SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#144872 - 02/23/02 11:34 AM DRAW BAR Settings?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
DRAW BAR settings. I would like to learn more about different Drawbars setting and setups for my 9000 Pro . Can anyone give me some input or suggest a suitable web site that gives this information?

Graham UK

#144873 - 02/23/02 11:41 AM Re: DRAW BAR Settings?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Here's an interresting link to some Hammond styles of play from Keyboard mag. It's definatly an "attitude" instrument, and you need to get the right brain set before you start pulling on drawbars. Check out: http://www.keyboardmag.com/midi/hammond.shtml

#144874 - 02/23/02 12:43 PM Re: DRAW BAR Settings?
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Graham
How are you getting on with the new 9000?

You can find a few drawbar settings as used by different artists at:
[URL=http://www.is-1.net.au/~maestro/hammond.html.]

P.S. I'll bet you weren't out cycling today

[This message has been edited by John North (edited 02-23-2002).]

#144875 - 02/23/02 07:41 PM Re: DRAW BAR Settings?
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Graham,
Having played Hammonds for long time
L+M 100, B3 they where ment to simulate the footages of a Pipe Organ. Although notting will sound like a real Pipe Organ you can get very close by adjusting the Drawbars for the acoustics in the room you are playing. One of the great things of electronic drawbars is that you don`t have to oil them!!!!! Best of luck, have fun!!
jedi

#144876 - 02/23/02 11:42 PM Re: DRAW BAR Settings?
Graham UK Offline

Thanks everyone for your input about DRAWBARS....and YES John we were out cycling 25 miles today. we go early every Sunday morning regardless of the weather. Not bad for an oldie.

Graham UK

#144877 - 02/23/02 11:50 PM Re: DRAW BAR Settings?
Big Red Offline

Loc: Canada
As an old Hammond grinder of yore, yer basic jazzy sounds a la Jimmy Smith, McGriff, McDuff, etc. consist of having the first three drawbars full out and a decent dose of third harmonic percussion applied. Another one is to have the drawbars starting out witht he first one at full (8) and progressively decreasing them down to (1) at the centre of the row and then increasing them progressively back out to (8) at the last drawbar - gives you that nice 'whistly' top end - great with the big fat chords. Like many other things in music, there are no hard and fast rules, just pull 'em around.

Most of the jazzers used very little vibrato, but were tasteful (for the most part) in the use of the leslie rotors. Also, be wary of too much reverb, you'll sound tighter and fatter with just a minimum applied. Listen to some of the guys I just mentioned, you'll soon get the idea.

Happy jazzin'
BR

#144878 - 02/24/02 03:50 AM Re: DRAW BAR Settings?
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Congrats Graham
Give me a shout next time you are heading my way, I'll join you. I'm easy to spot - My wife tells me I look like a giant Bumble Bee when I'm out cycling.

Signed..... (yet another oldie)

#144879 - 02/24/02 07:35 AM Re: DRAW BAR Settings?
Graham UK Offline

Big Red, Thank you for the your suggestions I will try these. With 9000Pro having digital screen drawbars I can't just play around on the fly with the same speed as the real thing, its better for me to save a setting into a user bank.
This is he reason I would like to find out more about the subject. I still have not found a web site that provides a list of suggestion from the Jazz-players apart from your quotes.

Graham UK

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online