SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#124390 - 02/26/04 09:21 AM As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Dear friends,
two events that happened in the last few days prompted me to do what I have just done: record four new songs.
The first event were the great PA1-Xpro demoes recorded by Dirk Baert (Notlos); I was particularly touched by his rendition of Corcovado and, since I like this song a lot, I thought to record another version, done live on the Tyros, so you can all compare how these two keyboards sound.
The second event was the topic posted by Jose Matias (Route 66) about the arranger playing techniques; I already replied to his topic and thought to post three more songs to illustrate what I wrote there
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/008513.html

The songs are:
- A felicidade (another Jobim classic, from the Black Orpheus movie); this song begins with just multipads playing percussion lines; then, when the style begins (the Big Band Samba) you will notice that a lot of the rhytm tracks have been muted, keeping just two brass tracks; on the other hand, I have tried to add some chord embellishments with my left hand playing a Rhodes sound.
The same techniques (use of multipads, muting of "useless" rhytm tracks and addition of a "strong" left hand sound - in this case a phased Rhodes) were used in Corcovado.
The third song is "The shadow of your smile", played with the Guitar Ballad style; this is a "late night song", where I just tried to create an atmosphere, keeping the style very simple (with just drums, bass, acoustic guitar and strings), and playing some embellishments with the left hand.
Finally, I have added a new rendition of "Triste", done with the Tyros; here again you can hear an extensive use of multipads (percussions) and the interplay between right hand (melody) and left hand (chords), often in a sort of "call and reply" play.
Okay, enough said: hope that you all will enjoy!
http://andrearotolo.tripod.com/dreamer/id1.html

#124391 - 02/26/04 09:58 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Andrea, I really love the backing 'style patterns' you used, particularly on Corcovado. Cool intro. Both yours and Dirks renditions are beautifully presented, though uniquely different. The instrument voices sound impressively REAL, like I'm listening live in concert to 'real' acoustic instruments, your delivery (expression) is also excellent. I found your explainations on 'how' you recorded these songs using multipads etc very informatative as well. Beautiful songs, and beautifully performed renditions, as usual. . . time to book a tour with Gal Costa. Bravo! - Scott

#124392 - 02/26/04 10:20 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Benno Kattenat Offline

Loc: qualicum beachBC Canada
andrea , i must sAy ,NICE!, pics are also exelent, best regards, BENNO, listening to your music right now

#124393 - 02/26/04 11:10 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
The Accordionist Offline

Brilliant!

#124394 - 02/26/04 02:02 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
notlos Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi Andrea,

Nice to hear you make also a version of the beautiful song "corcovado". I love also your version of "triste" and "the shadow.."
A little story, When i was 18 years i was playing in a Hotel in Antwerp (Belgium) for
a diner-dansant and on the other side of the street was a concerthall where the composer "Johny Mandel" was giving a concert and after the concert he came to the lobby of the hotel were i was playing. When he came in i played "the shadow of..."
not knowing he was the composer, He came to me and thanks me for playing this song. the joke is that a week later i heard from the staff from the hotel he was the composer!!!
Now i never forget the face and name of this composer !!!!
Andrea, Congratulations with your music and
keep the spirit alive !!!!!!!!!
Notlos
www.notlos.com

------------------

#124395 - 02/26/04 08:15 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
trtjazz Offline

Nice renditions and playing but I think the mixes need some attention.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#124396 - 02/27/04 12:49 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dreamer Offline

Scott, many thanks for your words; I would love to join Gal Costa on tour, but she still hasn't called me...

Benno and The Accordionist: many thanks for your words and for taking the time to listen.

Dirk, I am sure that Scott (who is a living music encyclopedia) has something to add about Johnny Mandel. Long live Bossa Nova!

Terry, many thanks for your words: speaking of the mix, I think that you are referring to the Rhodes sound, which I used for the left hand: I agree that it's a bit muddled, especially in "A felicidade". Fact is that what sounds musically inappropriate (i.e. a more aggressive sound) can sometimes cut better through a mix... or are you referring to something else?

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 02-27-2004).]

#124397 - 02/27/04 04:02 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
trtjazz Offline

Andrea
What I thought might use a bit of attention would be the balance of instruments and placement.

The lead instruments in all the cuts I thought really overpowerd the rest of the mix, for all dynamics, placement and presence. Otherwise I thought the execution itself was great as always.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#124398 - 02/27/04 10:19 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Daddy JJ Offline

Good job Andrea !!

I'm very glad to hear again some music from you I missed it !

By the way , is that the same version of "Shadow of your smile" I've heard from you a few months ago ?

Molto congratulazione Andrea
JJ

#124399 - 02/27/04 10:41 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dreamer Offline

Terry,
I will treasure your observation about the mix; I have to say that I don't like styles that sound too busy, especially because some rhytm tracks tend to sound too artificial, so it's true that I often lower or mute instruments I don't like. What I could probably do is lower also the volume of the solo instruments and this would make the other tracks more audible.
Thank you for your feedback

JJ,
I appreciate a lot your words and I hope to post more songs in the future, now that the reflexive phase seems over and... yes, it's the same song, only normalized (I raised the volume because it was a bit low).
Saluts!
Andrea

#124400 - 02/27/04 02:11 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
trtjazz Offline

Andrea
I too prefer not too many instruments in a mix. What I do if it's any value, is just leave them out rather than mute them far back in the mix, meaning think trio instead of a larger band.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#124401 - 02/27/04 06:43 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Andrea

I Must agree with Terry.
I like B. Nova with clean arrangements and few instruments. Great orchestras and large bands tryed to make great arrang. with the Jobim's themes without success. The Jobim's trade mark was always the simplicity. No miraculous arpeggios, a lot of strings, etc;just few notes placed in right places in right times, nothing more.

Chico

#124402 - 02/27/04 11:14 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dreamer Offline

Dear friends, I have listened again to these songs and I think that maybe I could lower the solo track a tad, but not too much. Since I am not satisfied with many of the stock bossa nova styles that ALL the arranger keyboards have, I have tried a different approach: lower or even mute some of the rhytm tracks and use the multipads (percussions) instead. I am satisfied with this approach and will post more songs along these lines in the future.
I am glad that what I am doing is stimulating a discussion among us.

#124403 - 02/28/04 04:55 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
SD_FAN Offline

Loc: São Paulo, SP / Brazil
Hi Andrea.

With many or few instruments in a style, it´s always very nice to hear your renditions.

Congratulations, my friend.
Armando

#124404 - 02/28/04 07:05 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dreamer Offline

Thank you, Armando. It's good to hear from you.

#124405 - 02/28/04 07:10 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I have to disagree with the others here who think the lead volume is too loud. To my ears, and thru my computer's sound system (Cambridge SoundWorks) the lead mix sounds 'right on' the way it is. The lead instrument should'nt imo be buried (lost) in the mix. I also feel that the number of instruments used sounds fine.

Andrea (Dreamer), I'm really interested in finding out 'which' specific Tyros multipads were used and 'where' they were used on given songs.

Ok you guys, if you like the songs posted on Andrea's website now, wait till you hear his latest new renditions of: Wave, Girl From Ipanema, and So Nice (Samba de Verao). I think with these, he reaches new heights, particularly in the sense that the melodies have added improvisational spark with an even more 'freer' natural feel than ever. Bravo.

And 'don't forget' to checkout Andrea's cool sounding left hand played 'rootless' chord voicings, most evident on: Girl From Ipanema & Wave. This can only be achieved with an arranger keyboard that recognizes rootless jazz chords (Yamaha Tyros/PSRs, Ketron SD1, and Technics only) . Ok Andrea, when are you going to post these latest (and greatest) songs? - Scott

#124406 - 02/28/04 07:15 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Dreamer,

I really enjoyed your music. It reminded me of Fausto Pappeti. I wonder if he still alive.

I liked "The shadow of your smile" the best.

#124407 - 02/28/04 07:37 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Andrea..... Your music is beautiful, and I also thought the mix was fine through my Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2, and the DELL 5.1 speakers .....
Where are the new tunes Scott mentioned?
t.

#124408 - 02/28/04 08:13 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Dear friends, I have listened again to these songs and I think that maybe I could lower the solo track a tad, but not too much. Since I am not satisfied with many of the stock bossa nova styles that ALL the arranger keyboards have, I have tried a different approach: lower or even mute some of the rhytm tracks and use the multipads (percussions) instead. I am satisfied with this approach and will post more songs along these lines in the future.
I am glad that what I am doing is stimulating a discussion among us.

Andrea,
That's all that really matters, that you're satisfied with it. Which on my work causes a great deal of heated debate here.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#124409 - 02/28/04 09:22 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dreamer Offline

SK880 user, thank you for your kind words; I really appreciate them, especially because you haven't been posting too much lately and ... I am sorry to inform you that Fausto Papetti died a few years ago. I didn't specifically listen to his records, but I agree that he could have been a subconscious influence, since his music was very popular in Italy in the past years and still is.

Tony, this is the first time that you honor me listening to my music; many thanks to you and also to your new computer.

Now, following Scott's advice, I have decided to upload to my site not three but FIVE new-old songs, meaning that they are new recordings of songs I had already recorded some time ago, with the 9000 pro or even the Roland VA7. This time I have decided to record them again with the Tyros, to illustrate my use of multipads associated with latin styles, especially Bossa Nova.
So, the new songs are:
- Desafinado
- Garota de Ipanema/Girl of Ipanema
- Samba de uma nota sò/One note samba
- Samba de Verão/So nice
- Wave

All these songs were recorded live (no overdubbings) on the Tyros, using the "Pop Bossa 2 style" (my favorite), associated with the "Rumba 8 beat" multipad. I usually start with the multipad # 2 or 3 and then add the others during the song, but don't advice to use more than three multipads together, because this can cause a sound cluttering. Other multipads that seem to work well with these styles are the "Conga & Bongo 1" and the "Shaker & Tambourine", but I am sure that there are many others as well, and this means that every Tyros owner can (and should) experiment a bit.
Okay, that was all; I hope that you like the results and... thank you for listening.

#124410 - 02/28/04 10:02 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Andrea,

I finally found the time to listen to your new recordings (I'm still with problems downloading the last two). You play these bossas with a lot of "finesse", and your simple left hand /auto accompaniement really sounds nice for this music style. What kind of electric piano are you using in your left hand comping? Looking back to your early recordings, your playing style really became more mature, with tastefull impros along well done left hand comping. Bravissimo!...

-- José.

#124411 - 02/28/04 10:49 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dreamer Offline

Josè,
I am glad that you were able to listen to these songs, because I know that you too love this kind of music.
Re. the Rhodes sound, well it depends: on Corcovado and Ipanema is the PhasedEP; on other songs is the SuitcaseEP, the Jazz Chorus or the ModernEP: these are, more or less, my favorite ones.

#124412 - 02/28/04 01:17 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Tony, this is the first time that you honor me listening to my music; many thanks to you and also to your new computer.

Andrea ...... Unfortunately, my old PC did not have the capacity for me to listen to mp3s ..... I'm now having a great time listening to ALL the great players/singers on this forum ..... perhaps before too long I will master the technique of creating my own mp3s (and have the courage to submit them), if someone would afford me the opportunity of putting them up on a site for others to hear and (dare I say) critique .......
t.

#124413 - 02/28/04 02:00 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Oi Andrea.

Sorry for the delayed reply.
As you know, I had some problems this week and just today I could download and listen your new performances.
Great job, with a brasilian performar taste.

Chico

#124414 - 02/28/04 02:10 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dreamer Offline

Chico,
I really appreciate your words and value them a lot, as usual.

#124415 - 02/28/04 02:12 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dnj Offline

Andrea.....Just listened to your fantastic new tunes....as I was listening I reclined in my throne and closed my eyes I was transported to a beautiful place like San Tropez....sipping an Ice Cold Marguarita!! Well done!, the bongos panned right gives a nice feel...
I would suggest a bit more volume on the electric piano during the other great instrument solos....Bravo!

Thanx so much my Italian Paisan !!

Ciao

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-28-2004).]

#124416 - 02/28/04 05:24 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
trtjazz Offline

Andrea,
These new / old songs postings are absolutely fantastic in all ways. Execution recording everything is perfect.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#124417 - 02/28/04 05:58 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Andrea,
I just finished listening (and saving) all of your songs. Listening to your Sambas has given me the challenge to try to do as well.
(At least it's a goal).
Your photography is equally good. I like your composition - makes all the difference in the world. It distinguishes whether you simply have a picture, or a picture worth looking at. Yours are certainly worth looking at!
The very best to you,
Walt

#124418 - 02/28/04 07:20 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
RichUK Offline

Loc: England
Beautiful, Andrea. Thank you for sharing your wonderful recordings.

All the best,
Rich

#124419 - 02/28/04 07:56 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Andrea
I'm a man of few words....so..
WOW! ...L

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 02-28-2004).]

#124420 - 02/28/04 08:20 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Excellent recordings Andrea! Beautiful Latin sounds. Thanks for sharing with us.

Best regards,
Mike

#124421 - 02/28/04 11:26 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dreamer Offline

Donny, what can I say? I am extremely pleased that my songs have that effect on a seasoned pro like you! It'a rainy winter day here in Rome, but after reading your comment it seems like there is a bit of sun in the sky
Ciao!

#124422 - 02/28/04 11:27 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dreamer Offline

Terry, I am really happy that you like my new songs... from every point of view!

#124423 - 02/28/04 11:31 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dreamer Offline

Walt, you are really very kind and your words mean a lot to me. I have read of your intentions to take part to the get-together organized by Scott Yee and Bebop in San Josè... since this time I too won't be able to attend, hope that we will be able to meet in the future, because I am sure that it will be a success and many others will follow.

#124424 - 02/28/04 11:36 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dreamer Offline

Rich, many thanks also to you.
I apologize for not having commented your songs; I did listen to them and agree with Scott, who was the first one to point out to me how expressive your voice is. Fact is that in the last weeks for different reasons I did not feel like playing or posting much on this Forum, but I really enjoyed your songs...and hope that in the future you will post more of them!

#124425 - 02/28/04 11:37 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dreamer Offline

Leon... in one word: thanks!

#124426 - 02/28/04 11:42 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dreamer Offline

Mike, from one Tyros owner to another (the copyright of the phrase is owned by Don Mason ): many thanks for your words. You are one of the most active Forum members when it comes to posting music and this is an extremely positive thing because, like I wrote in the title, a song (an example) is worth a million words!

#124427 - 02/29/04 01:39 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
notlos Offline

Hi Andrea,
i have listen to your last added songs like the girl and one note samba,... You have the feeling of good "bossa playing"Like i always say i have heard songs of years before of you and i can say that the progress is amazing !! Your songs are great to listen and i enjoy it at this moment while drinking coffee and listen to this beautiful music !!!!

regards,

notlos
www.notlos.com

------------------

#124428 - 02/29/04 02:08 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Daddy JJ Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by notlos:
[B]Like i always say i have heard songs of years before of you and i can say that the progress is amazing !!

[I agree with Dirk in this case..It seems you have more velocity in your fingers, the impro's are better and your manner to play is more "supple"
Is that the result of hard work or did you take lessons or maybe an extra inspiration .... In one word : Bravo !!
JJ

[This message has been edited by Daddy JJ (edited 02-29-2004).]

#124429 - 02/29/04 03:06 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dreamer Offline

Dirk,
I am really happy to hear these words of praise from you; as you know, we share the love for the same kind of music and listening to your music is always a great pleasure and also an inspiration for me... by the way, can I ask you to post your songs more often and not only when a new keyboard comes to your shop?
So, what can I say? My hope is that one day we too can arrange a Synthzone get-together, maybe in Northern Europe: since so many of our Forum members live in Holland or Belgium or United Kingdom, it would be great to meet in a place of your choice. I hope that also JJ and Roel and John Smies and Wazza and Sander and all our english/scottish/welsh friends would partecipate. What do you think?

#124430 - 02/29/04 03:14 AM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dreamer Offline

JJ,
once again, thanks for your words and -to answer your question- I think that I am simply letting myself go more. I think that we all, when are in particular state of mind, can feel inside us "how" a song should be played; so now I try to second these moments and experiment with my fingers until I find the right notes to press to achieve those sounds. I never took regular piano lessons, so the technical aspect has always been a problem to me but -with the years- looks like I am beginning to overcome some of these problems. Maybe part of the result depends on the keyboard too: the Tyros seems to give me a degree of freedom that I have never found in other keyboards; of course it's not perfect, but maybe is the best compromise I have found. I still have to try out the Kork Pa1-Xpro, however, and I am really anxious to hear new songs from you.
Ciao!
Andrea

#124431 - 03/01/04 01:17 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Outstanding selection of four of my favorites..."world class" music played with great artistry.

Thanks,

Russ

#124432 - 03/01/04 03:03 PM Re: As Confucious said, four songs are better than four million words...
Dreamer Offline

Thanks to you, Russ; your words mean really a lot to me.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online