SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#125030 - 04/27/02 05:43 PM ZIP drive attached on VA-5?
diosif Offline

Loc: Greece
Is it possible to attach a Zip drive on VA-5? I've noticed that in the place where VA-7 has the Zip, there is a plastic "cover", as if it is reserved for a additional drive...

#125031 - 04/28/02 04:08 AM Re: ZIP drive attached on VA-5?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Diosif,
I don't know if it's possibile to connect a Zip drive to the VA 5, but anyway the operative system of the keyboard wouldn't recognize it; you could argue that maybe one could then try to load the O.S. of the VA 7, but I am afraid that there is a "code" or something that prevents a model from loading the O.S. of another one...
Andrea

P.S.: in which part of Greece are you going to perform this summer?

#125032 - 05/03/02 06:41 AM Re: ZIP drive attached on VA-5?
diosif Offline

Thanks for the answer. I will be in Rhodes island this summer, somewhere by the sea!

#125033 - 05/04/02 10:11 AM Re: ZIP drive attached on VA-5?
Rock&Roll Joe Offline

Loc: Hensley, AR USA
I had wonder the same thing after I purchased my VA5. This morning I took the unit apart to look inside and discovered that there is no main board connector for an IDE cable, no power connector for the Zip, and no mounting bracket. While the software does appear to try and ping for a Zip, the physical requirements don't appear to be present.

#125034 - 05/05/02 04:31 AM Re: ZIP drive attached on VA-5?
diosif Offline

That's a pitty...
I thought I could use a zip because I don't really miss the Variphrase. I think I'm gonna sell the VA5 and buy the VA7 in order to get my hands on the zip drive which is very useful in live performance. I didn't have experience with these things when I bought it and now I realize I might made the wrong choice...Otherwise it's a great instrument...

#125035 - 05/05/02 07:11 AM Re: ZIP drive attached on VA-5?
Rock&Roll Joe Offline

Loc: Hensley, AR USA
I agree. When I purchased the VA5 I stayed away from the VA7 because I didn't need the Variphrase feature, plus I had hoped that I could latter add on a zip drive. Now a couple of strange things that I've noticed on the VA5 is the disk operation does respond that Zip is not present when trying some of the preset disk links, which does tell me that the software is attempting to ping the IDE chain. Also a few months after I purchased the unit I was powering it up and it suddenly showed a waveform audio editing screen. After peeking around and looking at the manual I discovered that the variphraise editing feature is in the VA5. But I've never been able to access that part of the program again. Best that I can guess is Roland took the VA7 OS and rather than deleting certain sections just disabled them or made them hardware sensitive. Almost like the dongle software protection device used by some companies. If I was to make a purchase today I would probably take a look at the VA76. In fact when I purchased the VA5 the 76 was not supposed to be available in the US, but now it is. Oh well the march of technology goes on.

#125036 - 05/06/02 05:47 PM Re: ZIP drive attached on VA-5?
diosif Offline

That's exactly why I posted this question. I also saw the msg "style not on Zip" and some other similar messages. I've never seen the audio editing screen though. By the way, now that in Version 2.0 the Variphrase is available also on the left hand, I cannot say it's useless! You can switch it on while playing a song and instantly you have vocals along with the chords you play on the left hand. I seriously think of selling the VA5 and buying the 7. 76 is too big for me. I want the keyboard to be "mobile" and VA5 is already heavy and big...

#125037 - 05/06/02 08:06 PM Re: ZIP drive attached on VA-5?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Oh C'mon now - it IS NOT heavy. It's big, but it's like a feather !

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online