SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#129299 - 11/15/02 11:43 AM Re: EV Sxa 100 test run by DNJ
AlexGreen Offline

Loc: Beachwood NJ USA
Hey Guys;
What about the Mackie 450 Power Amp speaker.

A while ago I went to vist Donny at his swinging pad. When I got out of my car and was walking toward the dance hall I heard this tremendous sound coming from within. It sounded like a 7 piece band. When I went inside it was Donny all by himself with this one powerful speaker.
I could not believe my ears that this one speaker was making all these great sounds and filling the whole room.

Donny knows the rest of the story . I was hooked.

I have had Yamaha,Community,York and JBL speakers and to me none of them come close to the Mackie 450.

One Mackie speaker covers the entire room. Front ,back and sides no matter how big the Dance Hall there is always power to spare.

I would not give up my one Mackie for a million dollars. Well maybe for a million but I would have to think about it.

#129300 - 11/15/02 01:09 PM Re: EV Sxa 100 test run by DNJ
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I already know how I'll get along with the barbettas ... they're fine. They don't light my fire as much as other things, but with all the trade-offs and new stuff on the horizon ..... I don't mind trying new things evry so often.(REAL often)

In a nutshell - the Barbettas have a clear, loud sound, however, I feel that they are a little too directional and brittle in the high end for me. I can come to a happy medium with EQ settings, but the overall impression is best when played at mid-volume levels. When they start to push .... the harshness becomes exagerrated. Don't get me wrong ... it's a very good sound, but the extremem high end is a little thin for my taste. The horn design of the Mackie 450 is the best I've heard. It allows dispersion all over and the tone is smooooooth as silk. The big drawback to the Mackies is the overheating problem that many have had. They simply heat up too fast when pushed, and unless the ventalation is great - they WILL shut down till they cool off.

The catalyst for this trade with Donny was partly due to my new Ford Windstar. The Evs are just a little longer than the Barbettas, and they will fit behing my third seat better. Knowing me, I'll probably have them up for sale pretty quick, but so far ...only the Yorkville powered speaker interrests me, and I haven't heard them yet. I'm going on Frans review, but that included a 600 watt subwoofer ....... not exactly a fair comparison.

So.........Barbettas, EVs or Yorkvilles .... who really cares? As long as I'm singing, all's right with the world !

....time to make the donuts........

#129301 - 11/15/02 09:19 PM Re: EV Sxa 100 test run by DNJ
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Can I get a pair of used Sxa100s from anyone anywhere for $800.
Email me.

#129302 - 11/16/02 12:03 PM Re: EV Sxa 100 test run by DNJ
shiral Offline

Loc: IL, USA
Boo, didn't EX30 work for you?

Shiral

#129303 - 11/16/02 01:09 PM Re: EV Sxa 100 test run by DNJ
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Shiral- The second one works great. However it's not a "B" stock item. It is a very used item. It's been around the block once or twice. I'm surprised Samson would send this to an internet dealer to sell as a "b" stock item.

Also I got to thinking, $399 for the used Samson or $499 for the talk of the town brand new EV SxA100. So I'm sending the Samson back and ordering the SXA 100 Monday and probably get another in the near future.

The Samson has reverb, but you really don't need effects for the keyboard. It has it's own effects. If I really need reverb I still have the nanoverb.

I mean Donny gave up his Barbetta's after playing the EV SxA 100's one night. I think Donny kept the Barbetta's longer than he kept his first wife someone told me.

What else can I say.
Boo

#129304 - 11/17/02 12:05 AM Re: EV Sxa 100 test run by DNJ
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I used the Barbettas in a highschool gym tonight for over 400 people. It was the "Father/Daughter dance and we had a ball. Not that I danced much .....but I DID sneak in a few slow numbers with my Katie.

The speakers did well, as expected, but I still say the horn is too shrill and directional for this cabinet. I know Barbetta uses a different horn if you get the model that is NOT a combo amp with a mixer. Maybe I'll replace the horn before I panic agin.

#129305 - 11/18/02 04:35 PM Re: EV Sxa 100 test run by DNJ
shiral Offline

Loc: IL, USA
Boo,

If you do not need effects, there's EX20 which sells for around $330. see,
http://www.musiciansbuy.com/samson_ex30_ex500_powered_monitors.htm

It sounds like most are happy with SXA100. I should probably try both at a store. I do not need effects either. If you happen to try SXA100, please let me/us know how you compare them (besides effects).

Thanks so much for all the info you gave here and sent me personally.

Shiral

#129306 - 11/18/02 04:39 PM Re: EV Sxa 100 test run by DNJ
Dnj Offline

EVsxa100's........so far 8 gigs and
"Two Thumbs Up"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online