SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#125962 - 12/17/01 07:13 AM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Makes sense to me, Frank.
I guess if they made the perfect keyboard, there wouldn't be a reason to get a new one every year or so, though.
Don

#125963 - 12/17/01 08:02 AM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Or a reason for this forum

#125964 - 12/17/01 08:04 AM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
As the classic Marvin Gaye tune says:

One can have a dream, baby
Two can make that dream so real
One can talk about bein' in love
Two can say how it really feels
One can wish upon a star
Two can make that wish come true, yeah
One can stand alone in the dark
Two can make the light shine through

It takes two, baby
It takes two, baby
To make a dream come true, just takes two!

* Yamaha PSR2000
* Technics KN5000

#125965 - 12/17/01 09:23 AM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I understand fully the perspective of George Kay. Live performers embracing any keyboard cannot be the measure of the best keyboard for very simple reasons. I have been reading the posts of Uncle Dave and others and I have all respect for them and for what they do. But I believe they have totally different needs than other musicians like myself. For me, I need a keyboard that allows me to do everything and control everything EVEN if there is huge learning curve at the beginning. For me I embrace my keyboard until it dies. For them, they are willing to switch keyboard every six months, their professional careers does not allow them to spend the time to program a style from scratch or to adjust the velocity of a particular note for a song on the sequencer. They need something to do the best job right away. They cannot afford to spend six months to learn a keyboard

So when George Kay ranks SD1 to be the best... he is using the absolute scale regardless of the time to learn the keyboard. So I always say what is best really depends on what is IMPORTANT FOR YOU. What you regard as best. For me, Sk880 is the best now because it has some features that other do not have that I deem very important....although.....others may beat it in other features such as sounds...

#125966 - 12/17/01 11:29 AM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
Eric, B Online   content

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Just want to give my two cents worth.

When I went to George Kay to pick up a KB, he had just gotten the SD1 in and was very excited about it.

After listening shortly to my needs, he went straight to the Pro, and with an incredible enthusiasm demoed it for me. He never mentioned the SD1 once (even though he would have if I had asked for it).

I can surely say from my own experience that George is a great guy that listens to the consumers needs without trying to sell them something.

That's the reason why I bought my Pro from him and will buy from him again.

Eric

P.S. Thanks for the pedal George. just got here in time.

#125967 - 12/17/01 11:41 AM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
I thought you were about to sell your KN 5000...
Frank, do you still have the VA 7 you bought from Uncle Dave besides the PA 80 you bought from DonM?
In this case I would say that you are more than strong in the style department and I would go for the 9000 Pro, for its ease of use, quality of sounds and reliability; if you, on the other hand, made the BIG mistake of selling your VA 7, then I would go for the SD1, for the quality of its styles. In either case, I would say that you don't need the PA 80.
Not very diplomatic, maybe, but that's just my opinion...

#125968 - 12/17/01 11:51 AM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
frankieve Offline

I still have the VA7, and probably will keep it. I'm actually looking most likely to replace the PA 80

thanks.

PS \

Everyone here always gives the best advice, especially George, Don and all the others. I will never buy on pressure, only when my ears, eyes, and pocket can agree

thanks again

#125969 - 12/17/01 11:54 AM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
tgalf Offline

Loc: NYC, NY USA
I know I am kind of new here, but I see different draw backs from different keyboards.
Is this the reason for picking 2 keyboards?

Am I being a bit "green" by waiting to see if maybe, just maybe and let me say again maybe the General Music "Genesys" will be the first in a line of keyboards from all the manufacturers that will enable one keyboard to reasonably satisfy us keyboard arranger folks?

It could even cost double the amount (if you looking to buy two high end arrangers), but issue is one man/woman... one arranger?

We put a man on the moon almpost 40 years ago, can shoot a missle from a plane to a fox hole, and put a plastic heart in a human and we can't get a satisfactory keyboard arranger?

Thanks for letting me air. I too want the sound of a PA80, Double inputs of the PA80, O/S of the 9000Pro etc.... and it looks like General Music (odd man out here no the forum) is at least talking about it.

Cheer and great holidays to all
tgalf

#125970 - 12/17/01 01:13 PM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
I Totaly agree with SK880.

Everybody has different wishes and needs.
I personally don't mind a steep and long learning curve, i love the technology and a Kb can not have enough buttons and functions.

Weight is no problem since I just play at home. I like to have at least 76 keys and the must feel good. (thinking about adding a stage piano to my setup, just for the keys). I do not need internal speakers since they are rarely any good anyhow.

Again, no offense, just my personal opinion.
This is why there is no ideal, or "Best" keyboard.

#125971 - 12/17/01 01:19 PM Re: If you were to pick 2..., which ones?
frankieve Offline

Wow, talk about slowly getting into a whole other conversation.

Anyway thanks for all the input. Just trying to decide between a 9000pro or SD1

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online