SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#126815 - 09/23/02 08:23 AM Yamaha or Korg?
ufriendly Offline

Loc: Bel Air, MD, USA
I am trying to decide on an 88 weighted. I am looking at the Motif 8 and the Triton Studio 88. I am also looking at the new S90, which I would have to pair up with a 61 key synth, such as the 2 mentioned above in 61 key configuration.

This is strictly for use in a small project studio.

Any suggestions?

Jack (son)

[This message has been edited by ufriendly (edited 09-23-2002).]

#126816 - 09/23/02 10:02 AM Re: Yamaha or Korg?
New Yorker Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, Russia
You're in a wrong forum, buddy

Also, when you ask such questions it is good to know for what type of music you wanna get those boards.

#126817 - 09/23/02 10:12 AM Re: Yamaha or Korg?
ufriendly Offline

Sorry! I own a Ketron and am looking to sell it, but not sure what to replace it with.

thanks
jack (son)

Quote:
Originally posted by ufriendly:
I am trying to decide on an 88 weighted. I am looking at the Motif 8 and the Triton Studio 88. I am also looking at the new S90, which I would have to pair up with a 61 key synth, such as the 2 mentioned above in 61 key configuration.

This is strictly for use in a small project studio.

Any suggestions?

Jack (son)

[This message has been edited by ufriendly (edited 09-23-2002).]

#126818 - 09/23/02 12:57 PM Re: Yamaha or Korg?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I just came back from visiting a friend who works in a major music store, plays professionally and does studio work. Like me, he has relied on Kurzweil keyboards for a long time. He says he is now using Motif's exclusively and all of his other keyboards are gathering dust. We talked about this a lot and agreed that neither of us really cared much for Yamaha synths after the DX-7 of the 80's until now. We both really like the Motif over anything made by Korg or Roland currently. For what it's worth...

#126819 - 09/23/02 01:12 PM Re: Yamaha or Korg?
ufriendly Offline

It is worth a WHOLE LOT!

Thanks so much.

j

#126820 - 09/23/02 01:59 PM Re: Yamaha or Korg?
trtjazz Offline

UF,
I owned a Motif, Karma and still have a Triton Rack.....of those there is no doubt for me the MO was the best.
Terry

#126821 - 09/23/02 02:09 PM Re: Yamaha or Korg?
ufriendly Offline

Cool. I'm feelin better by the minute.
j

#126822 - 09/23/02 02:25 PM Re: Yamaha or Korg?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Ufriendly,
I haven't played either boards, but read the synth forum at Harmony Central and those guys would say that; if you like electronic music then it's the Triton, for POP music with good acoustics then Motif. Orchestral patches Fantom. Pianos - Motif/S90, Triton pianos don't cut it. Like most people wud tell you, try them out yourself. It depends on what type of patches you prefer. The type of music you like.
Kevin

#126823 - 09/23/02 07:16 PM Re: Yamaha or Korg?
trtjazz Offline

Uf,
I think also with the Motif, you will find much better support at Motifator.com than with the Korg.
Terry

#126824 - 09/23/02 09:16 PM Re: Yamaha or Korg?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I still have my Motif and am for the most part loving it. I agree with Terry and also the assessments of " The Pro " and starkeeper. All have their strengths, bur Triton is thought of more as being stronger than the Motif for creating Synth and dance music. That is probably true until you add the analog modeling board to the Motif. That plug in has some nasty synth sounds on it and with it the Motif becomes even better than it was ( and it certainly isn;t bad ) for synth and dance music.

For acoustic sounds, especially a good all around acoustic piano and a very good "Rhodes" emulation, the Motif is a winner.

Motif support is superb, as Terry states.

I like the Triton series and also the Fantom just fine by the way, and it was by no means an easy choice when I decided between them and the Motif. In the end, I just liked the Mo a little better. Depending on what you want to do, any of the three are good boards, and as was said before, it's probably best to try them all out before making a decision

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 09-23-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online