SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#14301 - 03/19/03 11:30 PM SYSEX INFO REQUIRED - PLEASE HELP!
mavis scrout Offline

Hello

Using an Ensoniq SQ1 with Cubase SX 1.03/Windows XP Pro/KX Driver (kxproject.com)

I did a large Sysex Dump of the entire SQ1 sequencer memory to Cubase SX. It seems to have recorded, but on playback makes the SQ1 crash (UNEXPECTED EVENT ID=130). I presume this ID refers to corrupt sequencer data.

I can send/receive SYSEX with small bundles (single sequences etc) and can work with large SYSEX dumps in cubase 5.0

However, I recorded one large SYSEX dump into SX which contains vital work, and now I can't retrieve it. I have exported as a SMF and opened in Cubase 5.0 but it still won't work.

I can see and edit the Sysex data - it shows the string FO,0f,05,06 etc etc. so it has definately recorded - but there must be an error somewhere in the playback.

My question is -

How can I spot/edit any corruption in this string?
Is there any documentation relating to Ensoniq Sysex message "codes"?
How can I get this SYSEX message to work?

ANY help or advice appreciated.
You know how it is when you stand to lose your work!

Thanks

MAVIS

#14302 - 03/20/03 12:12 AM Re: SYSEX INFO REQUIRED - PLEASE HELP!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
It may just be that the SQ1 can't process the data at the speed it is being transmitted by the software. I remember this being the case with some Roland synths receiving large sysex dumps. Smaller dumps tend to work simply because they don't push the MIDI receive hardware on the synth for too hard and too long. But longer dumps often eventually fail resulting in some data being corrupted which would cause the error you are seeing.

I don't use Cubase so can't tell you what to do to slow the transmission speed down a little. But your sysex file may be fine.

#14303 - 03/20/03 02:52 AM Re: SYSEX INFO REQUIRED - PLEASE HELP!
mavis scrout Offline

thanks for the reply nigel - its difficult to get advice a lot of the time when using an old synth! However, I swear by the ESQ1 and have used it for over 10 years now. I think after a while old synths become like instruments - every one has its own unique sound, especially when you start pushing it to its limits.

Now your advice sounds reassuring - that my data may be fine.

I'll just keep the SYSEX file stored until I find a solution - no point wasting weeks of fruitless research. Apparently SX has "issues" with Sysex and this will be fixed (apparently) shortly.

My main concern is that the data is safe.

Now for some more questions...

What set-up are you using?
Is there any program to slow the transmission speed? I read that Cakewalk may be able to do it - but I haven't tested it yet. What kind of value should I be looking for for the transmission speed?
If the data was corrupted, could I tell? I mean do I tell what corruptd data looks like?

... so many questions. But your help is greatly appreciated!

#14304 - 04/01/03 11:25 PM Re: SYSEX INFO REQUIRED - PLEASE HELP!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Hmmm. I'll look into this for you. It's not a problem I've had for many years so I haven't an answer for you using todays software. But there would have been no problem with your computer keeping up with the keyboard when it was dumping out the data which is why I think everything was fine when you saved the file. If there had been a problem you would have been notified then by the computer software.

Let me look into how to best get around this. But keep that file as it is most probably fine ( probably even copy it just as a backup if it is the only copy of your data so you have more than one copy of it )

If the data is in a MIDI file and clocked to the tempo then simply slowing the MIDI file tempo may solve it. But I tend to think it is getting sent in one big blast which is what is causing the problem.

#14305 - 04/01/03 11:34 PM Re: SYSEX INFO REQUIRED - PLEASE HELP!
mavis scrout Offline

Thsnkyou -its very generous of you to spend time researching on my behalf.

I've got the Sysex file copied and have still failed to get it to work. Again, any help appreciated.

OK thanks

------------------

#14306 - 04/12/03 02:49 PM Re: SYSEX INFO REQUIRED - PLEASE HELP!
Evgeny Offline

Hi Mavis!
I use free KSEditor for send/receive .syx into my SQ1, work great, no problems!
I have a one question -
..whether can PC Sys Exclusive utilites read files written before on Ensoniq ASR/TS sys excl recorder? For example - I send sysex dump into ASR-10 and save to internal floppy, now I want to convert these ensoniq .syx files to PC for reading...I use EPSDisk but PC programs doesn't read this files..

Thank's!

please reply to provereno@pisem.net
Regards!
Eugene.

#14307 - 04/13/03 10:21 AM Re: SYSEX INFO REQUIRED - PLEASE HELP!
mavis scrout Offline

erm... you've lost me Evgeny - ask Nigel. He knows everything!

------------------

#14308 - 04/13/03 11:41 PM Re: SYSEX INFO REQUIRED - PLEASE HELP!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Evgeny says that KSeditor can transmit sysex files to the SQ1 so that sounds like the answer to your problem. You can download it from Music Machines at http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufacturers/Ensoniq/software/

Just use it to send the sysex dump you have saved on your PC.

#14309 - 04/14/03 01:55 AM Re: SYSEX INFO REQUIRED - PLEASE HELP!
mavis scrout Offline

ahh - I see.

Thankyou Evgeny - and thanks for translating Nigel!

I'll give it a go today.

Ta

------------------

#14310 - 04/14/03 02:38 AM Re: SYSEX INFO REQUIRED - PLEASE HELP!
Evgeny Offline

Dear Nigel, I use KSEditor always...But my problem - I have ASR-10 format diskette with SQ sysex dump (I used ASR as sysex recorder), but after converting it from EPSdisk utility thisv.syx files is not read by PC programs (include KSEditor)!
You know this problems?
Thank's!

#14311 - 04/14/03 08:06 PM Re: SYSEX INFO REQUIRED - PLEASE HELP!
Nigel Offline
Admin

I wish I had an answer for you on this. Obviously the ASR stores its sysex in a proprietary format rather than binary. But I have not seen any software that converts these files into standard sysex. I will keep looking around but it doesn't look good.

Otherwise your only option will be to find an ASR owner that will let you use it to transmit the sysex files to a computer. I wish I had better news but when I searched online I didn't see any software utilities that will do the conversion for you.

#14312 - 04/15/03 10:16 AM Re: SYSEX INFO REQUIRED - PLEASE HELP!
Evgeny Offline

Yes, I already have found ASR owner. We shall try to do it! Thank you!

#14313 - 04/15/03 10:24 AM Re: SYSEX INFO REQUIRED - PLEASE HELP!
Evgeny Offline

Also I know that it is a problem in additional 512 bytes which the program-converter(example EPSDisk) adds to binary file.. If to cut these first 512bytes and file will be as standard .syx.. but I do not know as it to make!:-) I'm not hacker:-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online