SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#129857 - 11/07/02 07:54 AM Live Performance Vocal Effects
Anonymous
Unregistered

What type of reverb do you use for vocals during live performance... outboard (TC Electronics, Nanoverb, etc) onboard (from the keyboard) or PA built-in. Is there a significant difference between the choices... and is an upper-end effects unit that much better sounding than a NanoVerb?

Glenn

#129858 - 11/07/02 08:21 AM Re: Live Performance Vocal Effects
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I prefer to use the keyboard on-board effects.
Yamaha is particularly strong in this area.
The PSR2000 allows you to select, edit and store reverb, delay and compressor/limiter settings.
It is also easy to adjust "on the fly" because different venues often demand different effects.
I find the quality quite good. I also have external effects units, but they are currently not in use.
The audience wants to be able to hear clear, distinct vocals. I generally use a combination of a little reverb and a little delay (just one repeat, quite a bit reduced in volume from the original vocal signal).
In really live rooms, the delay is not used at all, and often the reverb is reduced.
The Talk setting on the PSR2000 (and 9000) is easily set up for an alternate vocal setting.
DonM

#129859 - 11/07/02 09:24 AM Re: Live Performance Vocal Effects
Dnj Offline

I'll agree, I have used Don's Vocal set up as described in his post on my Psr9k on stage for almost 2yrs now and havn't had to touch it once. I am trying to come close to that setting with my XD9 also. Just a little HALL rev and a short delay seems to work fine in most cases. Let me include that YOUR MICROPHONE will make a huge difference in Vocal quality also. I switched to a Sennheisure 855 Evolution and never looked back. For "MY VOICE" its excellent.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-07-2002).]

#129860 - 11/07/02 11:53 AM Re: Live Performance Vocal Effects
trtjazz Offline

For my recorded vocal pieces I use a Tc Electronics G force Cathedral reverb and on occasion a touch of slap back delay.
jam on,
Terry

#129861 - 11/07/02 08:26 PM Re: Live Performance Vocal Effects
Anonymous
Unregistered

Donny... Interesting that you consider the mike to make a huge difference, I'm sure you're right. I just purchased a Shure SM58 figuring it's the gold standard, can't go wrong. But in a hall with 350 people it didn't "cut through" very well (my voice is rather mellow). Do you know how the Sennheiser compares with Shure as far as presence and projection?

Thanks,
Glenn

#129862 - 11/07/02 08:31 PM Re: Live Performance Vocal Effects
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have a SM58 and also an 87 among my mics. The 87 will cut through anything. Of course it costs at least twice as much and needs phantom power, but in certain situations it's worth it.
DonM

#129863 - 11/08/02 09:08 PM Re: Live Performance Vocal Effects
Anonymous
Unregistered

Come on guys, share your secrets. The last time around it was easier... Shure VocalMaster, set the reverb to your favorite # and that's it! Or, in my case, the Echoplex... I loved that sound. Yea, we're talking years ago. Now there's so many choices and so little time!

Glenn

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online