SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#144467 - 01/04/02 11:17 AM Why is B4 Organ 'lonely at the top' ?
Roel Offline

Today Native Instruments B4 Organ arrived and I just wonder : Why is NONE of the keyboard / organ brands capable to produce tonewheel-sound like Hammond and NI B4 both do ? (most keyboard 'drawbars' produce toy-sounds)
B4 Organ beats them ALL (as Fran stated)

B4 is a small (200 dollar) software package, runs on MAC or an average PC, even using an inexpensive soundcard !!

btw. funny how NI protects the CD... 2 holes in the surface !! ...... hmm interesting and it makes me curious.

Roel

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 01-04-2002).]

#144468 - 01/04/02 01:12 PM Re: Why is B4 Organ 'lonely at the top' ?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Roel,

Congratulations on your new organ! At least you should have enough 'space' for it in your house
http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?b4_us

Are you running 'Native Instruments B4' as a standalone program or going thru a digital audio sequencer (Cubase, Cakewalk Sonar, or other)?

There is some debate over which driver(lowest latency) to use: WDM, ASIO, MME etc.

I've been reading that the new Windows WDM (microsoft) drivers are as good (if not better & faster) than the current ASIO standard now. Roel, Which driver are you using? How is the latency?

I'm thinking of running 'B4 organ' via Cakewalk Sonar because Native Instruments just recently started supporting DXi which makes it possible to run it seamlessly thru Cakewalk Sonar, using the latest (and greatest?) WDM drivers.

Btw, I'm curious, has anyone here tried out the other software synth offerings from Native Instruments:

FM7
Pro-52
Reaktor
Dynamo
Absynth

I plan to purchase 'Native Instsruments B4' myself so will be definitely stoping by Native Instrument's booth again at NAMM this year.

- Scott

#144469 - 01/04/02 01:21 PM Re: Why is B4 Organ 'lonely at the top' ?
Roel Offline

Scott,
I use the ASIO driver with my 'old' Terratec EWS64XL. The latency is BIG (90 ms) but in the control-panel I reduced the buffer size.
The delay is 'acceptable' now but as you know I ordered the newest DMX6fire with only 2 ms..... so tuesday the latency will be almost zero.

Roel

#144470 - 01/04/02 03:39 PM Re: Why is B4 Organ 'lonely at the top' ?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Do not use mme, I use any direct driver, my desktop at 10ms, my laptop at 20ms...No latency problems...

#144471 - 01/05/02 05:03 PM Re: Why is B4 Organ 'lonely at the top' ?
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
HI

A german company sampled some Hammond sounds for the 9000 series for those interested, Like the B3 and others.
http://www.cd-soft.de/Sample%20Sounds/Sample_Pack_01/sample_pack_01.html

Eric

#144472 - 01/07/02 06:03 PM Re: Why is B4 Organ 'lonely at the top' ?
mbl Offline

Loc: el paso tx
Why is NONE of the keyboard / organ brands capable to produce tonewheel-sound like Hammond and NI B4 both do ?
--------------------------------------------

Because the B4 is a computer program running all the time using A LOT of CPU power. The computing power of an arranger is not at par with that of a current windows or mac machine by no means.

Also because only Native Instruments has developed such a software. But it is interesting that about 1 year ago, Native Instrument's developement premises were broken-in and some work stolen.

However, there is definetely a lot of potential in this type of approach to musical instruments. It beats sampling, specially in the dynamics aspect of an instrument. With the B4 simulator one gets GOOD performance even at the highets keys. Why? Because there is a virtual wheel turning and producing sine-wave sounds as in the real instrument. There is no interpolation as in sampled instruments. Because of the high resource demand, latency was a problem, but not any more with the new PC-cpu's and advances. Those guys at Native Instruments are geniuses.

#144473 - 01/07/02 08:47 PM Re: Why is B4 Organ 'lonely at the top' ?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The Hammond and the B4 are "one trick ponies" - no onder they do it so well. BTW - the organs on the 9kpro are SO good, I sold my Hammonmd this week and bought a better guitar. The leslie sim, and the modeled organs on the 9kpro are just fabulous.

#144474 - 01/07/02 09:04 PM Re: Why is B4 Organ 'lonely at the top' ?
danb Offline

What is the minimum requirement as far as CPU is concern in order to use this B4 effectively? My laptop (an old Toshiba Tecra) is a P5-233 mmx with 6 gig HD and 128 RAM.

#144475 - 01/07/02 09:26 PM Re: Why is B4 Organ 'lonely at the top' ?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
233Mhz is fine - I guess it's at least a Pentium MMX, right? Mine ran fine on a 200Mhz P1MMX.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online