SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#122340 - 08/21/01 10:37 PM to uncle Dave: yam 9kpro
merlin2812 Offline

Hello uncle Dave,

I don't really know you, but after reading so many messages from you, I had a few questions...
First of all, it seems you really like the Yam 9Kpro, but that gear isn't that much different from the 9k, right? So what did make you like it so much? I tough you really liked the X1, so what made the difference? And did you try the SD1? Doesn't make you change your mind? Or maybe you don't like the last Solton at all???
I was just wondering...

Friendly,

Merlin

#122341 - 08/21/01 10:55 PM Re: to uncle Dave: yam 9kpro
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Merlin,
I DID like the X1 alot when it came out, because until then - there were no "in your face" sounds and styles that I'd heard. The kn series was tired, the i series had a dated sound, and the Roland styles left me yawning.......
The X1 really woke me up, but there were too many performance shortcuts for my style of play. The 9000PRO has a MUCH improved grand piano over the PSR model, and MUCH better key action. Two things that are dear to my heart. The organs in the PRO also have a slight edge, although the PSR is DAMN good. The leslie sim is soooo good in both.
I plan to keep the 9k at home in my studio, since it has no speakers for live monitors. Lately, I've been doing lots of tracks on MD and sequencers, so the kb is not as vital to me as it was a year ago. I can play anything if I have too, but the ideal situation would be a 61 note 9kPRO with speakers.
That is one big reason that the SD1 holds no fascination for me. The Yamaha has so much going for it in signal proccessing, sounds, styles, key feel, EZ seq record, etc.... I don't think I am missing anything I want for studio use. THere are lots of routing options, XLR mic pre amp - the list is sooooo long!
One thing is certain - after a few months of lugging around the PSR9k - I will NEVER, EVER use another beast that weight and size again for road work. I am too spoiled by the tiny setup that I designed a few years ago, and I "ain't goin back" !!!!
Currently in the studio, I have:
9kPRO, XP80, JV1080, 7 exp boards, EP9, Parker Fly Deluxe guitar, Fender Jazz bass, Guild acoustic bass, Ibanaez acoustic guitar, all the signal proccessing gear I need, CD dubbing, cassette dubbing, MD dubbing - I don't need another blessed thing!
......well, just a keyboard that does what i want. That would be nice.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online