SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#135307 - 07/13/05 08:37 AM senior /ALF song list advice
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
One of the jobs I plan on pursuing in the near future is the senior circuit - either homes or assisted living =- I've read many posts about these, some of you have mentioned that they are enjoying 60s era songs - can I ask, what genre?? Musicals, country, pop?????
I'm slowly building my solo repetoire, and want to do some smaller jobs in the beginning. Any ideas on a songlist for these types of venues would be appreciated - i'm pretty spread out as far as what i can play - don't do a ton of country stuff tho - growing up in cleveland, oh, polkas were requested a whole lot more than country songs!! I do love to play a variety of things tho!
many thanks,

Jill

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#135308 - 07/13/05 12:07 PM Re: senior /ALF song list advice
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jill,

Because you are in the sunny south, a relatively high number of country songs would be a the way to go. Keep in mind, though, there are a lot of folks in your part of the world that are from up here in the frozen north. Therefore, a good mix of Sinatra, some upbeat big-band songs, and even some old fashioned rock & roll should be among your selection.

Naturally, this will depend upon the age makeup of your audience at the time. You would be amazed at the response to Shake Rattle & Roll from 80-year-olds -- they love it and know every word. The same folks also like Under The Boardwalk, Mack The Knife, Swinging Doors, Crazy, I've Got You Under My Skin and lots more along the same lines.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#135309 - 07/13/05 01:06 PM Re: senior /ALF song list advice
girljam Offline

Thanks gary - that's a big help -
i do know quite a few of the "older" country songs, patsy cline, etc, so these should suffice just fine. You are right about the south - any one playing down here needs to know some country staple songs!
Sinatra is one of my and hubby's fav's . . .
Many moons ago when i first started playing in public, just on the piano, I only played big band type things, and musical numbers - didn't even sing back then . . .
OK - back to practice . . .

ps - headed to your website last night - everything looks and sounds great!

Jill

#135310 - 07/13/05 02:41 PM Re: senior /ALF song list advice
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Jill-

Here's the exact set list I played yesterday at a large retirement community in Cincy...(45 minute program)

June Night (Instrumental)
It Had To Be You
San Antonio Rose
Those Hazy, Lazy, Crazy days of Summer
Blueberry Hill
Spanish Eyes
I'm Walkin'
Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain
The Way You Look Tonight
Could I Have This Dance?
NY, NY
Blue Hawaii
Don't Be Cruel
Have You Looked Into Your Heart
On The Road Again

...This was a slightly older crowd than average, so I picked these songs accordingly. Usually, there's a little more stuff from the 60's & 70's.

Good luck-

Bill in Dayton

#135311 - 07/14/05 05:14 AM Re: senior /ALF song list advice
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good selection Bill.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#135312 - 07/14/05 05:34 AM Re: senior /ALF song list advice
girljam Offline

Thanks so much bill - you've got a super variety there!
Here's a few i'm polishing up now to put in my "senior" list

Choo Choo Ch Boogie
Mexicali Rose
Ma (he's makin eyes at me)
Fever
Could I have this dance
Mack the Knife
Rum and Coca Cola
Walkin after Midnight
Rock n Roll Waltz
Who's Crying Now
Besame Mucho

Please feel free to comment if you think anything here would not be appropriate!

many thanks,
Jill

#135313 - 07/14/05 07:47 AM Re: senior /ALF song list advice
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Good set, Jill. "Who's Crying Now?" = "Who's Sorry Now?"?

Make sure you have at least 1 or 2 country (old country) songs and of course one 'token' polka. (Remember your Cleve roots)

BTW, I live close to Hudson, OH... where's Hudson FL?

Glenn

#135314 - 07/14/05 07:57 AM Re: senior /ALF song list advice
Dnj Offline

Just playing the songs & singing is NOT enough To "ENTERTAIN" them, anyone can do that you want to be steps aheah of the competition ALWAYS!! ......its just a recipe that MUST be performed and put together in a very maticulous way especialy suited for your audiences ....each show MUST be different in certain ways & developing it will take months possibly years to perfect if you want to be at the top of the heap! Take cririsizm in stride UNTIL you get no critisizm then you'll know your getting close to perfection..dont give up it can be done....Im doing it since Im 15 yrs old........call Adult centers & go see others do it and learn the good & bad from that too making your show even better, YOUR REPETOIR WITH The AUDIENCE IS Crucial TO YOUR SUCCESS, interaction is a MUST....heres a typical basic list of songs I use in my 1 hr Adult carecenter shows.....aside from all my regular big 4HR dance gigs.

CAROLINA IN THE MORNING
SHANTY TOWN
ON THE WAY TO CAPE MAY
SPANISH EYES
CHA CHA MEDLEY
MERENGUE MEDLEY
LET ME CALL YOU SWEET HEART [WALTZ MEDLEY]
NEW YORK NEW YORK
MILLS BROS MEDLEY SLOW BB [NEVER THE LESS]
JUST A GIGILO
PEOBODY MEDLEY [QUICKSTEP]
POLKA MEDLEY
TARRANTELLA ETHNIC WEDDING MEDLEY
ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK [50'S]
TWIST [60'S]
YMCA [DISCO 70'S]
YOUR CHEATING HEART
TENNESSEE WATLZ
JAMBALYA
SINGALONG [STANDARD]
GOD BLESS AMERICA

Good Luck
www.donnypesce.com

#135315 - 07/14/05 12:19 PM Re: senior /ALF song list advice
girljam Offline

THANKS!!!
This is such a help - my old partner and I basically performed small lounges, bars, some of the Eagles/amvets clubs, so doing the senior circuit will be new for me, thus the "senior set" music selection question. I probably won't be going "live" for several months, just in time for the snowbirds that flock here in droves every year. Don, you are so right about being "entertaining" - i've seen to many folks who don't, or can't!! I can only hope that with practice, i'll get in my own groove and style, since the last few years i've only played in duo's, being a OWB will be new for me.
I like the fact that the senior gigs are shorter, and many during the day time - I still have a 12 yr old daughter in school, and that was making some of the late night jobs a bit difficult for our family.
One of the big criticisms that was told to me about my last duo, was that my partner talked TOO much! She was a fun entertainer, but i remember a time or two when someone in the audience yelled "play some music already!" Hopefully, i can achieve a good balance, which only comes with practice and time! I will definitely take your advice and go seem so other entertainers in this venue. Would it be appropriate to call the activites director to ask if I might attend one?

Glen - I lived in solon OH for quite some time!! Marcelita's restaurant in Hudson was one of my favorite places to go eat some great mexican food! Hudson Florida is North of the Clearwater area, and about 10 miles north of New Port Richey.

and yes - i mistyped earlier - who's sorry now!!! I'm on song overload!!

Jill

#135316 - 07/14/05 02:45 PM Re: senior /ALF song list advice
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Jill-

A suggestion...

I'd absolutely encourage you to contact an Activity Director and find out when her best entertainer is performing. Ask for his/her phone number...Call them and ask if they'd mind you attending their next performance at XYZ Retirement Place. 99% of the time they'll say sure, c'mon down.

Getting to meet a well-thought of performer will give you some very localized insights on what facilites in your neck of the woods look for and find appealling. Depending on how close your act is to the person's act the AD suggests you come watch, you might make it clear up front that you're looking to market yourself in a new direction and that out of respect for this entertainer letting you come in and watch him do his thing, this facility would be "hands off".

First of all, they'll be impressed by your dis-arming approach and probably say don't worry about working here...

As I alluded to in another post ("Need advice from pros who are gigging") be careful about straying too far from your main purpose for being there. Being charming, personable, genuine, etc. in betwen songs does take practice...But be careful your in between song stuff doesn't sound "canned" or "scripted."

This is where Donnie hits the nail on the head. From watching others and practicing/performing ALOT it gets easier and easier. There are no shortcuts...For some people chatter is easy as pie...for others, its more difficult. Find your comfort zone and remember at all times that the song's the thing!

If you're ever up for a day trip to Lima, give me a shout...You'd be welcome to watch a show. I play in that area every month at one place or another. Maybe we could do lunch, too...

Always nice to meet up with another 'Zoner!

Good luck-

Bill in Dayton

#135317 - 07/14/05 03:08 PM Re: senior /ALF song list advice
girljam Offline

thanks bill,
for that excellent advice! I look forward to seeing what some of the other folks here are doing and playing.

Won't be in your neck of the woods for awhile, we've been in florida now for almost 2 years! I do still have family there tho - and i'll look you up for sure if i'm headed your way!

Jill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online