SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#145685 - 01/05/05 01:16 PM Lite weight speakers for home use or gigs!
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
Since alot of the members here use PC speakers on gigs or home use, I think you really should look into the Klipsch THX speakers and make a comparison to the popular Logitechs. I happen to own the 4.1 which are 4 satelites and dual 8" woofers. The 2.1 should be excellent for practice and small crowds, they have actual horns!

Here's some info.

The ProMedia 2.1 THX®-Certified, three-piece computer audio system transforms your desktop into a high-performance audio entertainment center. Its exclusive Klipsch MicroTractrix® Horn maximizes digital technologies such as CDs, MP3 downloads, streaming radio programs and other popular personal audio applications, and delivers a level of power and accuracy never before available. The high output digital hybrid amplifier driven ProMedia 2.1 incorporates a convenient headphone jack as well as a miniplug input that makes it compatible with gaming consoles and most portable audio devices. This powerful system is available in 120 and 230 volt versions.

Reviews
"The included Klipsch amplifier and speaker set (subwoofer included) delivers superb sound for music and video. This system stands head and shoulders above even the best speakers."
—by James Coates, San Antonio Express-News,

"The top-of-the-line for three-piece systems is the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. They sell for around $200 [$179] and are worth every penny, if you desire a high-quality sound that can put most home stereo systems to shame."
—-Portsmouth Herald

"Anyone looking for a amplified speaker system for any reason, whether for that new PlayStation 2, MP3 players, computers, or for any other electronic device, would be hard pressed to find a comparable system at even twice the price."
—Yanman.com

"Overall, the ProMedia 2.1 system rocked our world as much as the V.2-400 system did a year ago…the outlandish output of this compact system must be heard to be believed."
—MaximumPC

"But what did it sound like? In a word, incredible."
—formen.ign.com

"The new de facto 2.1 standard by which other competing products will be judged."
—Gamers Depot

"Compared to the other multimedia speakers on the market, Klipsch remains at the head of the pack."
—Firing Squad

"Like it’s Big Brother, these speakers will peel the paint off the walls."
—PC Gamer

"…if you close your eyes, you could almost swear you were listening to high-end stereo speakers for your living room."
—Dave Salvatore, Computer Gaming World

[This message has been edited by SYNTH_GUY (edited 01-05-2005).]

#145686 - 01/05/05 01:27 PM Re: Lite weight speakers for home use or gigs!
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
They look nice too!

http:/www.klipsch.com/media/Photos/promedia21_300.jpg

#145687 - 01/05/05 03:45 PM Re: Lite weight speakers for home use or gigs!
KN_Fan Offline

I think Terry (TrTjazz) or somebody else on this forum used Altec Lansing before. Comment was it's a pretty powerful, but light weight speaker.

#145688 - 01/05/05 04:22 PM Re: Lite weight speakers for home use or gigs!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I haven't tried them, so they must be crap.
. . .

I'M JOKING!!!
DonM

#145689 - 01/05/05 04:26 PM Re: Lite weight speakers for home use or gigs!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I haven't tried them, so they must be crap.

And to think we always thought you to be the "Southern Gentleman" - Scott

#145690 - 01/05/05 05:20 PM Re: Lite weight speakers for home use or gigs!
ScubaDon Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, U.S.A.
I use Altec Lansing 621's. Not for gigging just at home. But for there they're powerful enough (at 200W max!). I have the 2 satellite+sub woofer set. They also come w/ 4 satellites. Great rich sound and nice deep bass.

Don

#145691 - 01/05/05 05:51 PM Re: Lite weight speakers for home use or gigs!
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by SYNTH_GUY:
Since alot of the members here use PC speakers on gigs or home use, I think you really should look into the Klipsch THX speakers and make a comparison to the popular Logitechs. I happen to own the 4.1 which are 4 satelites and dual 8" woofers. The 2.1 should be excellent for practice and small crowds, they have actual horns!

I own the Klipsch PRO Media 2.1 speakers/w Subwoofer. They are great speakers for a PC because of their ability to reproduce pristine sound from music or audio from a video source. But to use them with a Keyboard is a little tricky because the inputs and outputs are 1/8" line level. You would need Adapters and or Cable that adapts to both sources. I used a Monster Cable that I have that has RCA connectors on one end and an 1/8" TRS connector on the other end. Using my PSR 2000's "fixed level" outputs that have RCA connectors, I connected the 1/8" end of the cable into the Klipsch PRO Media's Line Level input, i.e. for connecting CD Players, etc..

I was astonished at the sound quality I heard coming from the Klipsch 2.1's. There was no distortion even when the sound levels were high. In fact, I didn't even have the volume knob on the PRO Media's at the half way point - (since the PSR 2000's fixed level outputs are regulated not from the Master Volume knob on the Keyboard but from the external source it is connected to), yet the SPL levels were way up there, i.e. (loud, loud) and not a hint of distortion.

So if you have the right Adapters and or Cabling there should be no problems filling a small size venue with adequate sound when using the Klipsch PRO Media 2.1's. That is if you can still find them for sale anywhere! Klipsch quit making the PRO Media 2.1's. They replaced them with something else that don't have near the wattage as the PRO Media 2.1's do.

And yes, the Horns do make a difference! A Tweeter can make all the difference in the World when it comes to reproducing sound. When a speaker just has Drivers, i.e. no Tweeters, or no Sub for that matter; it can leave a lot to be desired for creating well rounded sound for Live stage purposes. In the case of the PRO Media 2.1's - a Coffee shop, small Restaurant or large Living Room for stage purposes. If you need sound for a Gig or something other than a very small venue you would be wise to get PROfessionally made speakers that are intended for PRO audio sound, e.g. Mackie SRM 350/450's, EV's, Motion Sound, etc.

Another alternative is the Yamaha MSP5's or MSP10's. For a small venue the MSP5's would provide much more SPL levels (decibels) and are light weight also. Plus they have 1/4" inch connectors so you wouldn't necessarily have to fool with adapters when hooking up to a Keyboard. They also have a 1" [inch] pure Titanium Tweeter. And also High and Low frequency adjustments on the back of the speaker. I have the MSP5's also so I am speaking from a comparative standpoint. But the MSP5's are much more expensive of course. So if you're short on $$$ and need speakers for just relatively small venues, the Klipsch PRO Media 2.1's may be just the ticket. But don't think you can fill a large auditorium with adequate sound using the 2.1's. You could end up blowing them if you try, i.e. - KISS... Keep It 'Small'... you know the rest.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 01-05-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online