SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#133011 - 11/09/02 03:15 PM Please compare SD1 and XD9 . . . DanO, George?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott gave his impressions after playing these keyboards side-by-side and seemed to favor the SD1.
Can anyone add pluses and minuses?
Thanks,
Don

#133012 - 11/09/02 03:42 PM Re: Please compare SD1 and XD9 . . . DanO, George?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Just in case people missed my Ketron SD1/XD9 review:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/004964.html

#133013 - 11/09/02 10:55 PM Re: Please compare SD1 and XD9 . . . DanO, George?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Don,
I have an SD1 and an XD3, so I think I can comment here.
The basic difference is that the SD1 has double the ROM (48 Mb vs 24 Mb) and this means not only more sounds (especially organs and saxophones) but also better ones (the acoustic piano is much better on the SD1; on the XD3 it sounds kind of synthetic because the samples are shorter). On the other hand, on the XD3 Ketron has made a step forward improving the OS and the DSP (which is now more silent). Some sounds (like the electric pianos) have been resampled and are cleaner on the XD3. The XD3/XD9 lacks the hard disk (which is optional) and the sampler. Also, there are less buttons and the menus have been simplified, with some sounds (like flutes and saxophones) grouped in the same category. On the plus side, the XD3/9 has a feature called drum remix (you can play a midifile using the rhytm section of a style).
If you use the arranger just to back up your singing the difference in sounds maybe would not be relevant to you, because the styles are the same, but if you like to play a solo every now and then (and I know that you do) you would be happier with the SD1 (and this applies especially to the acoustic piano, the organs and the saxophones).
Ketron is about to release a new OS for the SD1 and this will hopefully include new features, already present in the XD9.

#133014 - 11/10/02 05:24 AM Re: Please compare SD1 and XD9 . . . DanO, George?
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Andrea,
If you don't mind would you give me your opinion on your Pro and your SD1...? Thanks, Lou

#133015 - 11/10/02 09:18 AM Re: Please compare SD1 and XD9 . . . DanO, George?
Dreamer Offline

Lou,
I think that they are two great keyboards, that complement very well each other. I find them both extremely useful when it comes to recording a song. Talking of styles, it would be difficult for me to do without my SD1, because the styles are so natural, due to the sampled grooves, while the 9000 pro does indeed sound "canned". To record Malafemmena, and make the style more lively, I turned down the rhytm jazz guitar and played that part myself. With the SD1 maybe this wouldn't have been necessary.
This is not to say that all the 9000 styles are useless; I haven't checked all of them, but some of them are really nice: very simple maybe, but at least don't get into your way.
The 9000 pro is very well laid out, both externally and internally (I did open the lower lid to mount the hard disk and was amazed to see all that electronic stuff so well laid out: a real pleasure for the eye). The SD1 is less logically organized and navigating through the menus can be a little more painful, but once you have grasped its logic (or the lack of a logic), it's OK. The SD1 seems to have a better sample handling ability, but I will check more on that later.
Speaking of sounds, the 9000 pro has an overall cleaner sound; I have to open a parentesis here to say that I think that every keyboard has a personality (even if someone says that they are just a bunch of electronic stuff), and that their personality reflects the personalities of the people who designed them.
To make an example, when I sit down at the 9000 pro I usually find myself playing soft tunes in a mellow, laid back way. If I close my eyes, I can see mature couples dancing, speaking softly and smiling to each other.
If, on the other hand, I sit down at the SD1, I start to play a different kind of music or maybe the same music but in a different way and, if I close my eyes, I see young people dancing and shaking their bodies...young bodies that transpire... (can I say that or is it too sensual?)
They both have good sounds; as soon as I can I will record again Wave entirely on the SD1, so you'll be able to compare the piano with the 9000 pro; if you wish I could record a ballad with the SD1, to let you compare the style with the 9000 pro style used in Malafemmena and hear with your ears what I mean saying that the groove adds life to the style.
Always speaking of sounds, there are a few categories where I find the 9000 pro better, especially electric pianos and voices; on the other hand, the SD1 has some beautiful organs and saxophones and the drums really kick. To make an example, it would very difficult for me to record a R&B or a Soul number with the 9000 pro, after having tried the SD1.
I have compared more in depth their features in the topic "Is the SD1 the best arranger on earth?" (or something like that), posted by Roland Fan.
If you have more specific questions, I will be happy to answer.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 11-10-2002).]

#133016 - 11/10/02 11:06 AM Re: Please compare SD1 and XD9 . . . DanO, George?
Lou Y Offline

Andrea
Thank you so much for your well expressed opinion on these two boards. I have had the chance to sit and play the sd1, not very long though and I agree about the percussion and some of the styles sounding so alive. What did you mean when you said: (as soon as I can I will record again Wave entirely on the SD1) how do you record a wave on this KB? And yes I would love to hear you record a ballad with the SD1, to compare the style with the 9000 pro styles used in Malafemmena.
Thanks again, Lou

#133017 - 11/10/02 11:12 AM Re: Please compare SD1 and XD9 . . . DanO, George?
Dreamer Offline

Lou,
I was referring to the song "Wave" by Tom Jobim. I did record the song almost entirely on the 9000 pro and Donny asked me to do that again but on the SD1.
OK for the ballad.

#133018 - 11/10/02 01:39 PM Re: Please compare SD1 and XD9 . . . DanO, George?
Lou Y Offline

Thanks Andrea, I'm sure this will be a very interesting comparison. Now all you need is the time to do it....
Lou

[This message has been edited by Lou Y (edited 11-10-2002).]

#133019 - 11/10/02 04:49 PM Re: Please compare SD1 and XD9 . . . DanO, George?
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Andrea
It's great to read your thoughts about playing your SD1 and 9000pro. I think those young couples you imagine dancing to your SD1 would be perspiring - not transpiring, which is something plants do to exchange CO2 carbon dioxide. Actually, I think they would be sweating, or dripping in sweat, as they writhe their hot bodies around in rhythmic gyrations to the beat. But, that's a whole different topic.

I had a chance to play the XD9 the other day. Scott Yee mentioned a nearby music dealer that carries them, so I paid a visit. I really like it a lot. I didn't try the SD1 on purpose, because I know I would have like it even more! I already have too many keyboards as it is, but maybe I might make some room for another?
Tom G.

#133020 - 11/10/02 10:15 PM Re: Please compare SD1 and XD9 . . . DanO, George?
Dreamer Offline

Tom,
an english lady I used to know once told me
"Horses sweat, men perspire, ladies gently glow".
But she was english, you know...
It's funny how different people have different perceptions of what's considered polite or not. Perspiration is a topic that can really embarass people, in UK...
OK, thank you for correcting me and back to keyboards:
Tom, the SD1 would be a really nice addiction to your already imposing setup; I am sure that you have room in your house for another keyboard and anyway... you can always resell one or two, or would that be like partying with a newborn baby?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online