SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#142800 - 03/27/05 09:56 AM Places of musical interest around Manchester, UK?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Friends,

I will be travelling to Manchester, UK on April 4-8 on business (my day job).

Are there any places of musical interest that any of you could recommend? Any stores which carry Roland G-70 and/or GEM Genesys? I have not been able to find either in a store around here, in Phoenix, Arizona, so would be curious to see one or both.

Is anyone in the area and interested in getting together one evening?

If you would like to email me, rather than posting a reply below, please copy your email to ak3308@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Alex

#142801 - 03/29/05 03:57 AM Re: Places of musical interest around Manchester, UK?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Could be tricky. You might see the G70 but I'd be very surprised to find a Genesys.

Nosying around on the UK "Yellow Pages" web site http://www.yell.com/ucs/HomePageAction.do looking for "Musical Instrument & Music Shops" in Manchester gives 24 "hits"; however some of these are more Music Shops rather than instrument stores. This website gives addresses and postcodes, and also links to websites, maps and directions, which may also be useful.

The maps are actually obtained from a site called MultiMap http://uk.multimap.com/map/home.cgi?overviewmap=ap&client=

I tend to go there directly and use the Postcode Search facility; you can do more things with the maps.

Anyhow, "Sound Control" and "Academy of Sound" are now part of the same group, and seem to be "box shifters". "Sound Control" always used to be "if it's not Roland we haven't got it" so might be you best chance to see a G70. 'Academy of Sound's address doesn't say so but it is on "Oxford Road" just after the railway bridge next to "Oxford Road" railway station, so this might be the easiest to find.

Forsythes has always struck me as a piano/ orchestral biased store, but that was a year or two back. You might find a Genesys in there, because they aren't totally dedicated to high throughput items. Worth a gamble if you can get there.

"Dawsons" seem to be biased to Yamaha but do stock Roland products, might be worth a go.

#142802 - 03/29/05 04:01 PM Re: Places of musical interest around Manchester, UK?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
MacAllcock,

Thank you for your reply. It will be useful information to have, should I have any free time in the evenings.

Best regards,
Alex

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online