SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#121965 - 11/10/00 08:48 AM Re: Tell a Story about a Special Customer or "Fan"
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm certainly familiar with Joey D., and of course Jimmy Smith is legendary, but who is Groove Holmes? He must not get to Louisiana much!
DonM

#121966 - 11/10/00 09:19 AM Re: Tell a Story about a Special Customer or "Fan"
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi DonM,
"Groove" Holmes unfortunately doesn't get to Louisiana much anymore because he died in back in 1991.

You can check out Richard "Groove" Holmes's discography at: http://allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=B87547

Scott

#121967 - 11/10/00 11:54 PM Re: Tell a Story about a Special Customer or "Fan"
Jim Henry Offline

Loc: Surprise AZ USA
Eighteen years ago, I was playing a supperclub in Sun City AZ called Tivoli (backwards, that spells "I-lov-it!") Gardens. For several months, a wacky looking woman visited weekly and requested "Embraceable You." She'd put about 5 pennies down on the keyboard, smile, and return to sit alone (as always) at her table, still wearing the well worn coat she's walked in with.

One day, she asked me if I knew why she always requested "Embraceable You." I must've looked blank because she proceeded to tell how she'd been an English teacher in Italy during the Second World War and, when the bands came through to entertain the boys, the Italians who heard the music flipped for "Embraceable You." They loved the song because, as she told me, they could say the title in Italian--"ahm-brah-chay-ablay-ee-oo." She smiled so big when she remembered how funny that had been.

The last time I saw her, she requested the song, put a small can full of pennies on the keyboard, and said that she was moving into a distant retirement home and would never return. She told me I could have the rest of her pennies.

I'm glad I remember her because, since she had no family and was somewhat of a recluse before becoming a complete hermit in the retirement home, I think I'm the only person in the world who ever thinks of her.

There must be others like her for whom we entertainers provide a treasured moment of recognition and human contact. I've always felt richer for having known the people who think their lives aren't interesting. I like hearing their stories. They help me know that we're all just folks.

Jim Henry

[This message has been edited by Jim Henry (edited 11-10-2000).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online