SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#142722 - 10/18/05 11:43 AM Where's the Beef??
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
There is still a mystery concerning the Tyros2's WAV ROM amount. There have been reports that it is 300Mb but Yamaha is still mum about the exact and or 'true' amount. As I've said before I think maybe one reason is Yamaha doesn't want to reveal the amount because if it is just a few Megabytes more than the current Tyros it would be easy to see why people may not want to upgrade to the new Tyros2. So if people are unaware (unsuspecting) of the amount they will happily lay down their cash anyway. Just look at Scott Yee as an example.

Just kidding Scott but I think I can safely say you are without a doubt Yamaha's most prized secret weapon marketing representative. And the funny thing is you aren't getting a dime for all your trouble. Although to you I don't think it is considered trouble at all. You enjoy it thoroughly I'm sure. Which is fine and dandy but I vote you get paid for your endeavour.

All kidding aside I think another reason the amount remains a mystery is because if it IS 300Mb then there may be a marketing conflict with their Workstation Motif ES series keyboards. The Motif ES has 175Mb and is their Flagship Workstation. The Tyros2 with 300Mb would possibly put a wrinkle in Motif ES sales so better it not be known if that is the case, right? Something to think about anyway.

So what do you think? Why may you feel Yamaha hasn't disclosed the amount of WAV ROM of the Tyros2 to not only potential buyers but to the public in general? What have they got to hide? What do you think?

Best regards,
Mike

#142723 - 10/18/05 12:19 PM Re: Where's the Beef??
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
It's not the size...it's what you do with it.
You can make specs say anything you want ever read Rolands mumbo jumbo equal to..... linear format .....whatever

#142724 - 10/18/05 12:32 PM Re: Where's the Beef??
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Keybplayer, my respects to you, but...
If I were you, I wouldn't worry about why Yam didn't reveal the amount of WAVE ROM.

I can't see how the size of ROM found on one keyboard could affect the sales of another. The keyboards you listed are of different kind - Tyros is an arranger, Motif is a workstation, BOTH made by Yamaha. What's more, you can add your voices into both keyboars.
IMO this is definitely a marketing trick, but probably the goal here is not to let you compare the ROM of Yamaha's keyboard to the rom on keyobards made by their competitors.
Anyway, size of rom is not important, what is important is how the keyb sounds.
Best regards,
George

#142725 - 10/18/05 01:11 PM Re: Where's the Beef??
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Mike,
You are to hung up on statistics. Stats on the wave ROM size (tyros 2), Stats on the Korg polyphony (PA1X). Quantity of keys on the Tyros 2 (76) .
Starkeeper

#142726 - 10/18/05 01:19 PM Re: Where's the Beef??
Jupitar5 Offline

Loc: United States
Come to think of it - how much wave ROM does the Korg PA1X have? - not seen that in the spec sheet either.....

#142727 - 10/18/05 02:20 PM Re: Where's the Beef??
BlkNotes Offline

1) Wave Rom = sound quality

2) You can't make specs say anything you want. If you understand specs, then you are able to properly interpret if a company is presenting the specs in a certain light in order to make thier product seem ( to the untrained/un-informed) to favour their keyboard.

Regards;
BN

#142728 - 10/18/05 04:09 PM Re: Where's the Beef??
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Original, authentic Hammond B3. WaveRom=0. Sounds pretty good to me.

chas

#142729 - 10/18/05 08:21 PM Re: Where's the Beef??
BlkNotes Offline

Cgiles;

I don't understand your statement. You are comparing apples and oranges. We are talking about comparing keyboards with the same sound generation technology. The B3 sounds that are in KBs now use MV samples to generate their sounds.

Regards;
BN

#142730 - 10/18/05 09:29 PM Re: Where's the Beef??
Dnj Offline

New Roland G70.......192 Mb Wav Rom

#142731 - 10/19/05 04:19 AM Re: Where's the Beef??
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by BlkNotes:

1) Wave Rom = sound quality

2) You can't make specs say anything you

Wave Rom doesn't necessarily equal sound quality. It depends on what was sampled in the first place, how much of the wave rom is used for the different samples. Number of sample layers etc. a lot of stuff comes into the equation. For instance a 2 gigabyte piano sample might sound good, but lets say the 2 gb sample is sampled from the Yamaha P250s Grand Piano Sound. Then the 2gb sample will not sound any better than the original 32MB sample. So all of this depends on the source of the sample, the sampling technique, and how much and type of compression used.

Doc-Z

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online