have a PSR2100 + PSR 292 as lower keyboard midi to trigger 2100 ACC & lower voice. I have seen this setup and its very infectious.

Graham UK

#147037 - 06/21/03 04:16 PM Re: TYROS Verdict..Good ..Bad..Wish List?..........
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Its all a matter of adapting to ones requirements.

Hi Graham. I totally agree with you here. We all have different keyboard playing needs. Each brand as well as their models offer distinct advantages & weaknesses. The frustrating thing (at times) is having so many choices to choose from. Frankly though, I appreciate the opportunity to have so many choices available. The trick is finding the keyboard best suited for 'you'. I think I (for now) have found mine in the Tyros. - Scott

#147038 - 06/21/03 08:26 PM Re: TYROS Verdict..Good ..Bad..Wish List?..........
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
I play just about everyday the Tyros, SD1, PA 80-60, etc....I notice that in particular the latino beats, Do not confuse with Spanish styles such Paso Doble, Jota, Gipsy, Rumba Flamenca, Sevillana, etc.........I am talking about the so call "mexican beat" or something, I think the style designers should be more careful, is almost insulting, nor is mexican, hispanic, or south-american.

I could not help comparing all this High end Keyboards, and I can say that Korg and Ketron have done their homework very well, their etnic styles are in "caracter", correctly orchestraded, not a conseptual "idea" of a style like in the Tyros in this particular group. I make this coments so they could be correct it for the future models.
I understand that is difficult to design a keyboard that will be appealing to all sorts of people, music taste, etnic groups, skills, etc.
I am also aware that there is not such thing as a "perfect" keyboard, but maybe, just maybe, some brand/model may came close.

#147039 - 06/21/03 08:30 PM Re: TYROS Verdict..Good ..Bad..Wish List?..........
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mdorantes:
I play just about everyday the Tyros, SD1, PA 80-60, etc....I notice that in particular the latino beats, Do not confuse with Spanish styles such Paso Doble, Jota, Gipsy, Rumba Flamenca, Sevillana, etc.........I am talking about the so call "mexican beat" or something, I think the style designers should be more careful, is almost insulting, nor is mexican, hispanic, or south-american.

I could not help comparing all this High end Keyboards, and I can say that Korg and Ketron have done their homework very well, their etnic styles are in "caracter", correctly orchestraded, not a conseptual "idea" of a style like in the Tyros in this particular group. I make this coments so they could be correct it for the future models.
I understand that is difficult to design a keyboard that will be appealing to all sorts of people, music taste, etnic groups, skills, etc.
I am also aware that there is not such thing as a "perfect" keyboard, but maybe, just maybe, some brand/model may came close.

Maybe Yammy is trying to emulate East L.A. and not really Mexico with those styles.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#147040 - 06/22/03 03:28 PM Re: TYROS Verdict..Good ..Bad..Wish List?..........
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Terry:
With all the respect, Would it make sense to name polka the waltz??, I do not think so, nor is an East LA style.....or anything that is imply by that name.....remember that my comment is to correct something I KNOW is wrong, and it could have been a more usefull to have included more playable styles that really exist like:
Cumbia ( there are several types ), Bachata, Vallenato, Guajira, Bolero Ranchero, etc. instead of "inventing" or naming something that does not represent a real "etnic" pattern.

#147041 - 06/22/03 05:15 PM Re: TYROS Verdict..Good ..Bad..Wish List?..........
trtjazz Offline

mdorantes,

Notice the smile at the end? I was not trying to be insulting, I was making a joke (a poor one I guess in this case) as to Yamaha not knowing the correct way to make the style (since they are in the L.A. area) to your expectations. I was suggesting they went to E. L.A. instead of Mexico to figure out how to do it......ugh nevermind, sorry if you took it seriously and were insulted.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online