SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#141213 - 07/20/03 01:56 PM Band sues over use of E & F Chords
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
This is just too good not to pass on.....

Metallica Sue Canadian Band over E, F Chords
07.15.2003 1:55 PM EDT

"It's just a matter of a band having the right to protect the chords it uses. I couldn't start up my own soft drink company using the exact same formula as Coca-Cola." - Jill Pietrini, Metallica's lawyer

MONTREAL - Metallica are taking legal action against independent Canadian rock band Unfaith over what they feel is unsanctioned usage of two chords the band has been using since 1982 : E and F.
"People are going to get on our case again for this, but try to see it from our point of view just once," stated Metallica's Lars Ulrich. "We're not saying we own those two chords, individually - that would be ridiculous. We're just saying that in that specific order, people have grown to associate E, F with our music."
Metallica filed a trademark infringement suit against the indie group at the US district court for central California on Monday. According to the drummer, the continued use of the two chords causes "confusion, deception and mistake in the minds of the public".
Metallica's lawyer, Jill Pietrini, told us that the band decided to take legal action only after first sending a letter of complaint to the Canadian band's singer/songwriter, Erik Ashley.
"We sent a demand letter and haven't reached a resolution, so we had to sue," she said. "They continue to shamelessly feature the two chords on their website song samples and we just can't have that."
Ashley, in the meantime, is still shocked by the entire story, and hasn't yet decided how the band will respond.
"I thought it was a prank at first," he told us. "Now I'm not sure what to think."
Ulrich states that he's not trying to prevent Unfaith from using the two chords, only that he feels Metallica should be credited for them whenever used, and is calling for 50% of all revenue generated from any song using them.
"It's nothing personal against them," he added. "We intend to enforce our rights with any band intending to use Metallica-branded chords in the future."
This marks the first time anything of this kind has ever been tried in court, and it will be interesting to see how things develop.

Metallica's website has issued an official statement on the suit here.

Unfaith's official website hasn't officially responded at print time.

#141214 - 07/20/03 02:09 PM Re: Band sues over use of E & F Chords
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I think the answer is simple here. It's just time for Metalica to grow a little and learn two more chords so they then have a grand total of four chords they can play. Yes,, I realize the amount of patience and practice required by the Metalica bandmembers, but think of the direction of modern rock if they set a new standard of excellence in this difficult to master art form.. Golly,......imagin......just the thought of it!

Scott Langholff

#141215 - 07/20/03 02:19 PM Re: Band sues over use of E & F Chords
Scott Langholff Offline

I wonder if we all transposed to say B to C chords if we would still be in violation. My guess is no, because unless the two new chords they learn are B and C, then we won't be playing exactly the same. Maybe if they did learn B and C chords, we could all take out a class action suit against Metallica.
lol. ugh.

Scott

#141216 - 07/20/03 02:21 PM Re: Band sues over use of E & F Chords
Scott Langholff Offline

Excuse me, I'm just a frustrated punk rock wanna be. hahaha

#141217 - 07/20/03 02:24 PM Re: Band sues over use of E & F Chords
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
This is a riot!

"It's just a matter of a band having the right to protect the chords it uses. I couldn't start up my own soft drink company using the exact same formula as Coca-Cola." - Jill Pietrini, Metallica's lawyer

That's like Coca Cola suing Pepsi because they use carbonated water in their products.

I guess Metalica isn't selling enough records anymore.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#141218 - 07/20/03 02:35 PM Re: Band sues over use of E & F Chords
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Since Beavis and Butthead disapeared, so did their fan base, I guess! What a crock.

#141219 - 07/20/03 03:38 PM Re: Band sues over use of E & F Chords
DAB777 Offline

Loc: Park Hill,Ok. USA
That is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard LOLOLOLOL !!!!!!! I guess Bach's relatives could sue the whole music world. Those guys are a group of stupid whinners and I wish they would just act like men and not little sissy babys. David B.

#141220 - 07/20/03 03:52 PM Re: Band sues over use of E & F Chords
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Maybe Blinkers could contact their lawyer about joining their team. Let's admit it now, blinkers does have a way with words. Even if they are assinine. Ha! Ha!
Boo

#141221 - 07/20/03 04:35 PM Re: Band sues over use of E & F Chords
Big Red Offline

Loc: Canada
I'm just waiting for the individual copyright holders of the chords E and F to show up.

Ding Dong!!!!!

Oh, excuse me the men in the funny white coats are at the door.

#141222 - 07/20/03 07:49 PM Re: Band sues over use of E & F Chords
trtjazz Offline

And who was it that said smokin' rope doesn't effect your judgement? Now I know who that commercial was talking about, with the two fried eggs.....these are your brains on drugs. Man how ludicrious.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online