SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#13388 - 01/03/99 12:43 AM Nord Modular / Nord Lead II - opinions
Chamber FX Offline

Loc: USA
Hello. As it is I will probably be buying a Nord Modular quite soon. Whether it will be the keyboard or the rack version I am as of yet unsure. I would like any opinions you might have reguarding this synth. My real question however is this.

If I have the Nord Modular, is there any reason for me to purchase the Nord Lead II?

OK, I currently have a JP8000 and a Prophecy and would like to have another virtual synth and the Nord Lead II would be a nice added sound [yes, I have heard that the Virus is better, but I would like this one to be a keyboard] But I guess the main reason for the Nord Lead to have caught my eye is that I have seen a pic of the Modular rack on top of the Nord Lead II and I really can't say anything more than it was love at first sight. Now, I believe that I am correct in assuming that the Nord Lead would make a great controller for the Modular but would it be overkill. The Modular is a modular synth and can recreate the Lead along with really any other synth.

Well, let me know what you think.

#13389 - 01/08/99 07:49 PM Re: Nord Modular / Nord Lead II - opinions
Anonymous
Unregistered

It depends, but you have already some other synths, especially the JP8000 is good for in use with the nm (I use the nm togheter with the JP8080). With the nm you can emulate the lead II completely, except the arpeggiator. But I think, the Lead has such a cool keyboard, it would make enough sense to keep it. Especially the Pitchstick is sooo cool! I have the nm keyboard version and I love it, i use it beside my computer, also for sequencing mostly. It always depends how you work, but I m sure that the keyboard version is better for editing patches on the PC because you can lay your hand on the wheel and joybuttons. The rackversion is 3sided so it has not the same komfort. further you have the knobs nearer on your hands than if there is another keyboard in front of the rackunit.

In a way I would prefer to sell the prophecy because of its interface, but you cant replace the Prophecy by the nm of course (I have the Z1, therefore I sold the Prophecy).

#13390 - 01/08/99 09:21 PM Re: Nord Modular / Nord Lead II - opinions
Chamber FX Offline

Loc: USA
Thankyou for the response. It is good to hear others out there using these. I have basically decided to just start out with the Micro Modular I think. I am basically expanding my studio at the moment and just want to make sure I don't go over board. The Nord Lead 2 would be a really nice sound to add, and it is a great keyboard design. But I think there are a few other synths that I should prbably get aside from that. The Micro Modular will fill the need I have at the moment [right now I don't need much more than it being a mono synth]. And at the $650 cost on that the savings will allow me to buy more gear. I'm looking into a couple products by Waldorf, I'm currently just drooling over the "Q" that hasn't been released yet, but with the $3000 price tag I'm trying to decide what can be sacrificed to get it. If in the end I can even commit to spending that much on it.

This question was basically handled for me on the Synth Site gas station BBS, but thank you for the response.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online