SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#135454 - 08/04/01 05:13 PM What is the best ?
chanteur94 Offline

Loc: France
From France (so excuse my English)

hi everybody,

I want to buy an new Arranger very soon.
Who can help me to take a décision.
My last keyboard was a Roland G800.

what is the best : Solton SD1, Yamaha PSR900Pro, Roland VA76, GEM SK760 ...or someone know if some newest will come in september (in France)?

Thank's a lot for your response

PS : I haven't mentionned the Technics KN6500 because I want at least 76 keys

Frank.

#135455 - 08/05/01 12:05 AM Re: What is the best ?
Roel Offline

Bonjour Frank,

Please read all postings, starting now minus 6 months and you will find many personal impressions of the ones you mentioned. (except the GEM-one)

It was written before : Every musician has his own opinion about 'the best one for him'.

I prefer the SD1.

Roel
The Netherlands

#135456 - 08/05/01 01:02 AM Re: What is the best ?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Hello Frank (Francois?),
just to add another opinion, try to compare the Roland VA 76 and the Yamaha 9000 pro side by side and then make up your mind.
The SD1 is a good keyboard but right now is not a good buy due to a weird noise in the effect processor (which is evident in effects like chorus, flanger, rotary, etc). People living in USA and Canada don't seem to notice this noise but here in Europe it is definitely a big problem.
When Ketron will fix this problem the SD1 will be an interesting option, but not before (some people here in Italy, where I live, are already selling their SD1s, so I am afraid that right now, it is not a good investment for your money.
Andrea

#135457 - 08/05/01 04:48 AM Re: What is the best ?
chanteur94 Offline

Thank you for your response.

I've already read all postings but the market goes quick.
I'll buy my arranger in the beginning of september, and perhaps, somebody knows if some news come or if the SD1 will be better (thank's ANDREA (my name is really Frank, not Francois)).

For the moment my choice is between SD1 and Yamaha 9000pro.. (I don'h have musician information about the GEM).

Thank's for this Forum !!

Frank.

------------------
Fbi

#135458 - 08/05/01 06:48 AM Re: What is the best ?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
There are sooooooo many posts about the strengths of these boards. Do a search on each type and see what's been said already. The Yamaha site has audio samples of the 9kpro, and i think the Ketron site does too. Personally, I'd leave GEM out of the mix. Nothing they make can compare to the 9k. I'm not interrested in the SD1 for a lot of reasons, but if you have specific questions about the 9k, VA7, PA80, KN6x - send me an email. I've had them all, and I'll tell why I passed on each one. I'm pretty sure that for the money - the 9kpro is the most complete, professional, expandable keyboard on the market. Even if it didn't have an arranger - it would sell like hotcakes as a gigging keyboard. It's the easiest to navigate by far!

#135459 - 08/05/01 06:54 AM Re: What is the best ?
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
HI: Frank
I will give you my 2 cents worth.
I have & am enjoying the 9000 PRO, I think it
is a great KB.
I was dissapointed in it when I first got it
back in Feb. because all of the voices, including the rythm section
was very mellow sounding.
BUT with the help of the EQ & a little Tweaking all is GREAT
I have loads of styles for it converted from
Ketron, Gem, Technics, Korg, Wersi, & more.
They all work great.
I have around 750 hrs. on it & haven't had
any trouble at all no freeze up or anything.
Enjoying the 9000 PRO
Denny

#135460 - 08/05/01 07:52 AM Re: What is the best ?
Clif Anderson Offline

GEM is slated to release new keyboards soon, probably at the next large European show. It is hard to know if GEM can catch up with their competition. However, even the existing GEMs have features (numerous sliders and ability to read Akai-format sample disks) missing from the competition.

#135461 - 08/05/01 10:03 AM Re: What is the best ?
chanteur94 Offline

Thanks for your response.

I've downloaded the manual of the PSR9000Pro.

He seems very completed.

However, there are two functions on the SD1 or VA76 that I haven't seen on the 9KPro :

Mixed keyboard with audio file like Wav (the power of roland VA76 I think), and the possibility to read TXT files (Lyrics out of the midi ou kar file)(one of the possibility on the SD1).

Do you think that these possibilities will be able on the 9000Pro ?

Frank

PS : if yes, I think my choice is done. Else, I'll wait a little.

#135462 - 08/05/01 01:59 PM Re: What is the best ?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I am an owner of GEM Sk880 and I have tested PSR9000PRO. In my very humble opinion, GEM Sk880 beats PSR9000PRO in every category except the following:

1) some selected sounds such as: sweet trumpet, sweet flute, and few others. The piano on PSR9000PRO sounded ok but not that great. It is sad that they ported that same piano sound to Yamaha Motif.

2) The fact that PSR9000PRO had ballad styles that I really liked.

But otherwise, I am very disappointed.

But one of the biggest surprises is PSR740. My brother bought one and it included the same identical nice ballad styles as the PSR9000PRO and it also included the sweet trumpet and sweet flute sound. So the best of PSR9000PRO is included in PSR740 for merely $800. If you think that I am biased, search around. I initially was upset about PSR740 but after comparing it to PSR9000PRO, I realise the extreme value of it.

Now I am not saying that GEM SK/WK series is the best. They are outdated but certainly PSR9000PRO cannot beat them (at least not in every category). I have not listened to VA7, PA80 or SD1 because there is no dealer in my whole city that carries a SINGLE ONE. So I do not know.

#135463 - 08/05/01 02:14 PM Re: What is the best ?
chanteur94 Offline

Thank you sk880user,

But I'm looking for keyboard with at least 76 touch. So, the PSR740 will not be the right one.

But what about sk880..you say, that it is outdated but almost better than psr9000pro..what are your reasons ?

help !!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online