SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#128219 - 11/12/04 03:27 AM Yamaha PSR 2100 and MFC 10?
lacobo Offline

Loc: Hoofddorp, NH, the Nethelands
My main instrument is a 9000 Pro with all features possible (lamps, harddrive, add-on boards, MFC-7, MFC-10 etc).
Now for on-the-road I've bought a secondhand PSR-2100 (much more portable).

I've read that it's possible to use the MFC-10 with the 2100, but after trying a lot I can't figure it out. Can anyone help me how to configure the 2100 and / or the MFC-10? Reading this forum I know it's possible...

#128220 - 11/12/04 11:59 PM Re: Yamaha PSR 2100 and MFC 10?
Beakybird Offline

I have heard that there are a lot of limitations with what you can do with a MFC10 and a PSR2000/2100. You can program any midi signal or sysex signal, but there are a lot of footswitch functions that you can setup with the PSR9000/Tyros that you can't setup with the PSR2000, 2100, or 3000.

I discovered, for example, that the FILL SELF function is created from a note on/off message when the MFC10 is used with the Tyros. This message does absolutely nothing when fed to the PSR3000.

Also, there is no such thing as an MFC-7, to my knowledge. A Google search confirms this.

Good luck,

Beakybird

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 11-13-2004).]

#128221 - 11/13/04 02:29 AM Re: Yamaha PSR 2100 and MFC 10?
lacobo Offline

Thanks for answering, but that doesn't help me a lot. All I need is the arranger functions: Main A, B, C, D and Break. Begin and End I never use on my 9000Pro config of the MFC-10 (instead I have the Harmony and Left on/of programmed, but I can even live without these on the 2100).

So who can tell me what to do to get Main A, B, C, D and Break programmed on the MFC-10?

#128222 - 11/13/04 06:36 AM Re: Yamaha PSR 2100 and MFC 10?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'm sure you are very set in youre way of triggering fills and variations, but I have to admit - it was no trouble adapting to using my left hand to trigger during performances. The buttons are so close to the keybad, and it only takes a split second to reach up ...... I only use 2 foot pedals. One for sustain, and one for vocal harmony on/off.

Give it a try and see if you can save yourself some setup time, expense, and bulk to carry!

#128223 - 11/13/04 07:41 AM Re: Yamaha PSR 2100 and MFC 10?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by lacobo:
Can anyone help me how to configure the 2100 and / or the MFC-10?.

Lacobo: I'm a former MFC10 & PSR2000 (which has the same exact midi configiration as the PSR2100) owner and have had a lot of experience using these two units together.

A critically useful feature on your 9000Pro (and on the PSR9000 & Tyros as well) is a dedicated MFC10 template 'Setup & Configuration Page,' which allows you to program (via Yamaha SysEX) & assign MFC10 foot pedal functions from the keyboard. Regretably, both the PSR2000/2100 doesn't include this.

On the PSR2100, you must program & assign foot pedal functions on the MFC10 itself, and because the MFC10 (via the unit itself) doesn't support programming anything beyond basic midi CC (control change) arranger functions (start, stop, variation 1,2,3,4, and fill), you won't be able to assign the plethera of Yamaha specific functions you could with the 9000pro via the dedicated MFC10 page.

I've since sold my MFC10 (along with manual) to SZ member Richard Peck, so perhaps he can provide you with assistance: http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/ubbmisc.cgi?action=getbio&UserName=Richard+Peck

In the meantime, here's a link to another thread on this topic:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/002455.html

Good luck,

Scott

#128224 - 11/13/04 10:08 AM Re: Yamaha PSR 2100 and MFC 10?
lacobo Offline

Thanks all. I sometimes loose the correct chord when I take my left hand from the keyboard, so if I can use my MFC-10 I reduce the risk it's more then worth it. (now keyboard-lessons since 2 1/2 years).
But I know now a lot more. I only have to take care of the MFC-10 to get things running.

#128225 - 11/13/04 10:53 AM Re: Yamaha PSR 2100 and MFC 10?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by lacobo:
Thanks all. I sometimes loose the correct chord when I take my left hand from the keyboard,

are you using the "HOLD" feature for your left hand chords?

#128226 - 11/13/04 11:07 AM Re: Yamaha PSR 2100 and MFC 10?
lacobo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
are you using the "HOLD" feature for your left hand chords?

Sure, but to be on time to get the next chord correct. On several melody's my left hand know's exactly which fingers to change to get the next chort, but I'm not really aware of the exact chord. That's no problem at all until I want to insert a break...

#128227 - 11/13/04 11:28 AM Re: Yamaha PSR 2100 and MFC 10?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Scott where can I getmore info on a technote?

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com

#128228 - 11/13/04 11:31 AM Re: Yamaha PSR 2100 and MFC 10?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
it only takes a split second to reach up ...... I only use 2 foot pedals. One for sustain, and one for vocal harmony on/off.

Even a split second off the keys can often be 'too long', especially when you're actually playing chord voicing with your left hand (with left voice ON) . Having to take your fingers off the keys interferes with the song's live left hand part musicality. For this reason, on my Tyros (which supports 3 pedals) I use a compact & lightweight personally customized Technote brand 'model FC2' FOUR (4) foot pedal unit;

assigning the 3 Yamaha Tyros dedicated foot controler foot pedal outputs to:

* Sustain
* Vocal Harmony on/off
* Fill Self (fills: single/repeatng)

I plan to assign the 4th remaining foot pedal available on the FC2 unit via MIDI, using the following small midi controller box:
http://tomscarff.tripod.com/foot_pedal/foot_switch_pedal.htm

of which I just recently purchased from our good synthzone buddy Larry Levin (Beakybird), which allows you to assign the midi pedal function to one of several midi control change functions. I plan to assign it midi sustain, freeing up the sustain pedal currently assigned on Tyros to tigger 'glide' or other Yamaha specific function.

I look forward to having four foot pedal assignments available for my Tyros now, and which is MUCH smaller, lighter, and compact than the MFC10, or most all of the other multi-foot switch pedal units out on the market.

Scott

WARNING!: Though you may possibly be able to still purchase this pedal (from the UK only): http://www.technote.com/productdetails.asp?prodid=8845&returnto=/products.asp?catid=

this cannot be used (out of the box) on a Yamaha PSR/Tyros keyboard as it was specifically designed only for the Tehnics KN5000 KN6000 keyboard. I had to remove the SINGLE output cord's multi- DIN connection, drill 4 separate holes on the back of the FC2 directly behind each foot pedal, and then mount 4 separate 1/4" sockets into each hole, soldering the pair of wires from each foot pedal wire to corresponding socket. Connecting the Tryos/PSR keyboard is now simply plug & play. - Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online