SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#131965 - 08/01/05 06:58 PM My keyboard temporarily 'dies' for a second
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
This stinks. It happens quite often. I just did about eight takes, I'm not exaggerating... kept screwing up... trying to record a song from start to finish on psr2000. I finally nailed it and got to the VERY END and pushed "END" and the sound like disappeared for a second. It also does this sometimes when I hit the "Main" a-b-c-d fill buttons. Is this preventable or fixable?

EDIT: I mean the sound just mutes for maybe half a second, then comes back in.

EDIT AGAIN! It kept doing it. Finally turned off board, turned back on. Tried the ending, it worked correctly. Did a perfect take, made it all the way to the very end again and damn it! Muted out again for a split second.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 08-01-2005).]

#131966 - 08/02/05 05:08 AM Re: My keyboard temporarily 'dies' for a second
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Shot in the dark - could this be to do with outputs being muted when the effect type being applied to the voice changes? Could there be a change happening when you press stop?

#131967 - 08/02/05 05:42 AM Re: My keyboard temporarily 'dies' for a second
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Nothing is muted.

Something is wrong. I gave up last night in frustration after producing several perfect takes and the damn thing kept doing it. I get up this morning, turn on the keyboard in anticipation, did a perfect take and STOP. All sound just stopped. Except, it sounds to me like it does a high hat sound at the very end of the stop. It just stops and then HIGH HAT HIT. And then, split second later, all sound comes back in.

If anyone knows a solution, advise.

P.S. Don't forget, I previously said that this muting behaviour started occurring when I press one of the fill buttons. I know it happens on the D fill button. I press D and expect a drum fill and no, it stops. And, as reported in previous posts, the D fill button... sometimes I press it and NOTHING happens. Like the button switch is faulty. I press it hard as hell and nothing. Then, next time I press it, it might work.

P.S.S. I have reported before that occasionally, this keyboard does something squirrelly. Like, what the heck was THAT? Unexplainable barfs. Minor stuff, it keeps playing but whatever just occurred, it's not 'right.' It will be some minor hiccup unexpected. Yeah, I need a new keyboard but I can't right now. And the dang thing plays absolutely perfectly 99% of the time. I like it. For live use, a MINOR hiccup is acceptable. For recording an important demo, it's a real drag.

If anyone knows anything I can do, advise, please.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#131968 - 08/02/05 06:35 AM Re: My keyboard temporarily 'dies' for a second
John_CA Offline

Loc: Kern county, CA, USA
Bill,

When you hit 3 subsequent notes in the chord part, the accompaniment stops and starts again with the next chord, but I guess you know that.

Other then that, I would suspect a bad ribbon connection or some cold soldering points, because electronics do either work or don't, they don't alternate in between except for bad or corroded contacts.

At the going labor prices for electronic repairs, if you're handy, it would only cost you some time to open it up and check all connectors (even disconnect and connect them again) and a look for cold soldering joints.

The rubber contact under the D button might be getting worn out and needs replacement or some dirt is preventing a good contact (I once found a squashed tiny little fruit fly under a faulty button in a fax machine).

Gr.
John

------------------
Have a nice day smile

#131969 - 08/02/05 06:51 AM Re: My keyboard temporarily 'dies' for a second
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by John_CA:
When you hit 3 subsequent notes in the chord part, the accompaniment stops and starts again with the next chord, but I guess you know that.

Uh, not exactly, John. Three *subsequent* notes... you mean simultaneous? No, uh, what?

No, I don't know what you mean. In auto-accompaniment mode, I play left hand chords and everything is smooth as silk, there should be no starting and stopping.

Anyway, regardless of my misunderstanding of what you meant, I don't think that has anything to do with my problem. The 'end' button worked fine until now. And the D button worked fine until a few weeks ago.

Does anyone think a Reset would do anything? What do I press to do that? Will I lose registrations?

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#131970 - 08/02/05 07:26 AM Re: My keyboard temporarily 'dies' for a second
John_CA Offline

Loc: Kern county, CA, USA
Bill,

You have to be in Fingered mode in order that holding down any three adjacent keys at the same time will play just the drums alone.
If you play 4 keys, the lowest will be a bass note along with the drums.

Holding down C6 at startup will reset, I'm not sure if this one also clears Registrations, but you have your Registrations saved on diskette, no ?

However, I do not think this will solve button problems.

Gr.
John

------------------
Have a nice day smile

#131971 - 08/02/05 07:48 AM Re: My keyboard temporarily 'dies' for a second
SemiLiveMusic Offline

I don't think it's a button problem. For this gripe session, talking about the END button... it DOES end. It just doesn't do it the right way. It DOES activate the correct ending... A, B, or C. But it pauses with muting everything for a split second and then does the ending. But then sometimes, it will do it correctly.

I think it's an OS problem or something like that. I have mentioned 'squirrelly' things the keyboard does. Unexplainable things. I think there is something buggy.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#131972 - 08/02/05 08:12 AM Re: My keyboard temporarily 'dies' for a second
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill, is it consistent with one style, or does it do it on various styles? It could be the style is corrupted. Just a thought.
DonM

#131973 - 08/02/05 08:44 AM Re: My keyboard temporarily 'dies' for a second
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Bill, is it consistent with one style, or does it do it on various styles? It could be the style is corrupted. Just a thought.
DonM

Darn! I thought you had it figured out! I looked at the full name of the style and it said, of all things FoxSwing...SD1! (Not the SD1's fault... this style used to work for me!) Then I had to figure out where I had the original style stored. I found the original floppy and fired the style up and recorded. Got to the very end... same thing. Ugh. (Also, the D button did the very same thing toward the end on this take... totally stopped all sound for a moment.)

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 08-02-2005).]

#131974 - 08/02/05 09:08 AM Re: My keyboard temporarily 'dies' for a second
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
It only does that with this style ? The conversion itself has got to be very suspect ... I would think. I've had some of the same issues in One Man Band and before that my PSR2000 with a few of the converted styles, yet the exact same styles played perfectly on my PSR740.

If you absolutely must use this style for this song, you can check it all out if you can record the song to a software sequencer or record it to the 2000's internal sequencer and then open it up in a software sequencer. You should see the "dead spots" in each track's piano roll. You could also modify / stretch / move the notes in the sequencer and get rid of the dead spots.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 08-02-2005).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online