SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#124371 - 01/06/05 09:32 PM Phantom picks up speed ....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've been doing songs from the play for 20 or more years, but since the movie hit this month ( in the US, anyway )people are gaga for the music! I had to do my medley twice tonight in two successive sets.
The pipe organ is so impressive that if you time it out right .... you cn shut up a whole room for 2-3 minutes and not get a single volume complaint!

I have several peaks and vallys in the medely and it forces the listener to do just that ... LISTEN. Bar talk ceases and all eyes are on "The Phantom".

That's the way I wish the whole might could be. Sigh ......... it's over now ... the music of the night.

#124372 - 01/06/05 10:01 PM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Hey Cousin.....still waiting for you to put it up on your web-site...remember, It's my favorite also....saw it 8 times with Michael and Sara....

#124373 - 01/07/05 04:36 AM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Hell, 10 years ago I had learned all the lyrics by heart. Couldn't sing though, and it is much worse now.

I believe that the original performance in the UK with Sarah brightman was never released in Video format.

What songs do you play in that medley Uncle Dave?

#124374 - 01/07/05 05:03 AM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
correction more than 10, maybe 14 years, (as if it matters).

#124375 - 01/07/05 05:44 AM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
Uncle Dave Offline

My medley weaves in and out of several songs, starting with:
Think of me
All I ask of you
Music of the night
Wishing you were somehow here again
Phantom of the Opera (Main theme)
Masquerade
(reprise)Music of the night

I play the first 4 numbers with just piano and strings, no rhythm, then when the pipe organ kicks in, I use a Rock rhythm and do the Main theme and a few little visitations of prior melodies before the climax ... then an abrupt cut .....
and I go back to the piano/strings to gentley articulate the ending, much the same as the ending in the original score ...
It's awesome stuff to play... the extreme changes in tempo and volume, the dynamics of it all is such a rush for me.

As the last note is fading, slowly .... the room is usualy SO quiet that they seem to be waiting for a curtain to drop!
There's NO business like show business, right Ethyl?

#124376 - 01/07/05 11:52 AM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
Uncle Dave Offline

Wow ... Boo said he HATES the Phantom.
What a pity.....it's a masterpiece of music and emotion. Visually, it's enthralling and sonically ...... it makes my hair stand on end. ( both of them ! )

#124377 - 01/08/05 12:57 AM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
vclocke Offline

Loc: riverside, ca, usa
You're absolutely right Uncle Dave - it's AMAZING !!(Phantom that is) I'm an Andrew Lloyd (and Sarah) fan anyway. I've been playing his "stuff" for many a year. Have seen about 6 of his musicals (Phantom 3 times). I am working on his music for a cd later in the Spring. By the way - I do have some problems with the chords in some of his music - so, some I don't play. Anyway - it's too bad that "some" don't like Phantom. (But then, I don't like RAP either).

vc

------------------
Vern

#124378 - 01/08/05 07:07 AM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
Dnj Offline

Sorry I never saw Phantom..I know some of the songs...........
but Im a big fan of "WEST SIDE STORY"
"BYE BYE BIRDIE" & "GREASE"

My favorite broadway song is from
"Jekyl & Hyde" called "THIS IS THE MOMENT" original cast version...

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-08-2005).]

#124379 - 01/08/05 07:31 AM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I have to say that I never liked "Phantom" either. There are some solo performers in my area who specialize in it, but when they go from playing standards to suddenly dropping into a medley of POTA tunes there's a split in the audience between those who are enthralled and those who figure the night is over and it's time to go. I like ALW's music generally, especially "Jesus Christ Superstar" and, believe it or not, "Starlight Express"... but "Phantom" strikes me as overly pretentious. Critics aren't being too kind on the movie so far either. The movie version of "Cats" didn't do much for me or the critics either. I may get around to learning "Music Of The Night" someday - maybe a reggae version .

A few years back a freind of mine was looking forward to the release of the George Clooney remake of "Ocean's Eleven" because he thought this would be the kick off for a Rat-Pack revival since the original movie starred Frank Sinatra. He was learning Rat-Pack music like mad in preparation. Turned out that the hit song from the second "Ocean's Eleven" was the remake of the obscure Elvis tune "A Little Less Conversation". I never got around to asking him if he went on an Elvis jag over that or not.

#124380 - 01/08/05 07:41 AM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
Turned out that the hit song from the second "Ocean's Eleven" was the remake of the obscure Elvis tune "A Little Less Conversation"

That song also gained popularity by being performed on AMERICAN IDOL last years Finals when Jon Peter Lewis sang it.........by the way the new season starts on JAN 21, 2005

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-08-2005).]

#124381 - 01/08/05 02:25 PM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
vclocke Offline

Donny and PRO,

I can appreciate that some don't care for POTO - I do. But by all means that's not all that I like. There were a couple of good tunes from Jekyl & Hyde (including the one you mentioned. Another musical (kind of obscure) was "Steel Pier" that had some decent music in it - I'm not sure but I think it also had Linda Eder in it. I've always liked semi-classical and show tunes.

#124382 - 01/08/05 03:33 PM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by vclocke:
Donny and PRO,
I can appreciate that some don't care for POTO

vclocke.....its not that I dont care for POTO but its that I never had the chance to go and see the live stage performance....I am very open to do that one day for sure I love any kind of live shows.

#124383 - 01/09/05 12:02 AM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
vclocke Offline

Actually Donny -

I was not referring to you "not caring for POTO".
There were a couple of others I think that mentioned they did not care for it. There are alot of good "showtunes" out there.

vc

------------------
Vern

[This message has been edited by vclocke (edited 01-09-2005).]

#124384 - 01/09/05 12:10 AM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
vclocke Offline

Uncle Dave,

I bet you "rock" the venue with some of the pipe organ numbers from POTO. Like I said, I'm not too adept at some of the numbers -Think of me, All I ask of you, Wishing you were somehow here again aren't too bad but I can't handle more than 4 - 5 sharps or flats. If I remember right Wishing You were... has about 5 flats in it. The Phantom of The Opera is a little complicated for me. I try though.

vc

------------------
Vern

#124385 - 01/09/05 06:34 AM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
Uncle Dave Offline

Vern,
I was never blessed with a "broadway" range. My voice is mostly a baritone with a few "gifts" from the lower tenor range once in a while. Because of that - I do mostly everything in different keys than the original. My Phantom medely started in C, but after a few years, smokely bars and 6 nights of singing per week ... I lowered it to B(using the transpose key)
I now do the first few balads in B, then "Wishing" is in Bb and when the pipe organ kicks in, I'm in Cm, so the POTO song starts on an Fm chord when the vocal starts.
In these keys I can stay within the most powerful areas of my range without fear of missing or cracking notes.(like poor Carlotta does in the play!)

Don't be a slave to original keys. The "RIGHT" key is the one that the lead can perform in, whether it's vocal or instrumental.
There are VERY few songs I do in the original keys. REALLY, really few.

#124386 - 01/10/05 01:58 AM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
vclocke Offline

That would be great UD,

However my transposing skills are severely lacking. It would be good if I could find all the music I need in the key of C and then use the transpose button. The only POTO music I have found is in the original keys. Do you have a source for music in what ever key you need - or do you transpose all of your music into your vocal range?

Thanks UD,

vc

------------------
Vern

#124387 - 01/10/05 09:46 AM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
Uncle Dave Offline

I don't think C is always the easiest key, but if you must use a transpose button .... be careful not to go too far. Some parts sound yucky if they are raised or lowered too much.
As for reading ...... I hardly ever do. I listen to the arrangement and transcribe it as it plays. Call me and I'll walk you through my method.
215-269-2929

#124388 - 01/10/05 11:36 AM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by vclocke:
It would be good if I could find all the music I need in the key of C and then use the transpose button. The only POTO music I have found is in the original keys.
vc

You could also type it in to notational software, transpose it, and print it out in the new key.
Starkeeper

#124389 - 01/10/05 07:01 PM Re: Phantom picks up speed ....
vclocke Offline

Uncle Dave

I may give you a call before to long (since you offered). Thanks !!

Starkeeper

Can you recommend a notational software? I know there was one on the PSR forum and I tried it a couple of times. Seemed to be OK -but I didn't get serious with it. Thanks !!

vc

------------------
Vern

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online