SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#14546 - 01/10/03 09:06 AM What are your thoughts about Genesys?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Have you heard it?

Are you planning to get one?

#14547 - 01/10/03 10:35 AM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey sk880,

We finally got one here in Minneapolis. It can be seen and heard at Bodine's Music. Jeff Bodine can be reached at (800) 535-6424 for anybody in the area that wants to schedule a demo.

I've played with it for about 2 hours one sad Sunday afternoon (Vikings lost again).

I like the new look, I most definitely like the feel of the keys vs. my WK8. They simply feel better when pressing on them. The key itself has more weight due to design and a little more pressure behind them. Not too much, just right in my opinion. The sound vs. my WK8 was a no contest. Genny sounds awesome...Loud, clean, clear, I could keep goin' here but won't...You owe yourself a listen to hear what I mean.

There were things I didn't care for but won't go into that now. To be fair, I need another go-around with Genny. This time, I will be bringing my laptop and recording some stuff off of it, styles, sounds, midi's that came with the board and midi's that I bring and I'll post them on my test web site here at work.

mike

#14548 - 01/11/03 06:16 AM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
Dazza Offline

Loc: Great Britain
Have you tryed looking at the Solton web page. The new genysis is going out badged up as a solton keyboard as Gem are now supplying them in Italy. te web site is more informative than the Generalmusic site.

#14549 - 01/11/03 08:26 AM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
sk880user Offline

Msutliff,

Please keep us updated when you get the chance to do visit Genesys.

I went to Solton page and the demo there is better than General Music.

#14550 - 01/14/03 08:32 AM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Quote: What are your thoughts about Genesys?

Not a bad band, but they weren't the same after Phil Colins left.......

....huh!!!

#14551 - 01/14/03 01:34 PM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
sk880user Offline

context, my friend, context!!!

#14552 - 01/15/03 03:42 AM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
JoostMerema Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Genesys is my favorite part of the bible... :|

But, to be honest... The genesys sounds very nice, but the graphic interface is soo ugly! It's like I am sitting behind a Wk4 for crying out loud. And The WK4 was released in 1996... You get the picture.

When I compare the Genesys to the new Yamaha keyboards with colour display, I say the Genesys on it self is good, but the other manufactureres are better. They offer more for the same price. Or am I wrong?

Well, one thing is good. I can get rid of my WK4, and get me a second hand WK8SE within a year

The sounds of the Genesys didn't impress me too much, and still the Genesys has the 'hanging' tone bug. When you try the instrument and change a lot from sound <> perf <>styles there will be a sound looping, and you only get it out by resetting. Too bad, my Equinox has it, my WK had it I assume it is a GEM thing.

greetings,
Joost

#14553 - 01/15/03 07:14 AM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by JoostMerema:
...the Genesys has the 'hanging' tone bug. When you try the instrument and change a lot from sound <> perf <>styles there will be a sound looping, and you only get it out by resetting. Too bad, my Equinox has it, my WK had it I assume it is a GEM thing.

Hey Joost,

I think I know what you are talking about here...You keep jumping around, doing this and that, and all of a sudden a note (or notes) keeps playing and nothing you do stops it until you turn the keyboard off then back on....Right?

If that is what you mean, my WK8 does that too.

Here's a little more 1st impressions....I've been with GEM for sometime now (Bachmann, WX2, WK4, WK8) so I feel pretty comfortable with navigating around all the buttons. I figured for the most part, I would have the Genesys figured out in no time. Bring up single instruments...easy. Style play...easy. Then, I wanted to see how the playing a midi file directly off a floppy worked. Both the salesman and I sat there pressing buttons after buttons and couldn't make it happen. None of the choices made any sense...So I grabbed the manual. Finally figured it out...You have to do this, then this, THEN this. Oh, I get it now. So I wrote it off as a 'first time user inexperienced' kind of thing. Then, I tried to change an instrument on one of the tracks before the midi started to play....Can't do it. The midi has to be loaded into RAM if you plan on making any changes. Bummer cause thats what takes all the time, loading the songs into RAM, whether from a floppy, CD-ROM, or hard drive. I wonder if other keyboards are the same in that respect. Then, I loaded a block of songs that came on the CD that comes with the keyboard. Searched through the songs and picked Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple...Let's hear if they made any changes to the electric guitars. My first impression was, "What the hell is this?" I didn't like what I was hearing. They've added more heavy, distorted, overdrive guitar registers and were using a different one for this song (different when compared to my WK8 which also comes with this particular block of songs). I think my WK8 does a pretty nice job with this song...Here are some samples if anybody is interested:

http://genny.lib.umn.edu/wk8/guitars.htm

Anyway, I didn't care for it but you might, in fact, you might love it and think it's the best guitar sound you've heard a keyboard make...It just didn't work for me. And with all this going down, there is that $4000+ price tag staring me right in the eyes.

I played some other songs, they sounded great, sounds like the drum kits have been upgraded. And with that fantastic Genny sound system on board, it was pretty impressive. So I left with mixed reviews...I liked the looks, I liked the feel, I liked the sounds, I have to re-learn the navigation, loading midi files technically won't be any easier, etc. To me, the Genesys is a very, very refined WK8 and that's good. I'm just not sure if that is what I need or want.

Bottom line is I need to give the Genesys another chance. Play with the styles and new sounds more, learn the buttons better, make some real music.

mike

[This message has been edited by msutliff (edited 01-15-2003).]

#14554 - 01/15/03 08:28 AM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
sk880.... just kidding !!

#14555 - 01/16/03 03:21 AM Re: What are your thoughts about Genesys?
JoostMerema Offline

Loc: Netherlands
msutliff, yes; that hanging tone is what I am talking about. I think it is absurd that it still exists in a 4000$ brand new workstation; my WX2 (I'm on GEM also some time, started with an old WS1d...) had it, WK had it, Equinox has it. How hard can it be?

greetz Joost

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online