SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#143946 - 10/24/07 04:35 PM Re: recording -- how it use to be
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango: Russ just having fun with you...That is the most misspelled word by musicians..
i nominate "loose" when they mean "lose"(looz) and "loosing", which doesn't exist. and "to much" when they mean "too much" and "your right" when they mean "you're right" these are EVERYONE'S most common misuse/misspells

------------------
Miami Mo

#143947 - 10/24/07 04:49 PM Re: recording -- how it use to be
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Diki, what you're talking about is tape compression. It's a natural compression that occurs when you saturate the tape, especially with drums. Many people who are used to that find that digital leaves them a little dry. You are definitely describing the best of both worlds. My studio is completely digital, but Sheffield which is right up the street still has a couple of the 2 inch machines and they still get calls for them.

Ciao,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#143948 - 10/24/07 06:40 PM Re: recording -- how it use to be
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yes, Joe... No substitute for it on plug-ins, yet. They keep trying, but so far, no luck. The hard part has been getting hold of new tape stock that matches the characteristics of the old stuff. The whole Quantegy fiasco really woke some people up to how important tape is, even in the digital world.

But, on the other side of the fence, it's getting pretty amazing what you can do with a plug in like BFD, if you output all it's channels individually to the SSL, and process it just like a real drumkit feed... I can't remember if BFD's drum samples were tracked to tape, but if not, I can see it as the next logical step. Vive la tape!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online