SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#140899 - 07/21/07 09:34 PM Advice needed on laptop interface
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
I am planning to buy an audio/midi interface for my Toshiba laptop. I have no idea what the market has to offer (all my past experiences have been with my PC through an Audiophile 2496 card). The only thing I know about laptop cards is that they have to fit in the PCMCIA slot, right?
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
A.

#140900 - 07/21/07 09:50 PM Re: Advice needed on laptop interface
Dnj Offline

#140901 - 07/21/07 09:50 PM Re: Advice needed on laptop interface
Dreamer Offline

I have done a little research and it seems that two good options are the Edirol UA-25

and the M-Audio Audiophile USB

...oh, and they do not connect to the PCMCIA slot...

#140902 - 07/21/07 09:51 PM Re: Advice needed on laptop interface
Dreamer Offline

Thanks, Donny, but I need an audio interface as well...

#140903 - 07/22/07 03:14 AM Re: Advice needed on laptop interface
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
hey dreamer!
i am just in your shues!

i also used to have a AP2496 into my desktop system.
now, when i use a AMD Turion64x2 laptop, i need another audiocard.
for my needs, usb is good enough. but you might need firewire type. just make sure about these....
my choice is http://www.zzounds.com/item--LEXLAMBDA

...now i just have to find someone to bring it in romania!

#140904 - 07/22/07 03:55 AM Re: Advice needed on laptop interface
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have had everything from Soundblasters to Echo pcmcia cards. This module sounds the best with midi playback and using a controller keyboard for individual solo voices. The drums are above average. It is USB and Midi, so a MidiSport type interface is needed for Midi playback from the laptop.

#140905 - 07/22/07 03:57 AM Re: Advice needed on laptop interface
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA

#140906 - 07/22/07 06:31 AM Re: Advice needed on laptop interface
to the genesys Offline

How do you hope to use the lap top and the audio interface? Is it for studio work or for live performances?

You could think about getting a controller keyboard and midi and audio interface like teh Novation xstation or Maudio. they are USB

#140907 - 07/22/07 09:14 AM Re: Advice needed on laptop interface
Dreamer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
How do you hope to use the lap top and the audio interface? Is it for studio work or for live performances?

You could think about getting a controller keyboard and midi and audio interface like teh Novation xstation or Maudio. they are USB

I intend to use the laptop at home; I really don't need another sound module (like suggested by Bernie 9) because I have plenty of sound sources to choose from. Right now I have:
- a Tyros 2
- a Roland G-70
- a Ketron Midjay
- a Roland Fantom XR with four SRX cards
- a Yamaha Motif ES rack
- a couple of samplers (Akai S2800 and Ensoniq ASR 10r) with plenty of sounds
- a Roland A-37 (76 notes master keyboard, which I intend to use together with the laptop)

So, in essence, all I need is an audio and midi interface, to enable my laptop to communicate with all of the above instruments and also with my digital recorder (Yamaha AW2616).
I think that the two models by Audiophile and Edirol could be a good choice, so I think that right now I can formulate my question differently: is there anyone who has had experience with one or the other and can comment on them?
Thanks in advance
A.

#140908 - 07/22/07 12:29 PM Re: Advice needed on laptop interface
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:

I intend to use the laptop at home; I really don't need another sound module (like suggested by Bernie 9) because I have plenty of sound sources to choose from. Right now I have:
- a Tyros 2
- a Roland G-70
- a Ketron Midjay
- a Roland Fantom XR with four SRX cards
- a Yamaha Motif ES rack
- a couple of samplers (Akai S2800 and Ensoniq ASR 10r) with plenty of sounds
- a Roland A-37 (76 notes master keyboard, which I intend to use together with the laptop)

So, in essence, all I need is an audio and midi interface, to enable my laptop to communicate with all of the above instruments and also with my digital recorder (Yamaha AW2616).
I think that the two models by Audiophile and Edirol could be a good choice, so I think that right now I can formulate my question differently: is there anyone who has had experience with one or the other and can comment on them?
Thanks in advance
A.

I have the Alesis i|O 26, few problems with drivers in the beginning, but working great with the new drivers.

Keep in mind that with any computer/interface combination there will be compatibility issues, check your laptop specs vs the interface requirements, you'll avoid lots of headaches.

I will also go for a Firewire vs. USB, even when the specs on a USB is 480kbps, and firewire 400, firewire still faster because of the way it handles data.[if you'll be recording 2 simultaneous tracks USB it's OK, maybe it'll take more tracks but it's tricky] http://www.qimaging.com/support/downloads/documents/FirewireUSB.pdf
It is also recommended that you look for a PCMCIA Firewire card with the TI Chipset.
Our laptop [Church laptop] works great with my i|O 26 and its firewire 4 pin port.

------------------
www.tagworld.com/vicentelopez

HE'S COMING, MAKE MUSIC, GET READY! smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online