SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#145881 - 11/10/02 07:31 AM Re: Pretty Woman
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
I am not sure if someone mentioned the following above (I don't have time to read it all right now), but on my X1 (with the Oriental OS installed) my MANUAL BASS button becomes a conversion button for a FILL to become 2/4 rather than 4/4. In others words if I push MANUAL BASS, then push FILL, it will only play 2 of the 4 beats then go back to the first beat of the STYLE. I use that nicely when ever there are those 2 beat in 4/4 songs, and it works nicely.

#145882 - 11/10/02 07:07 PM Re: Pretty Woman
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Hi Boo
I too have it sequenced.
Basically used 2:4 time throughout, built the percussion from scratch for every bar.
Wanna try something interesting, try Sting's "I Hung My Head." 5:4 time. Now there's a challenge.

#145883 - 11/10/02 09:34 PM Re: Pretty Woman
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Leon,

All the sax players around New Orleans had to learn Take 5 in the 60's. I think that is the first 5/4 tune ever accepted commercially and play on radios all over the country.

People just don't appreciate that stuff today. Real Jazz is dead.
Boo

#145884 - 11/12/02 06:53 AM Re: Pretty Woman
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
boo ..... I use it sequenced .... my left hand is nowhere near UD's and others ... the 2/4 bar shows up in a lot of tunes.... Kenny Roger's Lady, Eagles' Desperado, just 2 that come to mind real quick ... it's a pain and most times I ignore it, (so does the audience)... but as someone said, it usually appears an even number of times, so it works out in the end ...
t.

#145885 - 11/12/02 06:57 AM Re: Pretty Woman
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Both "Lady" and "Desperado" sound just fine played on straight piano with strings in the background. I try to do at least one number each set with NO rhythm at all, and these are two great examples of songs that work in that style.(or LACK thereof !)

#145886 - 11/12/02 07:51 AM Re: Pretty Woman
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
The 2 beat measure was never a problem with some of my older keyboards (like the PSR 5700) which had a "Restart Button". The instant you hit it, it went to the down beat. It was far prefferable to turning the bass line upside down...especially in well known country tunes.

Eddie

#145887 - 11/12/02 09:03 PM Re: Pretty Woman
Cosmik Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
Hi Mosiqaar,
You know what?
You inadvertently solved the mistery which had me puzzled since I got my X1.
For some reason, most of my fill-ins ran 2/4 and then back to first measure.
I thought it was part of the style but it was inconsistent and it irritated me because it threw me off, especially at the beginning.

Now, thanks to you, I know why.
I generally setup with the "Manual Bass" and "To Root" on because I sometimes like to walk the bass with the left hand.

After reading your comment, I tried turning off the "Manual Bass" and magic, the fill in is now the normal 4/4 and I know that if I really want that 2/4 frill I can get it.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally posted by Mosiqaar:
I am not sure if someone mentioned the following above (I don't have time to read it all right now), but on my X1 (with the Oriental OS installed) my MANUAL BASS button becomes a conversion button for a FILL to become 2/4 rather than 4/4. In others words if I push MANUAL BASS, then push FILL, it will only play 2 of the 4 beats then go back to the first beat of the STYLE. I use that nicely when ever there are those 2 beat in 4/4 songs, and it works nicely.

#145888 - 11/13/02 03:07 AM Re: Pretty Woman
bitdump3 Offline

Loc: Fano, Italy
The Pa80s TapTempo is also a Reset (restart) button when the style is playing.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online