SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#141321 - 11/05/02 01:56 PM Re: Yamaha Pitch Bender Wheel VS Roland Pitch Bender Joystick
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Ya gotta be quick changing chords. Think ahead!
DonM

#141322 - 11/05/02 02:07 PM Re: Yamaha Pitch Bender Wheel VS Roland Pitch Bender Joystick
DonM Offline

I loved the Joy stick on the PA80, particularly in working the leslie effect on the organ sougns. I also had a Roland G800. After one week the spring on the joystick broke. I would have had to be without it for a couple of weeks, so I took it apart, cut the spring at the broken place, threw away that end, and put it back in. It worked, but it was pretty stiff!
DonM

#141323 - 11/05/02 02:23 PM Re: Yamaha Pitch Bender Wheel VS Roland Pitch Bender Joystick
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Yeah it's pretty tough trying to use the wheels or the stick when playing an arranger.... That's why I sequence everything. I like to have my hands free to go nuts if I want to. I don't want to use my left hand for triggering chords when I want to solo.. I sequencer the composition, and then I have both my hands available to go crazy with solos.. This makes it easier for me...

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 11-05-2002).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#141324 - 11/05/02 04:13 PM Re: Yamaha Pitch Bender Wheel VS Roland Pitch Bender Joystick
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Ya gotta be quick changing chords. Think ahead!
DonM

Hey Don

But, quick isn't quick enough, especially if you need to trigger a pitch bend (with your left hand) right 'AT THE SAME TIME' as you're needing to play a new chord change (full chord, not with just one finger) with your left hand at the SAME time. It's not possible (in my book) to be at different places at the SAME time.

Don, if you're able to actually trigger pitch bend concurrently 'right on the chord changes', you must possess some kinda special magic up your sleeve. Care to share your secret?

Anyone else here able to do this? - Scott

#141325 - 11/05/02 04:46 PM Re: Yamaha Pitch Bender Wheel VS Roland Pitch Bender Joystick
Dnj Offline

Its so funny that we all play differently. I have never used the joystick to play with in all the years I'm performing......Until Now with the XD9. I use it to control the Leslie rotor speed when playing organ.

#141326 - 11/05/02 06:34 PM Re: Yamaha Pitch Bender Wheel VS Roland Pitch Bender Joystick
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Hey Don

Don, if you're able to actually trigger pitch bend concurrently 'right on the chord changes', you must possess some kinda special magic up your sleeve. Care to share your secret?

Anyone else here able to do this? - Scott

I have a hard enough time doing it even when there is no chord change on a solo.
Terry

#141327 - 11/05/02 08:11 PM Re: Yamaha Pitch Bender Wheel VS Roland Pitch Bender Joystick
DonM Offline

Well of course you can't do it at exactly the same time, but you can learn to fake it pretty well. I think that if you could master bending with the footswitch it would be better.
DonM

#141328 - 11/05/02 09:11 PM Re: Yamaha Pitch Bender Wheel VS Roland Pitch Bender Joystick
Anonymous
Unregistered

Donny, you might want to use the wheel on some of your sax voices. I've achieved some good results twisting and bending the Growl Sax oon my XD9... sounds great. (We're talking old time R&R of course :-)

Glenn

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I have never used the joystick to play with in all the years I'm performing......Until Now with the XD9. I use it to control the Leslie rotor speed when playing organ.

#141329 - 11/05/02 09:35 PM Re: Yamaha Pitch Bender Wheel VS Roland Pitch Bender Joystick
Dnj Offline

glenn,

I am experimenting with the wheel as we speak. I guess its all in the technic and the sound you want to emulate. I play a mean growl sax but do it all with my fingers :>)

thanx

#141330 - 11/05/02 09:47 PM Re: Yamaha Pitch Bender Wheel VS Roland Pitch Bender Joystick
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Terry,
Variphrase is not the D-Beam roland uses in the VA products and the older EM2000. the D-Beam is a controler, just like a mod wheel or pitchbend wheel. Anything you can do with those controllers you can do with the D-Beam. You just wave your hand over the D-Beam controller up and down or side to side and you can do things like pitchbend, vibrato, tempo up and down or even on and off of drum track, bass track, etc. The Variphrase is something completely different. It is being able to sample a voice or instrument and then play it on the keys of the keyboard, being able to play up and down the keyboard and not have the speed of the sample be altered like most samples do when you play say a full 5 fingered chord. In most samplers, the speed of the sample will get faster the higher the note, but on Variphrase, the speed stays the same while you play several pitches at once. Also, you can use the variphrase sample to play on the lower side of the split point while playing single or fingered chords as well, thus haveing the real voice play along with the style and it even syncs perfectly to the tempo without effecting the sample.
George Kaye
kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online