SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#1466 - 03/10/04 02:07 PM which synth?
Anonymous
Unregistered

hello i'm looking into a few synths a nd kurzweil happens to be one of them. i was looking at the 2600r and then i saw the k2661. i am really just looking for rack synths not keyboards.i also am lokking for a korg ms2000r and then i saw the ms2000br.which one is better. i also am looking into waldorf the q rack 32 voice.and a roland jp8080. if anyone can help me out by explaining the comparisons between the kurzweil's and the korgs that would be great. any other opinions on the others would be great. also any suugestions on vintage analog or good sounding synths would be much appreciated.

#1467 - 03/10/04 03:35 PM Re: which synth?
Synthoid Offline

Loc: USA
Hi....hope I can contribute a helpful opinion. I've played the Kurzweils, the Motif, Roland Fantom and the Triton. I've had a Triton for over 3 years and it's the easiest to learn of all, based on my own experience and what I've read on various online forums.

The Kurzweils are the most expensive and offer the best acoustic sounds. They are considered very complex and take a lot of "digging" to learn how to operate and program. The Yamaha Motif also does a great job with pianos and acoustic stuff, but its operating system is confusing to many people. The Roland Fantom offers a nice palette of sounds and nice features, but I preferred the Korg Triton because of the touch screen, ease of use, fantastic synth sounds, arpeggios, sampling, and easy-to-use 16 track sequencer. There are also lots of free sounds to download online for it.

You can pick up a used Triton Classic for under $1000 by the way, but if I was buying a synth or workstation today, I'd get a
Triton Extreme--loaded with new sample ROM, more memory storage and cooler features.

Rack units are also available for most current workstations.

As far as used synths go, watch out for older analog synthesizers. They are usually overpriced, suffer from unstable tuning, and don't like to be moved around a lot. I would recommend something from the 80's or early 90's like a Korg M1 or Roland D-50.

I'm not familiar with the rack units you mentioned, however, I've heard Waldorf might be going out of business, so I wouldn't recommend their gear.

[This message has been edited by Synthoid (edited 03-10-2004).]

#1468 - 03/12/04 11:44 AM Re: which synth?
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok.i already own a triton studio, motif es6,
roland xv-5050,virus xl,emu turbo phatt,and a red sound elevata. i will soon purchase the fantom xr(rack) i dont need anymore keyboards. just rack units.. thanks ..

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online