SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#138666 - 10/28/05 01:15 PM Somebody know Yamaha 9000 Pro (not PSR-9000)?
RolandLover Offline

Dear All,

Does somebody know about Yamaha 9000 Pro (not PSR-9000) arranger workstation?

Can somebody give reviews, please?

Thanks

#138667 - 10/28/05 02:26 PM Re: Somebody know Yamaha 9000 Pro (not PSR-9000)?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I am not going into a lot of detail, but I owned this board for 3 years. Great key feel and response possibly the best keys Yamaha have ever put into an arranger. Built like a tank and heavy. If you get one at the right price you should love it. I Regret selling mine. Make a great master board to connect to a 2nd keyboard.

#138668 - 10/28/05 03:03 PM Re: Somebody know Yamaha 9000 Pro (not PSR-9000)?
Bubbi Offline

Loc: Keflavik, Iceland
I have been using one for 3 years now with piano plugin board. Have been using it professonally. It has done a good job but has to go for Tyros2.

#138669 - 10/28/05 03:21 PM Re: Somebody know Yamaha 9000 Pro (not PSR-9000)?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Rolandlover:
I play both, they're great keyboards both. The pro has 76 keys perfect for someone who demands a more acoustic feel, lots of space for doing custom voices, a couple of rack lights, and no onboard speakers, has a high Z mike input, and off/on switch on the back, and that is the basic difference between the two. The psr9k is a great keyboard if you like the ability to do fast guitar and accordion type of things, the sound from the psr is just amazing and can be tweaked to get right up there with the tyros 1 (IMO). I love these boards, but they are in mosts opinion old and time running out. Still some may keep them forever, they do a terrific job of entertaining, and playing to a crowd of people, "not Studio work", they still are tops.

If you are looking to buy one, I'd reccommend one of two ways, If you absolutely need 76 weighted keys, then the pro would be it, If you can live without the extra keys, the psr9000 has far better sound and it maybe 100 bucks cheaper.

A lot of guys on here would probably tell you to forget the 9000's buy a 3000 for a couple hundred more, and have a new board that has usb and the newer additions.

I'm fixing to go to a new ty II and will be selling the psr (maybe) The pro has to stay for the Church, so any piano player can use it. However I'm not convinced to give up my psr untill the tyrosII proves itself. The mega guitars has inticed me, But the tyros 1 did not part me from the psr9000.

One opinion.....Mine....Lots of luck.....Pose

#138670 - 10/28/05 04:28 PM Re: Somebody know Yamaha 9000 Pro (not PSR-9000)?
JonPro Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I have used a 9000PRO for the last 3 to 4 years and still love it. I agree with everything that has been said.
I use it for gigging every week and it has been, and remains a reliable work horse. It has never failed me - ever.

Compared with the "modern technology" it may be showing its age (T1 and T2, Roland and Korg) regarding latest connectivity devices, but this can be overcome with third-party products to give you usb and computer integration.

The sounds, including organ flutes, of the 9000PRO are more than competitive and can be tweaked to your own ear and situation without too much hassle.

It has a Vocal Harmoniser which isn't perfect (I haven't ever seen one which is) but it more than allows you to get the job done. I use a SURE WH20 head mic which couples with the 9000PRO without problem.

The keyboard's input/output facility is ahead of most of its modern counterparts. Being able to channel selected individual parts out through separate ports (4 plus main ports) is a real bonus.

For "programming" the ability to plug in a normal qwerty computer keyboard is another time saving facility.

When performing I use the plug-in lights, which look great (atmospheric) and are functional for when the house lights etc. actually go out (which on recent occasions has happened more often than not).

The screen is large and legible but is not colour or "gooey". It is "character". (A sign of the times).

The 9000PRO has a basic sampling facility which allows you to create new sounds, limited only by your imagination and skill and patience. The new sounds can then be stored and used in your normal work.

One of the original reasons (for me) buying a 9000PRO, is that it has two plug-in slots for two additional sound boards (synths). This makes life really interesting.

The music database comes with about 602 pre-arranged songs(styles)- not as comprehensive as the more modern keyboard offerings but is a great start to what you want to do. I have built my own databases because it is that easy.

I have got the latest version of the operating system installed.

Whenever I play, there is always some who come up and admire the technology (despite its age). They would not relate to its vintage, they just love the sound, what it can do and their good experience.

I continually evaluate the latest offerings from Yamaha, Roland and Korg. For what I do, I would only use 76 keys having already come from 61 keys. So, T2 is not an option. T3 with 76 keys would certainly be worth a look. To me Roland may be a go when (if ever) it settles down - on paper it is an awesome keyboard but, it lacks some of the nicer things that I like about the 9000PRO, as does the Korg offering.

Hope this helps you.

[This message has been edited by JonPro (edited 10-28-2005).]

#138671 - 10/28/05 05:11 PM Re: Somebody know Yamaha 9000 Pro (not PSR-9000)?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Rolandlover,

Both Eric and Esh play the 9000pro. Maybe they will respond.

Tom

Tom

#138672 - 10/28/05 07:54 PM Re: Somebody know Yamaha 9000 Pro (not PSR-9000)?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
my PSR9000 also has the sample option and I have installed 65 Mg of sample ram.
It also has the Scsi option and I have a cd player hooked up to it and can load files into it from the cd's
I would think the pro could also?
Bebop

#138673 - 10/28/05 09:02 PM Re: Somebody know Yamaha 9000 Pro (not PSR-9000)?
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by loungelyzard:
Rolandlover:
The pro has a high Z mike input, and off/on switch on the back, and that is the basic difference between the two...

If you absolutely need 76 weighted keys, then the pro would be it, If you can live without the extra keys, the psr9000 has far better sound and it maybe 100 bucks cheaper.

A few corrections:

The 9000 Pro has a low-z professional mic input (not high Z), two LittleLite sockets (very handy) and four individual outputs in addition to the stereo outputs. It can also take up to two PLG expansion boards. The keys are unweighted (sometimes called "synth-weighted) but there are 76 of them. And it has very basic mono sampling capability. That's how it differs from the PSR9000 (which does not sound better than the 9000 Pro btw).

I still own/use two 9000 Pro's and they are very good performing instruments. Yamaha went a bit too far with the features they crammed into it and consequently it's quite possible to overload the keyboard's processor by asking too much of it at one time. I can go into great details about where Yamaha dropped the ball with the 9000 Pro but I'm over it and so are most people who've read my posts for a while.

I wouldn't recommend the 9000 Pro unless you get some outrageous deal on one. JonPro's review was more than fair to it...

#138674 - 10/29/05 02:55 PM Re: Somebody know Yamaha 9000 Pro (not PSR-9000)?
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi RolandLover,

I still own a Pro and inspite it's age it still makes some fine music.

The main reason why people buy an arranger over a snth is the arranger function (styles) obviously.

With 3rd party styles and software it stlill holds it's own and rocks the house....

At the last California Synth Zone jam my Pro was right next to the Tyros1 and had no problems whatsoever keeping up with it.

It of course depends on what you are looking for.

Maybe you want to ask some specific questions that we then can answer.

BTW I have used the Vocal Harmonizer a lot and done my own custom settings and it never gave me any problems.

However Esh is right: "Yamaha went a bit too far with the features they crammed into it and consequently it's quite possible to overload the keyboard's processor by asking too much of it at one time".

But this did not happen to often to me. And I learned to get around it.

Eric

#138675 - 10/29/05 03:00 PM Re: Somebody know Yamaha 9000 Pro (not PSR-9000)?
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
BTW you can still listen to some demos here:
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Cont...D%253D,00.html#

Click on media clips.
If you scroll down you'll even find a Vocal Harmony demo.

Enjoy

Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric, B (edited 10-29-2005).]

#138676 - 10/30/05 11:45 PM Re: Somebody know Yamaha 9000 Pro (not PSR-9000)?
RolandLover Offline

Dear All,

Wow! Thanks for all the great inputs.

Does somebody know how much Yamaha 9000 Pro is right now (to consider it a good deal)?

Thanks

#138677 - 10/31/05 03:03 AM Re: Somebody know Yamaha 9000 Pro (not PSR-9000)?
JonPro Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hi RolandLover,
A good deal would be as little as possible and what you are prepared to pay (soorry). About 12 months ago I saw a couple go for about $2000 to $3000 (Aus $)each and that was through a dealer.

Jon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online