SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#14576 - 02/01/03 12:47 PM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
Dazza Offline

Loc: Great Britain
Well the Genyisis is looking better after Paul Dīs response from Chris. (a very good freind of mine). However everything i have read here makes it out to be the latest in technology. Has Paul ever seen the Ketron SD1 - it has the same rewritable internals. ummmmmmmmgh i wonder how much new technology is here or re packaged.

However i do like the product it sounds good, the syles are good. the gadgets for me are niether here nor there. But my overall impression on playing it for a day was i would only be getting 25% more than my WK 8 has. That 25% was worth having but then it comes down to price aaaaaaaaaaggggggggggh another storie.

thank you Paul anyway - how long have you been with Gem and what is your role.

darren

#14577 - 02/01/03 04:56 PM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
Darren,

I am the DSM for the West Coast of the USA. I have only been with GEM for a little over a year. I am familiar with Ketron SD1, and it nice instrument. I feel most manufactures make good instruments. What sets the genesys apart from other instruments is how it put the technology together to make it a very useable instrument. Just putting a bunch of technology in a box and adding keys, doesn't make a musical instrument. I personally like the GEM products and the direction they are going over any of the other brands. Does that mean GEM products are the only thing out there, and no one else competes with them, of course not, just my opinion. My opinion and $1.35 will get me a cup of coffee.

#14578 - 02/01/03 05:03 PM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
PaulD Offline

Darren,
Want to check out technology, check out the Promega 3!

Nothing impressive to look at, but once you play it..... It's truly a piano.

#14579 - 02/03/03 05:50 AM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulD:
For management purposes, we designated a certain area as "RAM" which simply describes the area of this memory which can be re-written by the user.

Good morning everybody,

Hope everybody had a nice weekend!

Thanks to Paul and Chris for the valuable input. As for the quote above, does anybody know how much 'User RAM' as been allocated?

Quote:
...plus a new GM remap feature which instantly selects the best alternatives to the standard GM voices, (including real sounds, fazioli piano etc.) when playing any midifile.

Wow, this sounds like a great feature! I most definitely will be checking this out and reporting back. I just did a quick scan of the two manuals from GEM's site (search for GM remap) and found nothing. Does anybody know how to invoke this feature?

Quote:
I hope this helps in understanding the genesys.

It does and again I thank the both of you.

mike

#14580 - 02/05/03 09:52 AM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
PaulD Offline

It works via the "GeneralMidi" function on the MIDI/General Set page. Set this to "GM" and you'll notice that the remap happens automatically when midi files are played either directly (for a disk) or indirectly (from a computer via a midi cable). If you turn this feature off, the instrument will revert to selecting the older (WK/SK) soundset.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online