SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#12810 - 05/28/07 04:46 AM Line Output?
Composer Chick Offline

Loc: Glasgow, KY, USA
Hello,
I have a Sound-blaster Audigy sound card with midi I/O add on card.
I have had the same set up for 5 years now but today I found I lost my left channel.
My question's are; 1.) Is there a way to test the output coming out of my Casio WK-3500 to determine if it's the keyboards output.
2.) Is there a way to test the sound cards input to determine if its the sound card.
My set up;
ASUS A8V deluxe
AMD 64 bit 3000+ processor
1 Gig dual ram
Audigy sound card w/I/O
Sonar Producer 3
Casio (Don't Laugh) WK-3500

I have checked all cables and even hooked up new cables to test.
I can record MIDI as usual (both Ch record), But when I go to record Audio via the line in/out
I only get the right channel.
I ran Creative's Audio trouble shooter and it passes every thing as being OK!

So back to my question is there a fairly simple test to see if there is out put from the keyboards line out?
I did hook up head phones a could head sound via the lin out on the key board but it was very faint even with the volume up.
Should it be as loud as when hooked up to the head phones?
Thanks and have a Great Memorial Day weekend.
Regards,
CC
PS. Visit Me At:
http://www.myspace.com/composerchick

#12811 - 05/28/07 05:27 PM Re: Line Output?
jford Offline

There's a few things you could try. You might need some adapter cables, but...

If you have a home stereo system with a line in (maybe to plug an iPod or something in), try plugging the line-outs from your 3500 to the line in of the stereo and see if you get both channels.

Also, on the computer side, maybe plug an iPod or some other stereo audio device into your sound card, load an audio recording program, and see if you get stereo. That can tell you if you have a problem with the sound card. I did have an old Soundblaster that had a loose connection on the line-in and would intermittently go in and out when recording. So it's possible. Have you tried jiggling the wire while the keyboard is playing to see if that might be it.

Again, you would need an adapter cable, but you could also try connecting from the headphone output of the 3500 into the line-in on the sound card and see if you get stereo there as well. That, again, would tell you if the problem is the sound card or not.

Anyway, there's a few of things to check. Hope it helps.

- John

#12812 - 05/28/07 06:05 PM Re: Line Output?
Smokey Offline

Loc: Colorado
Try swapping the output leads on your 3500. If the sound swaps on your speakers then the problem is most likely in your 3500.
Smokey

#12813 - 05/28/07 10:58 PM Re: Line Output?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
The headphone output contains an additional amplifier to be able to drive headphones.
The Line Outs should and do give a very low signal for feeding into an amplifier, but if you can still hear a signal from L & R on headphones from the Linout test then the keyboard is OK.

#12814 - 06/12/07 06:14 AM Re: Line Output?
Composer Chick Offline

Loc: Glasgow, KY, USA
Hello,
Thank you all for your help.
It turned out to be the sound card. I did not have a convenient way to text it off my stereo but borrowed a friends mp3 player and tested the sound card and sure enough that was the problem.
I just ordered a newer sound card and can't wait to get recording again.
Have A Great Day!
CC

[This message has been edited by Composer Chick (edited 06-12-2007).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online