SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#125992 - 12/29/01 11:08 AM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That's easy -
Yamaha 9000pro as the main controller, and a Roland VA (whatever)as a second sound source and smf player. Best sound combo I can think of, with the most versitility and easiest controller options. It also give the on-board monitoring I love so much, and a great vocal processor with harmony.
(Plug the 9k into the VA audio in's)
This will only use a stereo pair of inputs on your mixer/amp too. Compact, laoded with power and all the sounds you'll ever need.
The Yamaha has the modeled organs, and wonderful EP's, and the Roland GS2 acoustic piano is a dream.
So - keep your VA7, and sell the PA80 to get a 9kpro - I hear the price just dropped a bit - you'll probably do pretty well on a swap-out. Good luck, Frank !

#125993 - 12/29/01 02:31 PM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Wow: 9000 pro sounds plus VA 7 sounds and styles.....Who could ask for anything more?
I have a question, though: why a VA 7 owner would spend all that money for a 9000 pro when he can have the same sounds and better styles (and a dinamic arranger too, if I am not mistaken) for half the money in a PSR 2000?
Answer: far better keyboard action, hard disk, sampling ability....
Counter-answer: does Frankie need all these nice features?
The answer, my friend....

#125994 - 12/29/01 02:57 PM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
. . .is blowin' in the wind, the answer is blowin' in the wind.
Love it!
DonM

#125995 - 12/29/01 03:18 PM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
Uncle Dave Offline

Add to that - 76 keys, expansion slots, better control of intros, endings & fills, sczi backup.... there are two many reasons why the 9k is better than the 2k UNLESS you have to carry it around everyday.

#125996 - 12/30/01 02:16 PM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
To answer your question has 2 parts

part 1: I've learned in the past that no matter how much I consider buying something, and how I plan to use this thing, its easier to buy the top model, ex, at first you may think " I don't need a hard drive, or 76 keys? I only have 10 fingers. But as you progressin music and life things change, so is it better to have the most options available to you in the begining, or have you grow out of a keyboard, haveto sell it, take a loss, then buy the higher model later spending alot mor time and money in the long run.

Part 2 : What if I am on the way to a gig, and I'm crossing the road, and someone who has too much equipment in a very small car, can't see me and kills me dead. At least I had cool keyboards to play with before I pass.

Remember kids these are the feelings of Frank, not of everyone else.

Later

#125997 - 12/30/01 04:40 PM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
Uncle Dave Offline

See, that's where we differ. If someone kills me dead on the road, at least my 9kpro will be safe at home and only this little 2k will perish with me.
That may be my last bad joke of the year!

#125998 - 12/30/01 06:28 PM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
Dreamer Offline

Well, I can tell that we are on a cheerful mood in this very last day of the year!
Frank, I hope that 2002 will bring you a lot of cool keyboards.
Dave, I hope that you will keep your PSR 2000 at least until the end of January (but I wouldn't bet a dime.....)
Happy New Year, everybody!
Andrea

#125999 - 12/31/01 01:13 AM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
Uncle Dave Offline

Smart man ..... keep your money in your pocket! A lot of folks lost money on my Eagles yesterday !

#126000 - 12/31/01 02:52 AM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
So let me see if I got this right?

9000Pro: Ease of use is top notch, sounds are good, some are great. SMF playback is ok, it uses it XG voices instead of its better sounds. Vocalizer board is also good.
Styles are more on the Rolandish, laid back, useable but not very busy.

SD1: not as streamlined in the OP system, not as bad as Korg, close to Roland, not as easy as Yamaha. SMF very good, uses top voices, and has a better SMF find system. Vocalizer board is decent. Styles are probably on the top list, very busy, but cna't certain varations, take it down a bit.

#126001 - 12/31/01 07:27 PM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
Dreamer Offline

Frank,
if Ketron fixes some of the SD1's bugs (especially the noisy DSP but also the OS, which is non as intuitive as Yamaha's... and that's a BIG understatement...) I would consider it as a buy.
The styles are very good, probably the best as far as "musical usefulness" goes.
The SD1 sounds are impressive too, even if probably a bit over-equalized in the midrange area.
The 9000 pro seems a very safe buy (you can't go wrong with it), except that probably it is at the end of its commercial life and Yamaha is squeezing the last drops out of it, pouring many of its features in the 2000 and so preparing the advent of their next top of the line model.
I love the Roland sounds and styles too much (maybe it's just a matter of being accustomed to them) and will part with my VA 7 only when the next "top" Roland will come out.
A line-up of VA 7, 9000 pro and SD1 would be terrific indeed, but choosing between 9000 pro and SD1 it's like choosing between rationality (9000 pro) and passion (SD1)....frankly, I am glad that I haven't to do that...
Regards,
Andrea

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online