SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#140980 - 06/17/05 01:42 AM Re: Mediastation X-76 Audio-Midi Arranger...
Roel Offline

Spalding,
I assume you mean 'CopyRIGHT' ?

Domenik,
As far as I know EVERY piece (song/midifile/style) is copy-righted, so "...copyright there?" : YES !!

Officially people are allowed to do what they like with stuff they PURCHASED before.
The stuff becomes 'yours' after you payed for it. (The way you put is is wrong IMHO)

QUOTE :
[2) Fortunatly, exist LINUX, open source, GPL and you are allowed to OPEN/EDIT/REWORK/SAVE all what you want. Please, read again how is work the Linux GPL license...]

Comparing LINUX (open source) and music- styles or songs referring to copyright is absolutely incorrect!

QUOTE :
[3) Mediastation have the OWN format, OPEN and you can see in each style folder ALL the .MID and .Wav files, so..totally opened and system that everybody can see and edit ALL.]

The FORMAT in which data is stored, does not change anything to copyright!

QUOTE:
[4) you can take one original midi or styles file, EDIT/REWORK it, change all the Programm/variation/Volume/Note and tuning for the Mediastation. For this you are ALLOWED because then you get a different file]

Again : It does not change anything to copyright!

QUOTE:
[5) We DONT sell media: midi, styles, Mp3, we give back ALL for FREE under LINUX GPL license,where you can download it and make all what you want. So...with OUT profit you are totally free fo do what you want and you do NOT have any problem with the Law]

You are saying : "Use an open source operating system, change the storage format.... and ALL authors see copyrights vanish, completely legal !"

Please be realistic Domenik, what you say is very wrong, you should know better!

QUOTE:
[If i'm wrong, mean that all the others Linux user are in the wrong way and Illegally too.. like IBM, Yamaha, Korg....
all they use Linux Open Source too..]

YES you are wrong:
LINUX itself is open source and free, but the key issue here is MUSIC, not the OS.

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 06-17-2005).]

#140981 - 06/17/05 03:52 AM Re: Mediastation X-76 Audio-Midi Arranger...
Anonymous
Unregistered

d

[This message has been edited by domenik (edited 07-22-2005).]

#140982 - 06/17/05 04:30 AM Re: Mediastation X-76 Audio-Midi Arranger...
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Well...here in the Net, you can find and download Milions of MP3, Midifiles, styles, songs text, labels....copyright there?

Yes there is.
The original songs are the copyright of the author, and all midi files hosted for free on the net are hosted are illegal in one way or another.

If you didn’t write the original song, then you cannot post it on the net in any format unless you pay royalties or have permission for the original author of the song.

This not only applies to midi files, it also applies to Styles.

Quote:
The problem is different: for your personal OWN use, you can download it and make what you want, Nobody can say Nothing with your personal stuff.

Not true. The copyright remains.
All that chances is that nobody knows your breaking the law if you play they data back privately at home. However, since this is a musical instrument you intend on using the styles in, which will be played in public. Then your back to square one again. It’s all illegal.

Quote:
1) Midifiles/styles: You at home, you can download it, open it, EDIT it, Rework it and SAVE it HOW you like. Nobody can say: YOU CAN NOT! You have the freedom to do all what you want

No matter what you do to the files, they remain the copyright of the original author. That’s standard copyright law.

Quote:
4) you can take one original midi or styles file, EDIT/REWORK it, change all the Programm/variation/Volume/Note and tuning for the Mediastation. For this you are ALLOWED because then you get a different file.

I’ll give you an example of how wrong that is.

Lets say Madonna releases a new CD. If I convert that to Mp3 file, then according to you it’s now my data and I can sell it or give it away for free.

See my point ?. Converting data from one format to another is not a loophole in the system. You still don’t in anyway have any right to the material you converted. Uploading it would be totally illegal.

Quote:
If i'm wrong, mean that all the others Linux user are in the wrong way and Illegally too.. like IBM, Yamaha, Korg....
all they use Linux Open Source too..

I’m sorry but now that In fully understand what your talking about, you are indeed very wrong. Midi Files and Styles hosted on the Net for free or pay for download are not open source. TO convert the data to another format also does not make it you own in anyway. This not only applies to midi files, styles and other types of performances. It also applies to actual sounds. For example… it would be totally illegal for me to buy a Piano sound in AKAI format, modify it, then convert it to a different format with the intent of offering it as a free download, or a pay for download.

The original material would have never been mine to begin with, so therefore it would be totally illegal for me to do anything at all with it.

The only way I can see you being allowed to do what you are asking here is if you get someone to actually write 200 original styles for start to finish.

Kind Regards.
Sharp.

#140983 - 06/17/05 04:44 AM Re: Mediastation X-76 Audio-Midi Arranger...
Anonymous
Unregistered

d

#140984 - 06/17/05 04:59 AM Re: Mediastation X-76 Audio-Midi Arranger...
Roel Offline

Am I right when saying Lionstracs delivers an arranger without styles? Customers will have to convert them from other brand-machines?
In my view converted stuff never sounds as good as on the original machines.

Imported/converted styles are easy to recognize by well trained ears.
I expect Lionstracs to get HUGE copyright problems with Roland, Yamaha and others.

I do not understand the 'short distance' view of Domenik..... sorry for that.

#140985 - 06/17/05 05:54 AM Re: Mediastation X-76 Audio-Midi Arranger...
Anonymous
Unregistered

d

#140986 - 06/17/05 06:31 AM Re: Mediastation X-76 Audio-Midi Arranger...
Roel Offline

Why delete this thread Domenik?
It became clear to me (and others) what's your view and how you think.
Still I think you are not correct in some of them.
Another remarkable point is Lionstracs puts most effort in building the hardware/OS and only very few in styles. Styles and softsynth prices come on top of the unit prices.

btw. 'ordinary' brands like Ketron, Yamaha, Roland develop own styles.....they do not import/convert. EMC Styleworks is for 'home-use'. Professional brands do not sell converted styles as 'own' product.

#140987 - 06/17/05 06:41 AM Re: Mediastation X-76 Audio-Midi Arranger...
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
I know it's slightly different, but I've purchased several professional drum loops on CD's for use with samplers, etc. The license agreement states that they cannot be resold in any shape or form as loops on a new sample CD, but can be used freely within commercial compositions, as long as they are altered in some way and are combined with other sounds/instruments (i.e. are not used solely in a track and unchanged).

Doesn't really relate to styles I guess.... It does say that no matter what, the audio loops remain the property of the creator. However, if you change them in some way (i.e. with effects, reverse order, etc), put them into a song with other loops/sounds, you're free to sell that song commercially.

Weird.

#140988 - 06/17/05 02:02 PM Re: Mediastation X-76 Audio-Midi Arranger...
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Domenik.

The main reason why I’m questioning you on the copyrights is because I’m a professional sound designer/ Studio guy. I design and sell my own samples CD’s, and programs for Korg workstations. I have even worked for Korg Inc as a sound designer on the Triton Extreme where I designed programs, Combi’s and a Demo song for them.

Since day one I have been very interested in the Mediastation because I do believe you have a very unique product on your hands and as a sound designer I would love to be apart of this major / exciting advancement in technology. But… as a private contract worker I’m also bound by copyright laws, and if I break the copyrights when working for a Company, I’m the one that gets in trouble, not the company that hired me.

So as you can see.. I’m more than qualified to produce extremely high quality work. I’m also extremely interested in the Mediastation. But I’m not convinced that if I where to convert and modify styles that I would be copyright clean.

I already have all the tools needed to produce everything you need. I have a Studio fully of the best gear available. I even have the Universal edition of EMC and much more at my disposal.

However something still tells me that this is not 100% legit.

Quote:
EMC style converter is availbale to buy from about 10 years, styles Imported too...
then...Korg use the style converter too.

Yes your 100% right, BUT Emc is sold on the basis that you are going to convert your own styles. Not the copyrighted factory styles from one manufacture to another. I own the largest Korg support website on the Internet, and I can assure you that Korg would not legally allow you to convert anything they made to a different format even if I laided down lots of extra data over the tracks.

Kind Regards.
Sharp.

#140989 - 06/17/05 03:53 PM Re: Mediastation X-76 Audio-Midi Arranger...
Ketron User Offline

Hello Dear Musicians,

Instead of talking about mediastation, have a look on WERSI !

This are Keyboards-Organs with Quality !
www.wersi.de

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online