SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#139511 - 02/08/04 07:04 PM The Grammy Awards opinions...?
Dnj Offline

I have none....to depressing to keep watching it after an hour....funny I thought this was for all kinds of music Hmmmm?

#139512 - 02/08/04 07:15 PM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I watched a "song" or two. Guess I'm getting old. I found a golf tournament on the Golf channel.
DonM

#139513 - 02/08/04 07:30 PM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
Dnj Offline

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Good thing the Pro Bowl was on the Same Time!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-08-2004).]

#139514 - 02/08/04 07:36 PM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You definitely outlasted me. I turned on an old Bruce Willis movie, tilted a can of Coors Extra Gold and watched Willis for two hours--more exciting.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#139515 - 02/08/04 07:46 PM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
Man O Man, I couldn't make it thru the first song.
I keep checking but it don't get any better.

I must be to old.
Denny

#139516 - 02/08/04 09:26 PM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Old .... Shmold ..... Beyonce is lookin' GOOOOOOOD!

#139517 - 02/08/04 11:20 PM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Yep, same old same old. I caught 20 minutes or so before I turned to the news.

I thought that Alicia Keys might have given a better performance singing 'live' as she was. She just about murdered 'A House Is Not A Home'. I wish Simon Cowell had been there. Many AI hopefuls were much better than Ms. Keys.

Then Celine Dion came on and proceeded to sing into a dead mike and we got the benefit of some sound guy yakking about the audio feed . . .turn her up! turn her up! A roadie then appeared and handed Celine Dion another mike. Then we were treated to some good old fashioned whistling feedback.

It was hilarious, not the sort of thing you expect from 'star' performers or the million-dollar trappings of a major event.

Martina McBride was note perfect - nice song, lovely singer.

#139518 - 02/08/04 11:39 PM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
vclocke Offline

Loc: riverside, ca, usa
I'll ditto that for Martina !!

vc

------------------
Vern

#139519 - 02/09/04 06:16 AM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Boring....................No Clothing Malfunctions!!!!

..............but plenty of boobs!

#139520 - 02/09/04 06:18 AM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
Dnj Offline

Why didnt they let Andy Williams & Tony Bennet do a few songs? they were presenters?

#139521 - 02/09/04 06:36 AM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Didn't Andy Williams's voice sound higher than remembered?

I give an BIG OK to Prince, Beyonce, Martina and Faith. The reswt - so,so.

Justin, what a cop out. Apologizing just so they'd let you on the show.

#139522 - 02/09/04 06:42 AM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Why didnt they let Andy Williams & Tony Bennet do a few songs? they were presenters?

\

WHAT?!?.. and add MUSIC to the show?!?!?...

As far as the Celine Dion segment, I thought it was great to see the real 'pros' have problems we run into from time to time... I also thought that because of the problems, they couldn't give her any vocal efx such as reverb, delay, etc. which was interesting ... during the tune she even pulled out the earphones they use, probably because she couldn't hear a thing through them ... I'm not a Celine fan, but I thought she did a good job, especially under the circunstances...
That song really touched me last night, as my dad, who passed away 26 years ago would have been celebrating his 91st birthday today....
t.

#139523 - 02/09/04 07:11 AM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
cassp Offline

Pros are pros, so I expected Celine to do just what she did. Luckily for her she discarded the earpiece, as that whistle would probably have come thru her monitor. What I didn't care for in the production was her attempt to sing 'black.' She's got a great voice and I think Iwould have enjoyed it better if she would just be the white girl she is.

BTW, like Vince Gill too. Seems like country Rocks!

#139524 - 02/09/04 08:26 AM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Best thing as far as I was concerned... much less rap/hip-hop than I had expected. I got sucked in for the whole show hoping to see Tony Bennett, Santana perform... big disappointment.

#139525 - 02/09/04 08:35 AM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
What I didn't care for in the production was her attempt to sing 'black.'I would have enjoyed it better if she would just be the white girl she is.

Wow .... I can't believe you actually said that in public. You can't really think like that can you? She has a great style that transends color or definition. Putting a label on music, as a style is just horrible.
Did I misunderstand your comment, or was that a blatent rasist comment? I sure hope not, expecially comming from a musician/artist.

The "white" girl she is.....?? C'mon now. That thinking has to stop.

#139526 - 02/09/04 09:41 AM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I actually enjoyed the Grammy's very much. There were a couple of really inspiring moments during the show which almost drove me to tears:

I didn't realize how wonderful a singer Christine Agulera (sp) really is. Just wonderful!

I though Prince's opening number was down right groovin'.

Martina McBride, whom the wife and I saw in concert when she was an unknown, just blew us away.

The tribute to Luther Vandross almost drove me to tears, the piano playing by Richard Marx was very moving.

I was almost dancing on the couch when George Clinton and the Parliment of Funk teamed up with Earh, Wind, Fire, and a host of thousands doing funk.

I was almost moved to tears when George Harrison's wife and Yoko Ono accepted the Presidents awards and the ending to Warren Zevon.

Most Overrated: Alicia Keys, Justin Timberlake.

Most Underappreciated: Jazz, Michael McDonald, Eagles

Most Appreciated: The fact that there was much more music and less awards and useless announcer babble!!!

Just my humble take.
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#139527 - 02/09/04 10:40 AM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Likes...Vince Gill, Sting and Dave Mathiews(sp?). With a little practice, those guys could find regular work!...Gotta like Bootsy
Collins, Earth Wind and Fire and the almost coherent George clinton.

Alicia...good intentions...keep practicing.
Prince...that wierd little guy plays his *ss
off...much better than when he showed his *ss on national TV several years ago!

Russ

#139528 - 02/09/04 10:44 AM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
cassp Offline

Uncle Dave - are you pulling my leg? If you could watch a replay, you'd see and hear Celine tryin' ta prnunce those wurds as if she was a home girl - which she isn't. She has excellent pronunciation and diction and I thought her attempt at whatever it was diminished her rendition of the song. THAT'S ALL!

Racist remark? - I certainly hope not; didn't mean it that way. I was simply commenting on her vocal styling; not up to her usual crystalline self. The song itself is great; I agree that the song or music has no racial barriers.

Lastly, Al - I agree with your observations 100%

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 02-09-2004).]

#139529 - 02/09/04 11:22 AM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
captain Russ Offline

Justin...PLEASE don't EVER assault that suitcase Rhodes again...UGH!

Russ

#139530 - 02/09/04 11:57 AM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
WOW..... captain, I was going to ask about his performance on that, as all I saw was the promo ... was it that bad? .... unfortunately, I also missed Chick Corea...
t.

#139531 - 02/09/04 12:33 PM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Similar sentiments to all previous posts.
I thought the Prince medley was very cool, veryy well done, but oooooh, whatta a cruel way to treat a Telecaster (did you see him toss it aside?)
What ticked me of most was at the beginning preamble when they're announcing who's gonna be there and who's doing what, they mentioned Timothy B. Schmitt and Emmilou Harris, so I figured okay that's worth watching. All I saw of them was a quick pan past the camera during the Warren Zevon tribute. Scammed again!!
On the up side, at least there wasn't 3 hours of rap.

#139532 - 02/09/04 01:21 PM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
captain Russ Offline

T...Yea, it was that bad!

Russ

#139533 - 02/09/04 06:15 PM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
actually dug Timberlake on the Rhodes. and that he was playing one, with some smidge of originality, at all. also loved seeing Robert Randolph, the slide guitarist from the House of God church around Maplewood, NJ, tearing it up. band just snappin' behind him.

#139534 - 02/09/04 09:46 PM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
TERRYC Offline

Loc: St, Petersburg. Florida. u.s.a
High points for me.Martina Mcbride.Earth Wind and Fire.Professionalism of Celine Dion under extreme circumstance.BTW She is french Canadian and has always sung with a bit of an accent.And I was pleasantly surprised by the the perfomance of Justin Timberlake.He has very good pitch control, a good range,and I kinda liked the feel of the song.Christine Aquilera,has a marvellous voice,and I liked the opener with Prince and Beyonce.The sound techs at CBS should be ashamed of themselves,I thought their performance overall was sub par.

#139535 - 02/09/04 10:34 PM Re: The Grammy Awards opinions...?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
When they announced a few days before the show that it was going to basically be a Hip-Hop/Rap event with the Rappers taking most of the awards I suddenly lost my appetite for the Grammy Awards telecast. I didn't watch any of it. And from the sounds of it, by many of those here on the Forum who did watch it, I reckon I didn't miss much.

Best regards,
Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online