SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#140886 - 08/27/06 10:32 AM Does this guitar sound ok???????
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Need some opinions on this keyboard guitar backing I created. It's an 8 bar backing riff using a "Keyboard Strat" sound. I created it for something I'm currently working on. It's MP3--so it's not as crisp as the original Wav. it was converted from.

If anyone is interested in how I created it let me know--it was actually quite easy.

Thanks,
Squeak
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=671098B45459BDE1
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#140887 - 08/27/06 11:04 AM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
If anyone is interested in how I created it let me know--it was actually quite easy.

Yes Squeak, I am very interested.

THanks, John C.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=671098B45459BDE1 [/B][/QUOTE]

#140888 - 08/27/06 11:48 AM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
fordtaurus Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I am a guitar player. To me it's kinda too clean and less dynamic. It's good enough for backing, but you can tell it's not played by a real guitar.

#140889 - 08/27/06 12:00 PM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
squeak_D Offline

Posted by fordtaurus:

---------------------------------------------
I am a guitar player. To me it's kinda too clean and less dynamic. It's good enough for backing, but you can tell it's not played by a real guitar.
---------------------------------------------

I'm a guitar player too There are several of us here. Actually I "intended" for it to be "clean" sounding. It was created soley for the purpose of "Backing Guitar". I could go much further with it, and add some delay, and fine tune a multi-effect for the sound, but I didn't create the sound to be "upfront" so to say. I wanted the sound to lack how should I say--a level of "cheese" you'd find on some boards , yet still sit well in a mix.

Personally I still have yet to hear a keyboard guitar that litteraly makes me have to change my underwear (however, some have come VERY close to doing it)--Rolands Guitar Mode is quite nice

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#140890 - 08/27/06 12:09 PM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
squeak_D Offline

Bruno,

Creating the backing part was really easy. I posted this because I still get quite a few emails from Zone members about "Synths" and what they can do in their setups along side an arranger keyboard.

With this backing guitar strum what I have to say is.. "NEVER underestimate the power of a synths arpeggiator!"

The joy of making this backing part was the control I had using my synths arpeggiator. I took a Strat sound--removed ALL effects from the start. I then chose a preset E-Guitar backing riff from the onboard arps on my synth.

The arp alone didn't contain any of the nuances (which is exactly what I wanted). I then added my own "pick" (strumming), and "string slide" between chord changes manually. This way I had complete control over the nuances within the looped arpeggiator.

After that I then added some reverb and chorus to thinken the sound a bit and make it sound a bit more spacious.

I know everyone's arrangers have mega voices and other models have voices similiar to that, but a synths preset and user arpeggiators can really blow your mind with the results.

Keep in mind though that when creating a custom arpeggiator..., we're talking about something that's a freakin fine science! I'm not master at it by any means, but know enough to get myself through it. A really good and detailed arp can take a week or more (even for an expert) to program.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-27-2006).]

#140891 - 08/27/06 01:00 PM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
A really good and detailed arp can take a week or more (even for an expert) to program.

I think this is the reason so many people find a great deal of satisfaction from arranger keyboards. Less time programming and more time playing. Workstation synths can allow a great deal of versatility but also require a great deal of time in many of the features they provide. Time I would rather spend in playing.

Regards,

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#140892 - 08/28/06 04:16 AM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
I think it would work very well as a rhythm guitar in a mix. Nice job!

#140893 - 08/28/06 05:48 AM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
squeak_D Offline

Thanks Tracy! I worked it in a mix last night and man it really does sit well. I made a good decision to keep the strat clean sounding. The nuances aren't overbearing, and blend in very well with the drum and bass tracks.

Squeak

#140894 - 08/29/06 05:14 AM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
Dnj Online   content

Good job Squeak......
the multipads are a great way to add excitement into a style mix.
Glad to hear your enjoying your Psr3000 its a wonderful KB no doubt.

#140895 - 08/29/06 05:41 AM Re: Does this guitar sound ok???????
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Quote:
Originally posted by TwoNuts:
I think this is the reason so many people find a great deal of satisfaction from arranger keyboards. Less time programming and more time playing. Workstation synths can allow a great deal of versatility but also require a great deal of time in many of the features they provide. Time I would rather spend in playing.

Curious to know how much time it would take to develop a detailed arranger keyboard style from scratch.

George

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online