SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#145812 - 01/15/02 07:52 PM Korg PA-80 Spotted on Television Today!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I was flipping through the channels today and I passed by the Home Shopping Network, and something caught my attention.. They were having a special with John Tesh, and his group..... Well of course John Tesh was playing that huge beautiful grand he's always seen with, but to the lower right of him he was playing a Korg PA-80..... He didn't have it in full view either. It was well hidden by the piano... I wonder why he did that when it would have been much easier to have it on a stand at playing height.. I wonder if he didn't want to be seen using an arranger...... It sounded like he used it for a short string section in one of his songs... I just don't understand why he had it hidden? The Korg PA-80 is not seen as a toy in the keyboard world. Everyone knows it a professional arranger.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#145813 - 01/15/02 08:46 PM Re: Korg PA-80 Spotted on Television Today!
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
Squeak

The only real mistake they made on that show was not hiding John Tesch and turning off the sound track - Even the PA80 is a better deal at any price than a free John Tesch CD.

MH

#145814 - 01/16/02 04:51 AM Re: Korg PA-80 Spotted on Television Today!
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Squeaky,

I'm afraid I am not familiar with the artist you mentioned but all the more so with the PA-80 and it is my opinion that the strings in this Korg keyboard are among the very best to come out of any arranger keyboard.
Actually I am getting more and more positive about the PA-80 by the day. Recently I have acquired some great new styles, a.o. through Fabio's site (see other entry) and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of affordable flashcards enabling the PA users to import external samples.
I just finished writing a part-review for a Dutch keyboard magazine on the pros and cons of the PA-80 and in particular on the new operating system 3.0.
Being highly critical at first I have had to reconsider as well. I still think the PA is a great keyboard that is basically underrated by most keyboard players because it is somewhat less user-friendly than other keyboards, which is true. However having said that I have just replaced some of the (fixed) interior styles by external styles, just mention me one keyboard with which you can do so. Apart from 48 user styles and 48 styles on disk with direct access, you could also clear out the total contents of the 256 styles and have them replaced with your own.
Furthermore ,for those of you reading this and getting interested (again), soundwise it holds its place very well , with ,to me, as absolute favourites, the sax sounds !!!

john.

#145815 - 01/16/02 06:54 AM Re: Korg PA-80 Spotted on Television Today!
Guardman2001 Offline

Loc: USA
John, John Tesh, is probably best known for being married to Connie Selleca. He used to be the side kick for Mary Hart on ET. He plays music in the style of Yanni, only on a smaller scale, much smaller.

#145816 - 01/16/02 08:35 AM Re: Korg PA-80 Spotted on Television Today!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by john smies:
I have just replaced some of the (fixed) interior styles by external styles, just mention me one keyboard with which you can do so.
john.

OK - The Farfisa G7 could do that. We were a dealer for the line a few years ago, and probably sold more G7's than anyone else.
BTW - I think John Tesh is a terrific musician. He's a Julliard grad, and he surrounds himself with huge orchestras that make a lush wall of sound. I also had the pleasure of seeing Yanni "live" in the same week as I saw the Philadelphia Orchestra a few years ago, and although the styles are completely different - they were both AWESOME. I'd kill just to have his speaking voice....and that violinist that travels with him - what a monster.
Give a serious listen, and you'll find alot to admire. It's best appreciated in concert, rather than in the background while you're doing other stuff. I became a fan AFTER the show.

#145817 - 01/16/02 09:13 AM Re: Korg PA-80 Spotted on Television Today!
Big Red Offline

Loc: Canada
I stand to be corrected but I believe that on the Korg i30 you can overwrite banks C and D with your own styles, then transfer them to overwrite banks A and B thereby freeing up C and D banks again to load up again with even more fresh styles. So you end up with your own styles in all four banks, A, B, C and D.

Yes, John Tesh is a more than competent musician but, due in part I suppose to his previous TV persona, he comes across as just a bit too smooth and "plastic" for many people.

By the way, the girl who supplies the backing for the zany antics of Drew Carey, etc. on "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" appears to have a Korg i30 sat atop her piano, if I'm not mistaken.

#145818 - 01/16/02 03:00 PM Re: Korg PA-80 Spotted on Television Today!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Big Red,
Yes you are correct about the Korg i-30 being used on the "who's line is it anyway" program. It sits on top of her grand piano... I also noticed they use a Roland XP-50....

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online