SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#133754 - 01/11/05 01:30 PM Selling the Tyros - goin soft
kingjoeyjr2 Offline

Loc: Everett, MA USA
Hey Everyone,

I had an old username (kingjoeyjr) but the email address that was tied to was with an old provider that got bought by comcast. Forgotten password, no place to email it to, and we have kingjoeyjr2

That said, it's been a while since I posted here. I bought a new loft (OT I realize) and because of such am converting my multi-board setup to a sleeker PC-based one.

I dont play out, just at home, and only use the very basics of the TYROS. In fact, I use the TYROS so little that the plastic is still on the the display. I have a Yamaha p-250 that I use most of the time. I'm going to use that as the master controller, and probably use One Man Band (seems to be the favorite) for my styles/backing. My pc is powerful and right next to the piano so space isn't an issue.

My next dilemma is to decide which tone generator to get. I'm probably sticking with Yamaha (maybe even motif rack), but was curious if anyone had experience with OMB and another tone-generator.

Anyone want to buy a TYROS?

#133755 - 01/11/05 01:57 PM Re: Selling the Tyros - goin soft
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
What are you asking for it.....I believe that you are in Mass. correct???

#133756 - 01/11/05 03:17 PM Re: Selling the Tyros - goin soft
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
at the moment I'm using OMB primarily with the xg sounds in my Clavinova Clp170 (also I sometimes use my dgx). Most of the styles I use are primarily piano based. I personally found it easier to convert psr styles to xg than to gm ( but that's just my personal experience). I'm also converting some of the styles to Hypercanvas software ( gm2) & soundfonts, but that's a long term project for me.

If your piano has an xg sound set?? why don't you try it with omb first.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kingjoeyjr2:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#133757 - 01/11/05 08:37 PM Re: Selling the Tyros - goin soft
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by kingjoeyjr2:
My next dilemma is to decide which tone generator to get. I'm probably sticking with Yamaha (maybe even motif rack), but was curious if anyone had experience with OMB and another tone-generator.

Joey, you may want to wait for the Motif 'ES' Rack which most likely will be on display at NAMM on the 20th - 23rd of this month. If it makes it to NAMM you can probably expect it in stores by this summer. It will be the latest greatest and probably the quintessential when it comes to Tone Generators. In other words, the best of the best when it comes to quality of sounds and also in features most likely.

Sorry to hear of your dilemma regarding your Tyros. Your giving up perhaps the better of the two Boards vs. the P250. The Tyros already has one of the best Tone Generators on the market. Plus it has scads more Voices in it than does the P250. Unless you basically play just Piano and want 88 keys with weighted Hammer Action. Then I could see why you would sell the Tyros.

PS: You can probably sell it for more on eBay. Just be careful with people trying to rip you off somehow. eBay is littered with scammers. Buyers trying to scam sellers and vice versa. But if you want a relatively quick sale for the price your offering, eBay is probably the way to go although not the securest way needless to say.

Best regards,
Mike

#133758 - 01/11/05 09:22 PM Re: Selling the Tyros - goin soft
kingjoeyjr2 Offline

Loc: Everett, MA USA
To answer questions in order,

Yes, I am just north of Boston, MA. I was figuring on selling the Tyros with (with the Tyros) speakers for about $2400. I did put a listing on Ebay, have had good luck before with them, but also one really bad experience. With the advent of Paypal things seem to be a lot more stable on the security front.

I am going to give OMB a try with the p-250, as it is GM. Although I realize the 250 is no Tyros, I primarly play the piano and the graded hammer action just ROCKS. I stil want the arranger functions though.

Re: the MotifES rack, that's great news. I was leaning toward the Motif rack anyway (Yamaha owner for about 20 years now) I'll certainly hold off to see what NAMM holds.

Now I have to learn more about the whole SoftSynth thing.

#133759 - 01/11/05 10:12 PM Re: Selling the Tyros - goin soft
The Accordionist Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
Joey, you may want to wait for the Motif 'ES' Rack which most likely will be on display at NAMM on the 20th - 23rd of this month. If it makes it to NAMM you can probably expect it in stores by this summer. It will be the latest greatest and probably the quintessential when it comes to Tone Generators. In other words, the best of the best when it comes to quality of sounds and also in features most likely.

Sorry to hear of your dilemma regarding your Tyros. Your giving up perhaps the better of the two Boards vs. the P250. The Tyros already has one of the best Tone Generators on the market. Plus it has scads more Voices in it than does the P250. Unless you basically play just Piano and want 88 keys with weighted Hammer Action. Then I could see why you would sell the Tyros.

PS: You can probably sell it for more on eBay. Just be careful with people trying to rip you off somehow. eBay is littered with scammers. Buyers trying to scam sellers and vice versa. But if you want a relatively quick sale for the price your offering, eBay is probably the way to go although not the securest way needless to say.

Best regards,
Mike

Motif Rack ES will be announced at NAMM. There are many pictures and specs around at other sites (motifator.com, etc.).

Word is as a Rompler it may be fine but it doesn't have any sampling or sequencing cababilities.

I had the Fantom XR and am selling it. What a nightmare to sequence and program everything. I mean, I got good results but I spent four hours working with it for every one hour of playing. My arranger days were the complete reverse.

Best of luck to you. I would stick with the Tyros.

Tommy

#133760 - 01/12/05 04:51 AM Re: Selling the Tyros - goin soft
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by kingjoeyjr2:
Re: the MotifES rack, that's great news. I was leaning toward the Motif rack anyway (Yamaha owner for about 20 years now) I'll certainly hold off to see what NAMM holds.

The only downside to using the Motif Rack (ES) is that it will NOT have an internal SAMPLER. Thus, you will not be able to add sampled sounds to your setup. You can do that with a software sampler though. But, you've got to love those Yamaha sounds.

Many people are using the Roland Fantom XA with good results.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online