SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#14136 - 08/08/99 06:25 PM ESQ-1 should I buy one ?
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
I have been looking at ESQ-1s for a long time and I was wondering if I should buy one . I use all analogue gear , I DO NOT USE MIDI but the synth looks like it can create some interesting sounds considering that fact that it has 3 digital oscillators . Is it a pain to program ? How well do the filters perform ?

#14137 - 08/09/99 10:16 AM Re: ESQ-1 should I buy one ?
aj Offline

Loc: new zealand
I Have one (in fact 'gurulounger' sold it too me to replace my cz5000 many moons ago.
For a digital s+s synth it can create some wickedly FATTT sounds ,I mean dont pay too much for it but there is a PC editor floating around and it make editing an easy trick it also has a librarian as well so you can save all your patches via midi .One word of warning!!!! My ESQ1 has been updated to ver 3.5 which basically means it has a slightly bigger sequencer memory ..but after a few years gigging it can be a bit unstable live so now it stays at home also because it sits on a stand midied up to my PC the contacts under the keys are filthy (probably) and some keys dont quite work ,allthough this is not too much of a problem since they all ply through midi .....and if I could be bothered I'm sure i Could make them go again ....But it has some awsome sounds in it and you can assign the cutoff to the mod wheel (it has a wheel not a joystck) yeah ....if the price it right (and it should be ....no one seems to know how cool they are ) BUY IT as long as its not too trashed ...cause the likely hood of getting any spare bits is a bit remote.
Also it must be one of the first multitimbral (8 Part) synths that i can think of ...which can come in handy for some exta voices
Can you tell I like mine and I'd never sell it ???
Peace dude

#14138 - 08/09/99 11:35 PM Re: ESQ-1 should I buy one ?
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
Thanks AJ , I think I will get one . I can't stand MIDI but I have always thought about getting one . I thought since it had 3 oscillators per voice - it had to be fat . I have a MEMORY MOOG but it's a piece of shit the oscillators are NEVER stable but thats normal , no wonder MOOG went out of business .

#14139 - 08/12/99 05:10 AM Re: ESQ-1 should I buy one ?
aj Offline

Loc: new zealand
You can get the editor from this site
(you've probably been there allready but here it is anyway)
Download the editor and have a look its really easy to use..... http://home.olemiss.edu/~aaron/esq-1.html

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online