SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#140886 - 08/27/06 10:32 AM Does this guitar sound ok???????
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Need some opinions on this keyboard guitar backing I created. It's an 8 bar backing riff using a "Keyboard Strat" sound. I created it for something I'm currently working on. It's MP3--so it's not as crisp as the original Wav. it was converted from.

If anyone is interested in how I created it let me know--it was actually quite easy.

Thanks,
Squeak
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=671098B45459BDE1
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#140887 - 08/27/06 11:04 AM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
If anyone is interested in how I created it let me know--it was actually quite easy.

Yes Squeak, I am very interested.

THanks, John C.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=671098B45459BDE1 [/B][/QUOTE]

#140888 - 08/27/06 11:48 AM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
fordtaurus Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I am a guitar player. To me it's kinda too clean and less dynamic. It's good enough for backing, but you can tell it's not played by a real guitar.

#140889 - 08/27/06 12:00 PM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
squeak_D Offline

Posted by fordtaurus:

---------------------------------------------
I am a guitar player. To me it's kinda too clean and less dynamic. It's good enough for backing, but you can tell it's not played by a real guitar.
---------------------------------------------

I'm a guitar player too There are several of us here. Actually I "intended" for it to be "clean" sounding. It was created soley for the purpose of "Backing Guitar". I could go much further with it, and add some delay, and fine tune a multi-effect for the sound, but I didn't create the sound to be "upfront" so to say. I wanted the sound to lack how should I say--a level of "cheese" you'd find on some boards , yet still sit well in a mix.

Personally I still have yet to hear a keyboard guitar that litteraly makes me have to change my underwear (however, some have come VERY close to doing it)--Rolands Guitar Mode is quite nice

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#140890 - 08/27/06 12:09 PM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
squeak_D Offline

Bruno,

Creating the backing part was really easy. I posted this because I still get quite a few emails from Zone members about "Synths" and what they can do in their setups along side an arranger keyboard.

With this backing guitar strum what I have to say is.. "NEVER underestimate the power of a synths arpeggiator!"

The joy of making this backing part was the control I had using my synths arpeggiator. I took a Strat sound--removed ALL effects from the start. I then chose a preset E-Guitar backing riff from the onboard arps on my synth.

The arp alone didn't contain any of the nuances (which is exactly what I wanted). I then added my own "pick" (strumming), and "string slide" between chord changes manually. This way I had complete control over the nuances within the looped arpeggiator.

After that I then added some reverb and chorus to thinken the sound a bit and make it sound a bit more spacious.

I know everyone's arrangers have mega voices and other models have voices similiar to that, but a synths preset and user arpeggiators can really blow your mind with the results.

Keep in mind though that when creating a custom arpeggiator..., we're talking about something that's a freakin fine science! I'm not master at it by any means, but know enough to get myself through it. A really good and detailed arp can take a week or more (even for an expert) to program.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-27-2006).]

#140891 - 08/27/06 01:00 PM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
A really good and detailed arp can take a week or more (even for an expert) to program.

I think this is the reason so many people find a great deal of satisfaction from arranger keyboards. Less time programming and more time playing. Workstation synths can allow a great deal of versatility but also require a great deal of time in many of the features they provide. Time I would rather spend in playing.

Regards,

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#140892 - 08/28/06 04:16 AM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
I think it would work very well as a rhythm guitar in a mix. Nice job!

#140893 - 08/28/06 05:48 AM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
squeak_D Offline

Thanks Tracy! I worked it in a mix last night and man it really does sit well. I made a good decision to keep the strat clean sounding. The nuances aren't overbearing, and blend in very well with the drum and bass tracks.

Squeak

#140894 - 08/29/06 05:14 AM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
Dnj Offline

Good job Squeak......
the multipads are a great way to add excitement into a style mix.
Glad to hear your enjoying your Psr3000 its a wonderful KB no doubt.

#140895 - 08/29/06 05:41 AM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Quote:
Originally posted by TwoNuts:
I think this is the reason so many people find a great deal of satisfaction from arranger keyboards. Less time programming and more time playing. Workstation synths can allow a great deal of versatility but also require a great deal of time in many of the features they provide. Time I would rather spend in playing.

Curious to know how much time it would take to develop a detailed arranger keyboard style from scratch.

George

#140896 - 08/29/06 08:22 AM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
squeak_D Offline

Dnj,
This wasn't done on a PSR. I don't own a PSR-3000--I tried one, and didn't like it. I did this arpeggiator on a synth (Roland).

Geroge,
The quality of a user style will reflect how much time you put into it It will also be determined by the players skill level. Doing fills can get tricky. So the amount of time it would take really would vary from one user to the next taking into consideration the ability of the person recording the style

Squeak

#140897 - 08/29/06 02:57 PM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
Dnj Offline

You got mail Squeak

#140898 - 08/29/06 03:03 PM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
squeak_D Offline

Dnj,
You have mail

Squeak

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online