SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#130659 - 01/26/05 07:39 AM how do we use our sounds?
to the genesys Offline

I know sounds are very important to all keyboard players weather we use “synths”, “workstations” or “arrangers”. And today, keyboards are coming with thousands of sounds factory loaded.

But how are we using all those sounds? For example, for gigging purposes, how many different sounds a month do people use? I know for the style sections, unless we change what sounds the styles use, the style section is preselected for us. However, for lead and filler sounds, about how many different sounds a month do members use?

For my part, I find my self using around the same 50-60 sounds on an average month.

I know for production, composition and arrangement it could be all the sounds on the keyboard, modified sounds and also imported samples.

#130660 - 01/26/05 07:58 AM Re: how do we use our sounds?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Let's see...Grand piano, EP, 4 or 5 guitars, a couple of Strings, Fiddle, Steel guitar, 3 Saxophones, a Trumpet, a brass bed occasionally, 4 or 5 organs, a vocal sound or two, Vibes, Marima once in a while. . . that's about it. Maybe 20 or 30.
Good question!
I could get by with even fewer if I had to. But I do want them to be realistic. I strive to sound like a small combo most of the time, rather than an orchestra.
I understand that people who do different styles of music than what I do have a much different set of needs. I don't do New Wave, Rap, Hip-hop, Oriental, Middle East, and very few Latin. I'm sure there are many more types of music I don't do.
I suppose that's why the makers offer such a huge number of sounds, trying to make a "one size fits all" keyboard.
DonM

#130661 - 01/26/05 10:53 AM Re: how do we use our sounds?
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
In addition to Don's core sounds which closely match the ones I use...
In portuguese tradicional music, the accordion plays an important role. I use several from those available on my Tyros; they're all good. Also harmonica for solos. Another sound (unfortunately the Tyros' samples are not very good) I use sometimes when I play with local musicians in tradicional music (with celtic inspiration) is bagpipes. And some warm pads with my LH.

-- José.

#130662 - 01/26/05 11:51 AM Re: how do we use our sounds?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Some variations of the sounds DonM listed ... As Don said, I don't need a great deal of them ALL the time, but it's nice to have them there ... as long as they SOUND good ...
t.

#130663 - 01/26/05 12:21 PM Re: how do we use our sounds?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I sincerely believe that for the most part, the vast majority of us use less than 50 of the several hundred sounds available. Combinations or layering of sounds has been a tremendous assett for enhancing their overal quality and providing the realism that our audiences have come to expect. As for Don's list, I would add only a few such as the sweet trombone, sweet trumpet, fiddle, live strings, marinba, vibes and steel drum.

Good post,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#130664 - 01/26/05 12:32 PM Re: how do we use our sounds?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I would probably be happy with about 30 good voices, as long as they are MY voices.
That is the problem the keyboard mfgs. have. What voice to include that makes the most musicians happy. I never use accordion, harmonica and bagpipe (as metioned earlier).
In the Tyros II threat "The Pro" talked about modular keybeds. Why not have modular: keybeds, voices, internal amplifier/speakers, styles, harmonizer, etc.
Musicians can then have the arranger that they want.
Starkeeper

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online