SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#133508 - 09/09/03 08:08 AM Need some advice......
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I will be playing a gig (job) at a convention in a hotel in a few weeks ... the room I will be playing in on the first night will hold about 50-75 people, the second night about 100+, but it will not be necessary to 'fill' the area with music ... Rather than carry all my PA stuff, I am asking the organization to provide an amp ... I'm figuring I will run my mic thru the digitech harmonizer into the amp, and my kn6000 into the amp, so I will need 2 inputs, but what kind of wattage should I be asking for? Also, if you could let me know any particular amps to use, that would be great ... Remember, the amp will probably be supplied by the hotel, so I doubt they would have anything too 'exotic' available.....
thnx,
t.

#133509 - 09/09/03 08:24 AM Re: Need some advice......
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My advice is TAKE YOUR OWN EQUIPMENT.
Don't rely on them to supply it, because it may not sound good, it may not work properly, or you may not understand how to set it properly.
You will be performing for all those people, many or most of whom have not heard you before. Each of them is a propective employer for future jobs. Sound your best at all times!
You can ask them to provide something, and use if if you want, but I would have a back up in the truck!
DonM

#133510 - 09/09/03 09:59 AM Re: Need some advice......
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony--TAKE YOUR OWN EQUIPMENT!!!!!!

Never, Never, Never rely on someone else to provide anything. It just doesn't pay. If they want to use their equipment for house music, that's just fine, but you're staking your reputation on someone you don't know. They may have absolute no knowledge of sound systems, they probably don't know the difference between EQ and ET, and if for some reason their system sounds like crap, guess who's gonna' get the blame. Play it safe, take your own equipment and collect the checks.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#133511 - 09/09/03 10:10 AM Re: Need some advice......
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Aw Gary, great minds think alike.
Seriously, Tony, we are speaking from experience!
DonM

#133512 - 09/09/03 10:11 AM Re: Need some advice......
Dnj Offline

Listen to Don and Gary!!!!!! Nuff Said!!

#133513 - 09/09/03 11:12 AM Re: Need some advice......
tony mads usa Offline

... well I guess that settles that!!! .. as usual, thanks, guys....
t.

#133514 - 09/09/03 11:46 AM Re: Need some advice......
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Tony, if you want to make a great impression, let me tell you, you got the right board to do the job. So, as you step up in front of the people and place yourself behind it, you already know you have slid yourself behind one of the most beautiful music makers made. Now, to expand those thrilling heartwarming sounds of dance and rhythm you need something to amplify them with clarity and authenticy. Your setup requires no coloration of sound as some boards do. In my quest of a system of amplification to service a few people to as many as 300 took me many hours and days of experiment. Renting and borrowing. Renting and borrowing. Listening and evaluating. Listening and evaluating. Other factors had to be taken into consideration also, weight and size among others. One day I wandered into a very upscale piano store here in Chicago land. Sitting up on a carpeted riser of dominance were three beautiful grand pianos. Very grand to say the least. One was fitted with a disk player and was singing out its melodies flawlessly with the quality that only a lovely great grand piano could produce. Then came melodies with orchestral accompaniment worthy of the great piano. Standing in awe with my mouth wide open, my eyes fell upon two petite black beautiful speakers nestled under the grand. Yamaha MS60S. Yes two of them reproducing stereo, each doing it’s job to perfection. Next I rented them for my next engagement and now having bought them had them on every job for the last four or so years after receiving many compliments. With a response of 20Hz - 20kHz, 60 W each with a 22lb. cabinet measuring 17-1/2 x 11 x 9-1/2 inches they have done the job in every place, dinner dance, party or restaurant I have played so far, and done it masterfully. I will admit they are a little pricey, but so some will say my choice of keyboard is also. I guess I just like very good stuff and my clients do also from their response. I will say there is also other very good speaker systems out there but this is the one I chose. The sound, the size, the weight, the self-powered convenience and the sufficient power is the why of my choice. I also have chosen to mount them on tripods at about ear-level. Just another choice among many. Just would like you to know Tony, I make my own choices and did not let others make them for me. Gives me great satisfaction and pleasure and hope you can glean the same from your own choices and decisions.

Grandpa Doug

#133515 - 09/10/03 06:38 AM Re: Need some advice......
tony mads usa Offline

Grandpa Doug ..... thanks for your words of wisdom also ... I am quite satisfied with the equipment I have (especially the kn6 ), but I was looking for a quick and easy way to amplify the sound without the need of taking all my gear (the overall logistics of the situation make that difficult) and without incurring any expense to me... but, I guess I'll just have to work it out....
t.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online