SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#133252 - 01/15/07 02:43 PM G-70 to E-80 anybody?
Canadian Mountie Offline

Loc: Canada
Hello all,
Now that E-80 has been out for a while and we have seen what it can/can't do, I was wondering if there are any G-70 owners who have made the switch to E-80. Or perhaps people who were considering purchasing a G-70 but waiting for the E-80 to come out to see if it would be the better choice, and what choice you made. Or perhaps you were waiting for E-80 and after hearing it, decided to go with Yamaha or Korg perhaps? For me, a G-70 owner, it would be a downgrade. Any new sounds, two SRX slots etc etc would not be worth losing the 76 keys. Anyone with different opinions, I'd be interested to hear what prompted you to make the change or which one you chose to buy.
-Jon

------------------
-For the Glory of His Name

#133253 - 01/15/07 09:08 PM Re: G-70 to E-80 anybody?
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
for me, i have 76 keys (like G70) and good styles and sounds (like E80).
the answer is E60.

now, before somebody understand this wrong, i should mention E60 is NOT equal to E80 or G70!

#133254 - 01/16/07 01:53 AM Re: G-70 to E-80 anybody?
Rolman Offline

Loc: Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Mountie:
Hello all,
I was wondering if there are any G-70 owners who have made the switch to E-80. Or perhaps people who were considering purchasing a G-70 but waiting for the E-80 to come out to see if it would be the better choice, and what choice you made. Or perhaps you were waiting for E-80 and after hearing it, decided to go with Yamaha or Korg perhaps? For me, a G-70 owner, it would be a downgrade. Any new sounds, two SRX slots etc etc would not be worth losing the 76 keys. -Jon

Or may be they choose it because of 'etc etc'.
Greetings
Peter

#133255 - 01/17/07 03:19 PM Re: G-70 to E-80 anybody?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There are a couple of important differences between the E80 and G70 that may, or may not be important to potential buyers.

Firstly, of great importance to many pros that use a mixer is that there are no individual outs on the E80.... not for the Harmonizer OR for individual Parts. Everything gets squirted out through the same L/R jacks. This ties in with Roland's philosophy (erroneous, in my opinion) that the E series is a 'home' keyboard and the G-series is more 'professional'.

The only REALLY significant OS difference between the two (again, IMO) is that Lyrics can be tied to Songs (SMFs) AND Styles on the E80 - Songs only on the G70 - and the .BMP viewer on the E80, useful for reading scanned lead sheets, otherwise just eye candy.....

There are many more sounds in the G70, with extensive backward compatibility for older Roland arrangers, whereas there are fewer, but some significantly better sounds (especially drumkits) in the E80. Only your ears will tell if it is worth the extra.... (cost, weight!)

For me, virtually NOTHING would ever make me give up the wonderful action of the G70. If the feel and responsiveness of the action you play has ANY importance to you whatsoever, you owe it to yourself to at least play on a G70, and then complain to YOUR arranger's manufacturer 'why can't mine feel as good?'! If not, you will always get the cheapest action your manufacturer thinks they can get away with.....

#133256 - 01/17/07 06:12 PM Re: G-70 to E-80 anybody?
Canadian Mountie Offline

Loc: Canada
Dikki,
You're totally right about the keybed action IMO. It took a bit for me to REALLY like it, but now when I play anything else, I long for the G-70. I would never give it up, in fact, I know that it has made me a better player. It seems like the perfect balance between getting the expressive action you need for piano and a great organ action that you can just fly around on. But you're right, there may be some who this is not important for when comparing to E-80's pros. If there is, I'd love to hear your points.
-Jon

------------------
-For the Glory of His Name

#133257 - 01/17/07 08:03 PM Re: G-70 to E-80 anybody?
montana Offline

Loc: red lodge,mt,usa
I wonder if a future OS upgrade will get the G70 lyrics display to work like the E80. It would be the perfect gigging machine then. Why didn't they have these things when I was younger.

#133258 - 01/17/07 08:57 PM Re: G-70 to E-80 anybody?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by montana:
.. Why didn't they have these things when I was younger.

Hehe, guess some people said the same when we was younger too.
Electronic music inventions and development are sure amazing stuff.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online