SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#135579 - 12/18/02 08:58 PM Scott have you gigged with the tyros yet?
Dnj Offline

Was just wondering on your thoughts so far?

#135580 - 12/19/02 08:32 AM Re: Scott have you gigged with the tyros yet?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Donny and all,

Yes, after recently converting my custom personal 500 song PSR2000 Music Finder database over to the Tyros, I took it out for its first outing last Sunday (Xmas holiday gig) and it worked out GREAT, even though I still haven't received the Tyros Speakers or a carrying case yet (backordered). The Tyros is a joy to perform with and became an instant hit with the audience as well. The Tyros' lighted (glow) buttons are a real asset for LIVE performance especially in dimly light room situations, and gives it a real advanced high tech state of the art stage appearance, which wowed the audience right off. The large color LCD display further enhances this effect. The Tyros advanced sounds and styles are immedidately noticeable (to me) as well. Overall, they sound similar to the PSR2000, but the Tyros much fuller (warmer) & richer (smoother), like they were recorded at a much higher sampling rate (resolution), and the styles seem to 'breath more', with impressive realism. I'm particularly impreseed with the bass (mega voice) and drums on the jazz styles. They really swing and don't sound canned at all. The Tyros is turning out to be a BIG winner (for me) and imho, definitely WORTH the upgrade from the PSR2000. Did the audiences notice the improved sounds & styles? I dunno if they couldl tell or not, but they definitely were impressed with my performance, and the Tyros definitely inspired my playing, so I guess that's the most important thing. The Tyros keyboard action is also definitely a significant improvement over the PSR2000's keys (more responsive) and that made a big difference in my playing too.

As you all know, the Xmas season is the busiest time of year for us gigging musicians, so unfortunately, I won't have time to be posting here as often as I'd like, and also won't have time to record anything on the Tyros till AFTER Christmas. I do promise to share something (MP3s) as soon as I possible can though.

Happy holidays to ALL my Synthzone friends around the world.

Scott

#135581 - 12/19/02 08:41 AM Re: Scott have you gigged with the tyros yet?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Scott..
Glad to hear your "maiden voyage" with the Tryos went so well. What are you using for a travel case/bag?
Eddie

#135582 - 12/19/02 08:54 AM Re: Scott have you gigged with the tyros yet?
Dnj Offline

Way to go Scott!! Sounds like your having a good time plaiyng the Tyros. Will you be getting the Tyros speakers or are you going to use other means for monitors?
I'm almost burned out myself playing constantly during this holiday season, but I love it for sure.

Have a Great Holiday

Dnj

#135583 - 12/19/02 11:08 AM Re: Scott have you gigged with the tyros yet?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Eddie, I'm currently debating between the Kaces III Porter #9 with wheels, and the Yamaha Tyros specific softcase (Tyros Signature brand softcase w/ wheels). The Kaces Porter #9 fits the Tyros like a glove as the length and width are practically the same dimensions as the Tyros itself. I even took my Tyros in to my local Guitar Center store and tried it out myself. The Kaces Porter #9's interior length is a bit of a tight squeeze (in length) similar to the way the Kaces Porter #7 was tight (in width) with the PSR2000. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Yamaha on their Tyros specific 'Signature brand' soft padded case w/ wheels to find out if it's dimensions are any smaller or its weight (any lighter) than the Kaces Porter #9. Does anyone here happen to know?

Donny: Yes, I have the Tyros Speakers (TRS MS01) on backorder and expect to receive them at the beginning of January. Like with the Tyros keyboard, I'll have 30 days to try them out and decide if they are the best option for me or not.

In the meantime, I'm currently working out an alternative (hopefully improved) Tyros speaker mounting bracket option which will eliminate the need for using the protruding mounting brackets that come with the TRS MS01s. The idea I'm considering will utilize the speaker/music stand screw holes on the back of the Tyros, but the bracket/shelf unit will NOT protrude out from the keyboard the way the current Tyros Speaker brackets do, allowing the Tyros (with bracket/shelf attached) to fit into the smallest keyboard case possible, such as the Kaces Porter #9. I can't really finalize my design idea though until I actually receive the Tyros Speakers. I'll keep you posted on developments. - Scott

#135584 - 12/23/02 06:22 AM Re: Scott have you gigged with the tyros yet?
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I was wondering if the EV speakers are playing at a reduced volume with the Tyros.
When using the PSR 2000, you have the EV volume control boosted by the 2000 volume control. It does not appear the same set-up on the Tyros. Do you require an external mixer to boost the volume?

Regards,

Jerry

#135585 - 12/23/02 09:12 AM Re: Scott have you gigged with the tyros yet?
Dnj Offline

Terry & Scott,

How is the Tyros working out now that you have it a while? Pros/Cons?

thanx

#135586 - 12/26/02 08:07 AM Re: Scott have you gigged with the tyros yet?
rhumba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
The Kaces Porter #9's interior length is a bit of a tight squeeze (in length) similar to the way the Kaces Porter #7 was tight (in width) with the PSR2000.

"tight squeeeze" + "wheels" = wear-n-tear marks on your board.

You will need some extra padding on the bottom (the side where the wheels are). Utilizing the wheels will save your back, but it create a wear spot on the case and eventually will get to your board. As in my case.

The next time I buy a new board, I will make sure there's enough room for me to insert extra paddings on that side to compensate for this problem.

..rb

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online