SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#141870 - 03/01/00 10:40 AM Jammer Keyboard?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I thought this was an arranger keyboard forum. Is there now a brand or model of keyboard called jammer?

Tom

Tom

#141871 - 03/02/00 12:46 PM Re: Jammer Keyboard?
Clif Anderson Offline

I think the point implied by Tom is well taken. If interest in Jammer Live continues, maybe there should be a Software Arranger Forum (admitting the possibility that Jammer Live will face some competition). This way those who just purchased their X1s and 9000s will not have to be continually reminded they just wasted thousands of dollars ;-). (Sorry, I just could not resist the jab, I still would like one of these keyboards.)

#141872 - 03/02/00 01:01 PM Re: Jammer Keyboard?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I love taking my X1 to a gig. I don't want to haul a server class computer with associted monitor, mouse, qwerty keyboard and sound system to a job. If it come to that I'll buy Karaoke equipment and prostitute myself that way.

Tom

Tom

#141873 - 03/02/00 03:51 PM Re: Jammer Keyboard?
Clif Anderson Offline

There is nothing like the convenience of having everything in one instrument. On the other hand, any keyboard with built in sounds can be enhanced with a 4-pound laptop running Jammer Live. Well, two midi cables may be required.

Jammer Live does not require a server class computer. (Gigasampler almost requires this, but Jammer Live can be used to play the sounds in the keyboard instead.)

I bet there are gigging musicians that would not mind having an 88-key Yamaha S80 with a 4-pound laptop (and two midi cables)running Jammer Live. In fact, one could visit a friend or location with a keyboard available and just bring the laptop; how is that for portability?

Clif

#141874 - 03/02/00 04:22 PM Re: Jammer Keyboard?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Hello everyone,

I was trying to stay away from this discussion thread (beyond what I have already said before). However, this is just too interesting a topic to pass up.

I agree with Tom - the computer, however small, is not designed for a solo music gig. I have a laptop computer connected to my keyboard, and I am happy I don't have to carry it to the gigs, and I think for a good reason. First of all, the amount of time it takes to boot up is quite significant. Should I have to shut it down and reboot in the middle of a performance, it would take several very embarassing minutes of silence, which I can not afford. Secondly, the computer screen is hard to see in a continually changing stage lighting environment. A spec of dust in the trackball (mine still has a trackball) can easily destroy your ability to navigate the display. When playing live and having to adjust the performance on the fly this could be a big factor.

In finally, there is a perception that the audience will have that I get the computer to play for me - at least with the keyboard it looks like I am playing (however much assistance the built-in computer gives me).

The JammerLive may be fine for studio or home use - I am sure it adds tons of enjoyment to someone playing at leisure, but with the pressure of a gig, I'll go with a keyboard.

Besides, my home laptop and work laptop weigh both well over four pounds, even without counting the power supply, and their built-in audio is way below par, so now you start talking about lugging external audio modules (extra bulk and cost), etc...

And finally, even within the keyboards, there is a big difference in quality of the accompaniment styles between the middle of the line keyboards and the high end (like X1). I have not heard Jammer Live, but would guess that their accompaniment quality is compares with the middle of the road instruments, but not the high end.

Regards,
Alex

#141875 - 03/02/00 08:34 PM Re: Jammer Keyboard?
elle Offline

Alex,

You are right on most, if not all of your points. Nevertheless, software is where the fastest (r)evolution is at. We saw this happen already in soft synths, soft samplers and now soft arrangers. Obviously software needs 'general purpose' computers, and that's usualy where the problems start. :-)

It is clear that both hardware and software based arranger setups have their merits, flaws and specific uses and we should not fall into any macho comparisons.

As for me I have always been more interested in what systems would NOT let me do. That's why I have given up on hardware samplers and arrangers. I agree that, in the case of arrangers, this is - for the moment - taking a step backwards. But as the french say: "Reculer pour mieux sauter". Keep up the good spirit.

PS: It might indeed be a good idea to start thinking on 'rearrange' the discussions into hard- and software forums.

#141876 - 03/02/00 10:07 PM Re: Jammer Keyboard?
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Alex

I am not challenging your preference for hardware arrangers, but you might be giving the wrong impression on two issues. 1) You do not need to use computer audio or lug around an external module if your controller has sounds built in. 2) I do not think you need to be able to read the computer display to use Jammer Live. For example, you could set up your laptop to boot to Jammer Live. From that point everything can be controlled from your controller. On the hard hand your points about boot time, reliability and perceptions are well taken.

In my case, I am not making a choice between hardware and software. I have both and expect to continue enjoying both.

Clif

#141877 - 03/03/00 01:13 AM Re: Jammer Keyboard?
jouj Offline

Loc: na
Hi Jammer Live folks,
i'll think, that it is interesting to hear
about all of those new soft & hardware keyboard stuff here.

Not any matter if you do not like them,
probably there are many other musos who like.

There are lots of keyboardist who play for
they own joy only, or those home musicians
who are able to/interesting to use their
computers alongside their keyboard.

Please, allowe all flowers be in bloom.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online