SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#134470 - 07/22/05 07:23 AM Steve Deming - Can you help?
Charlie71 Offline

Loc: Alice, TX 78332
Howdy Steve,
George Kaye asked me to contact you about whether or not I will get full functionality with a Yamaha UX16 MIDI connector attached to my Roland EXR-3 keyboard? I'm connecting it to a Dell Latitude D505 laptop running XP Pro and I want to use Band In A Box to create my accompaniments. Will the UX16 work or should I get something else?
Thanks,
Charlie

[This message has been edited by Charlie71 (edited 07-28-2005).]

Charlie

#134471 - 07/28/05 05:00 PM Re: Steve Deming - Can you help?
Charlie71 Offline

I have been out of town for the past week and when I got back online, I couldn't believe that NOT A SINGLE person had replied to my post... I know that I addressed it to Steve Deming, but NOBODY had any input? I'm renewing it in hopes that someone will reply? Is the UX16 a good USB/MIDI connector or do I need to get something else?
Please reply.... ANYONE?
Charlie

Charlie

#134472 - 07/28/05 05:12 PM Re: Steve Deming - Can you help?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Charlie,

I'm not familiar with the Yamaha UX16, however, I have used the Edirol UM1 for three years with a great deal of success. You may wish to talk with George Kay about this one, which sells for about $42.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#134473 - 07/28/05 05:46 PM Re: Steve Deming - Can you help?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Gary,
The UM1X was the one I recommended to Charlie. However, the Yamaha does the same exact thing from what I know. It shouldn't matter which one he uses. It is just a matter of getting the right driver into Charlie's computer and knowing what parameters to set on the keyboard to transmit and receive midi data. As much as I know about arranger keyboards, I know very little about hooking up keyboards to computers. I've never wanted to do this because I am not a player using these products outside of my store environment.
Good luck! I'm sure you will get it figured out.
Regards,
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#134474 - 07/28/05 06:18 PM Re: Steve Deming - Can you help?
Charlie71 Offline

Thanks George and Gary,
I'm sure that the Yamaha UX16 will work, but there is something about "sysex"? What is that and why is it important? I'm totally new in the MIDI scene and just want to be sure that I have the right equipment before I start hooking it up to my new EXR3. If the UX16 isn't going to work, then I'll sell it because it is new and never used and then I can buy the UM1X.
Charlie

Charlie

#134475 - 07/28/05 07:04 PM Re: Steve Deming - Can you help?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Charlie,

The YamahaUX16 or the Edirol UM1 will work just fine and do exactly the same job. However there is one thing to consider with those units; the cables are permanently attached. So if a cable becomes damaged it is probably cheaper to buy a new interface rather than sending it off for repair. Plus you have no control over cable length which invariably means at least one cable will be too short or too long. Another USB-MIDI interface to consider is the M-Audio MIDISPORT 1X1 as seen below.

To visit the webpage, click HERE .

This unit is nice for a couple of reasons;
1) As I said, you have control over cable length since you supply the cables separately.
2) M-Audio has been making USB-MIDI devices for a very long time and their drivers are very dependable.

Good luck,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 07-28-2005).]

#134476 - 07/28/05 07:13 PM Re: Steve Deming - Can you help?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I forgot your sysex reference.

SysEx is an abbreviation for System Exclusive Message. SysEx messages contain data that is proprietary to a particular brand/model of MIDI equipped device. As an example, SysEx can be used to transfer keyboard set-ups and/or patch parameters via MIDI to a storage device like a computer running software capable of receiving SysEx messages i.e. Cakewalk, Cubase, Logic, etc. If your set-ups or patches are ever erased for some reason, you can always send them back into the instrument via a SysEx dump from the computer software, through the USB-MIDI interface.

I hope that makes sense. If not let me know and I will try to clarify.

BTW, any USB-MIDI interface has the ability to transfer SysEx data.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 07-29-2005).]

#134477 - 07/29/05 06:07 AM Re: Steve Deming - Can you help?
John_CA Offline

Loc: Kern county, CA, USA
I have the Edirol UM-1X that has the midi cables attached to it and I'm very happy with it (PSR to XP PC), but it also exists in a version with only midi ports so that you decide on the length of the midi cables to use (model UM-1SX)

Gr.
John

------------------
Have a nice day smile

#134478 - 07/29/05 06:50 AM Re: Steve Deming - Can you help?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by John_CA:
I have the Edirol UM-1X that has the midi cables attached to it and I'm very happy with it (PSR to XP PC), but it also exists in a version with only midi ports so that you decide on the length of the midi cables to use (model UM-1SX)

Gr.
John

Hi John,

I wasn't aware that Edirol offered the UM-1SX. Thanks for pointing that out.

I still want to point out the advantage of not having permanently attached cables. The cable length has already been mentioned. But something else to consider is when a problem occurs with your set-up; PC, keyboard, etc., it is much better to be able to switch out one cable at a time to determine if the problem is cable related. This can't be done with cables that are molded into a device. Granted, if the installation is permanent, then there is less potential for cables to become damaged. But anything can happen. The family cat could gnaw through one of the cables (happened to me), or you could cut through one while trying to cut off a cable tie (embarrassing, but I did it).

There is hardly any price difference in the two types of interfaces. The MIDISPORT 1X1 comes with a USB cable and I think it may even include MIDI cables.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#134479 - 07/29/05 06:57 AM Re: Steve Deming - Can you help?
Charlie71 Offline

Thanks, Dave and John,
My new EXR3 just arrived and I'll be able to play with it this weekend. I will try out the UX16 and see how it works. You have given me a lot of starting info and things to think about for the future. I'm sure I'll be getting back on the forum quite a lot over the next month or so with a lot of questions about my new keyboard.
Thanks to EVERYONE that helped!
Charlie

Charlie

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online